Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2022, 14:09   #1

traveller removal

Pacific Seacraft 37 has a 1.5" Schaeffer main traveller from 1994. I would like to remove the blocks for rebuild or replacement, as they have been shedding little plastic bearing balls on deck for some time now.

I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to remove. The black rubber end cap seems to have no fasteners, but is not able to be pried out, at least not with force that won't risk ripping it. All screws are stuck. Access to the back side is not looking great.

Any advice before I start breaking things?
markxengineerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 14:30   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: traveller removal

Carefullll.....

I think you have IDed the screws correctly. In removing them you want to be absolutely sure that you do not burr them over.

I suggest thaat you start with 24 hours of penetrant oil. Then find a flat blade screwdriver that is itself not rounded over and fits the slots, or grind one to fit, with really squared edges. Bear down hard while turning, and don't turn hard enough the lift the screwdriver out of the slot.

Plan B is use a hand impact driver and hammer, or a 1/4" hex battery impact driver, again pressing down really hard. That should do it.

Plan C involves drilling them out. I don't think that that will be necessary.

Good luck with it.
Old 30-05-2022, 14:40   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 375

I expect that a builder like Pacific Seacraft would have through-bolted the traveler, so you will probably need to revisit the back-side access. Painful as it is.

Edit: I just realized you are only removing the blocks. Possibly those are not through-bolted (but mine were).
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 14:49   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Oooops. Good point, Sandy Stone. Those suckers are bound to have nuts (and big washers or a plate) on the backside. Markxengineerin can hope that the nuts are captive,but if the screws loosen a bit and then turn without unthreading, he'll have to dig to the underside.

Tags
removal