Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2020, 09:17   #1
Cdn

Trade Wind Sails BWR or Parasailor

Looking at trade wind sails for Hanse 508. Any preference? Safety?

More reviews on the Parasailor, not many on the BLue Water Runner.
Cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:44   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Trade Wind Sails BWR or Parasailor

Neither, unless you are bringing a crew of 4 or more.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:50   #3
Cdn

Hi Don,

Which one do you have?

The Blue Water Runner can be furled in single handed from the cockpit..: not sure why I would need 4 crew.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:54   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

My bad. I thought a Blue Water Runner was an asymmetric spinnaker with a sock, not a twin furling headsail. I have used the twin furling sails myself, and would definitely recommend them short handed.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:42   #5

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Neither, unless you are bringing a crew of 4 or more.
A lot of people, like every singlehander out there fly spinnakers. It's much easier with more people but not all that difficult by yourself.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:48   #6

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

OP doesn't state what type boat he has or his intentions which could be of value inthe decision.

Between the 2, I'd opt for the Parasailor based on research I've done. It is a single sail that can be flown at much more of an angle to the wind then just DDW. Having a Cat and the ability have a floating tack from either bow gives this sail a much broader range of use which is important to me.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 13:07   #7

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

Had ordinary Spi and still have my Parasailor2. Most forgiving Spi ever. Not looking like Mr Schwarzenegger it takes 2 of us to handle it. For one it might be possible in fine weather and the well designed original sock, but i would not recommend it.
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 19:10   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn View Post
Looking at trade wind sails for Hanse 508. Any preference? Safety?

More reviews on the Parasailor, not many on the BLue Water Runner.
I don’t like either sail

They are not versatile

You end up with an expensive special purpose sail taking up precious space in the fore peak when conditions are not correct.
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:15   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35

As a sailmaker, I've never been a fan of the para-sailor, mostly due to all the Marketing BS, overly complicated design and expensive price the patent holders charged. Now the patent has finished you don't see the big companies like North sails rushing out to make them.

Really its just a spinnaker than is a bit easier to fly due to the wing acting like a batten. It still needs a pole on a mono-hull. Normal spinnakers can be flown without a pole on a catamaran. It doesn't lift the bow. Its not faster. It doesn't sail at any different angles to a normal spinnaker. Most people who buy them can never compare it to a normal spinnaker designed for cruising ( not racing ) because they don't own a normal spinnaker.
The blue water runner makes a bit more sense, but still its either all in or all out.
There is still nothing wrong with a poled out genoa and mainsail with preventer on a mono-hull. Mains can be reefed, genoas can be partly furled. The tradewinds are not light airs.
Cruising cats are a little different as the stays limit the mainsail going out, and generally they are a bit under powered.
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:36   #10
Cdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrahl View Post
As a sailmaker, I've never been a fan of the para-sailor, mostly due to all the Marketing BS, overly complicated design and expensive price the patent holders charged. Now the patent has finished you don't see the big companies like North sails rushing out to make them.

Really its just a spinnaker than is a bit easier to fly due to the wing acting like a batten. It still needs a pole on a mono-hull. Normal spinnakers can be flown without a pole on a catamaran. It doesn't lift the bow. Its not faster. It doesn't sail at any different angles to a normal spinnaker. Most people who buy them can never compare it to a normal spinnaker designed for cruising ( not racing ) because they don't own a normal spinnaker.
The blue water runner makes a bit more sense, but still its either all in or all out.
There is still nothing wrong with a poled out genoa and mainsail with preventer on a mono-hull. Mains can be reefed, genoas can be partly furled. The tradewinds are not light airs.
Cruising cats are a little different as the stays limit the mainsail going out, and generally they are a bit under powered.
Thanks for your feedback. When I inquired about the BWR, I was told it can be reefed and is not in or out only. I am going to double check as that is what a big selling feature for me.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:03   #11

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

I owned both and kept the parasailor². Downwind not much difference, but after a collapse it fills much much softer and it points remarkable higher, for the few occasions you want to give way for any reason. If worth the money? I feel safer with my small crew. The "feel", true or not, is worth it.
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa, sail, sails, trade, wind