Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2014, 15:35   #1

Boat: Morgan 27
Topping lift question

My stick is on the hard and it is being completely re-rigged. My question, is it better to have a halyard like setup so that the line is fixed on the boom ran up to the mast head thru a block and down to a winch or fixed at the mast head down to the end of the boom with some extra line for small adjustments.

I guess my real question is being able to adjust the boom via a winch need and to what benefit. Thanks Paul M
Autumns Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 15:49   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: Toping lift question

I'd go for your first suggestion, have the topping lift fixed to boom end by shackle, bowline or your choice of knot/hitch, then to mast head and back to the deck.
Easy to adjust topping lift, and if you lose the main halyard, you have a ready spare in the way of the topping lift.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 16:12   #3

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumns Wind View Post
I guess my real question is being able to adjust the boom via a winch need and to what benefit. Thanks Paul M
I would go with you first set up. In answer to your real question, yes you will want to vary the hight of your boom. On mine I lift the boom up high to have lots of head room in the cockpit when the main is down especially at anchor when there are 3 or 4 aboard and everyone is moving around. Most times when sailing the topping lift is slack to to let the main be tight, sometimes though I want to lift the boom a little to let a little air spill out.
Old 20-02-2014, 16:38   #4

I went to a vinyl covered SS cable on my last 3 boats and prefer it. The cable is affixed at the masthead and has a single block at the lower end. (maybe 3-4 ft above the boom). A soft line is deadeyed on the boom, run up thru the block on the cable and back to a turning block on the boom ...and then up to a cleat on the forward 1/3 of the boom. Get's you a nice 2 part purchase and easy adjustment.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 16:45   #5
Marine Service Provider

I had to chuckle when you said your Stick was on the hard. I have not given much thought to topping lifts but now that you have mentioned it I think I like the setup where the left is sent to the and of the boom that is to say though and then forward to a small plate installed at an angle on the boom. On the other hand the big question is do you wish to be able to adjust it while standing in the cockpit or by the mast. I think it's just a matter of personal preference. I hope this helps
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 16:48   #6

I found once I got mine where I wanted it, it rarely needed adjustment, but I wasnt using a boom gallows.

Old 20-02-2014, 16:52   #7

I found that when I installed the boom gallows, I ended up removing the topping lift, since it wasnt needed anymore. I have to admit that I have a dislike of topping lifts. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 16:58   #8

So... I've wondered... if you have a gallows and no topping lift, what do you do when you are reefing? When you release the halyard to pull the luff down.....the boom is banging on the gallows isnt it?

Old 20-02-2014, 20:22   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Topping lift is fixed at the masthead with a three part tackle and block with jam cleat on the aft end of the boom. Changed to a Dyneema fixed portion of the topping lift from Wire. The wire totally chafed the leech of the sail in the hands of the previous owner. Used 1/8" for the fixed part of the topping lift and 1/4" for the three part tackle. When I replace the fixed part will go with larger line. Not for strength but because the small diameter line 'sings' when the wind gets much above 5k.

Like the topping lift adjustment at the aft end of the boom. The rigging is simple and can be adjusted from the cockpit.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 20:35   #10

When reefing the boom drops onto the gallows and then into one of the three notches on the gallows. It is then very solid ,so that you can go about the buisiness of reefing without the boom swaying like it would hanging from a topping lift. It works great and always felt pretty safe. The argument that raising the main without support from a topping lift is valid, but the damage done to the leach by topping lifts slapping ,I believe is a bigger problem. You also can put the boom off to whatever side you want when at anchor. _____Grant.
Old 20-02-2014, 20:41   #11

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

My topping lift is fixed to the end of the boom then runs up to the mast head and down internally to a turning block and then a winch on the cabin top. My boom is fairly heavy. I have a substantial boom gallows. And the topping lift is part of the Dutchman Flaking System. All together it works well for me, single handed or with my wife as co-captain.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 20:51   #12

Tayana 42, do you drop the boom into the gallows to reef, or do you reef with the boom hanging on the topping lift? ______Grant.
Old 20-02-2014, 21:00   #13

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Usually with the boom hanging from the topping lift. I either head up a little or ease off a bit, support the boom with the topping lift and lower the sail to reef it. I use a single line reef run to the mast.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 21:24   #14

Boat: CORBIN 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Tayana 42, do you drop the boom into the gallows to reef, or do you reef with the boom hanging on the topping lift? ______Grant.
there is no safe way of reefing the sail with the boom in the gallows notch, maybe this can be done with no air and at the dock but at sea? cripes, the wind is blowing the sail all around, lifting out of the gallows and beating the crap out of it. not to mention the poor fellow who is trying to reef the sail with all the banging and swinging around going on. eventually the boom has to raise up anyway when reef is complete. better to have a topping lift on and let the sail find it's way smoothly.
sailr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 22:24   #15

Re: Topping lift question

You seem to have missed the point. There is no banging or swinging around, and having done it many times on long passages, it works very well. _Have you tried it? _____Grant.

Tags
lift