Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2012, 09:59   #1

Trampoline replacement

Just purchased a Lagoon 410 and I need to replace the trampoline. Somewhere on the net or here I ran across a t handled hook that helps pull the lacing tight. However for the life of me I can't locate the site I saw it on. If you have seen one of these or something similar can you guide me to it? Thank you...
Sid22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 11:11   #2

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Trampoline replacement

Murray's catalog used to carry a Uptight Tramp Tool.
Used for tightening the Trampoline lacing.
I do not see it listed in there catalog anymore.
Seems like everyone is now using 1/8 Dyneema for lacing and Vise grips to tighten.
Samson AmSteel-Blue Single Braid
www.murrays.com
www.multihullnets.com in Florida USA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Uptight_Tramp_Tool.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	46748  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 12:02   #3

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Trampoline tightening tool

Trampoline tightening tool

Make yourself a tapered wood dowel that will jam into the grommet holes and lock the line in place. Also found that an Easy-out works as good or better than a tapered wood dowel . You can get them for a couple of bucks at any hardware store. They are spiraled and grip a lot better than the tapered wood dowel.

A good tensioning tool consisted of a piece of shovel handle with a sawed slot in the bottom end of the handle to grab the line. You can also make a tool out of a PVC pipe and make it into a T handle and just cut a slot in the bottom of the T handle for the line.

Here is how you use these two tools - Lace the tramp, as tight as possible by hand. Then I go back over it, starting at the lacing two past the beginning, inserting the slotted end of the tension tool slot over a piece of the lacing then rotating the T handle - the slotted handle twists the line, tightening it. Jam the tapered wooden dowel or Easy-out into the grommet hole closer to the starting point to keep the line tight, then move on to the next lacing. Tighten, jam, tighten, jam, etc. This turns it into a one-person job.

Care needs to be used with the T handle tensioner tool, because you can generate enough pull to pull the grommets out of the material.

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 12:18   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I've always been concerned that Amsteel or equivalent will not stretch and thus provides no shock absorption. I've always used 1/4" (5mm) to 5/16" (6mm) polyester, depending on the tramp size, and have been pleased. Normally I replace the lacing about 70% through the tramp life. I've never had any trouble with the polyester losing tension.

I tension with a pair of vise grips (to hold what I've got and pause) and an acender (similar to those used to climb a halyard, to pull the line). Very easy, nice handle, and you should have one.
Old 26-09-2012, 07:29   #5

Thanks everyone, great information!
Sid22 is offline   Reply With Quote