Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 07:12   #16

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
A new spectra lift went on this weekend. Same price as wire, easy to splice thimbles into, light so it blows away from the sail.
Sunday was a drifer, so I did in fact use the lift as intended to take the weight of the boom off the sail and make about 1kt of speed.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 18:19   #17

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Sunday was a drifer, so I did in fact use the lift as intended to take the weight of the boom off the sail and make about 1kt of speed.
I sail a loose footed main so a topping lift wouldn't really change the sail shape but the topping lift has a few other functions; 1) as a lift to take some of the load from the spring loaded vang, 2) to store the boom higher up when the sail is flaked, 3) for lifting heavy objects on/off the boat, 4) and as a spare main halyard if ever needed.
Old 03-11-2009, 20:48   #18

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I sail a loose footed main so a topping lift wouldn't really change the sail shape
I think that the looseness of the foot is probably not the crux in most cases, more likely the lack of a spring loaded (or pneumatic / hydraulic) vang. If, as is the case on my tub, the vang is only a cascaded downhaul, with no support to hold the boom up, then, especially in light conditions, attaching the topping lift can stop the weight of the boom from dragging the main down and changing its shape.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 20:59   #19

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Why do you think wire has traditionally been used for topping lifts? Was it because in the past lines had not been developed that were small enough and strong enough to hold the boom?
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 21:26   #20

Boat: S2 35c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Not really. Depends if the boom needs support. I don't support mine on the lazy jacks. My topping lift goes from the mast head down with wire but then switches to rope for the part that is adjusted. When you sail the topping lift serves no purpose.

The topping lift does serve a purpose when you sail it is a mainsail shape adjusting line which can impart twist into the main improving performance in light air
Maggie-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 23:40   #21
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
Why do you think wire has traditionally been used for topping lifts? Was it because in the past lines had not been developed that were small enough and strong enough to hold the boom?
That's pretty much it. Mind you may Toppers were also spare halyards for which wire was better. Some do use rope but it's usually big and ugly where the newer stuff is so much smaller and nicer to use. Also the cost differences are closing.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 16:23   #22

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
I just spliced up a new topping lift. I am going to make it adjustable from mid-boom position by running the tail from the bom up through this ring and back to the boom and fwd..

It gives me a 2-1 purchase, and will make it handier to adjust. (Or so the thought goes)

It is 1/4 Dyneema. Same size as my halyards, so it is available to hoist the main if need be. The haylards are all covered with larger skins from double braid to fatten it up. The 1/4" stuff is plenty strong, just hard on the hands at this size.

The boat is wire free....all gone. Standing rigging, steering, halyards...on and on....see URL below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1099.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	490.5 KB
ID:	10903   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1098.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	481.8 KB
ID:	10904  

Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 13:59   #23

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Looks good!

How do you measure your tension on the shrouds?
Old 05-11-2009, 14:10   #24

Boat: Cascade
Nice Job! Interesting to go wire free.
Old 05-11-2009, 14:13   #25

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
You treat it just like wire, and most riggers I have spoken with agree (Brion Toss being first to tell me)

You set the stays to "firm" and go out for a sail in light air, tightening the leeward side as you tack back and forth. For this you can use your hands. I have also used a halyard to bring up on the tail of the deadeye, usually for the backstay while at the dock. It is 8-1 purchase, so you get as much tension as you want.

The option is also there to use your turnbuckles. You can see that at Colligomarine.com

There is currently no "Loos guage" that works on rope, but boats are out circumnavigating without it. Brion showed me how you can "twang" a stay to hear if it is close to other side. Also by yanking on it. It sounds funky, but is pretty darn close.
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift