Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2017, 15:28   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1
Trouble with reefing system

The previous owner replaced the main and he had a single line slab reefing system installed. This is causing problems. (The Dutchman system he added works great.)

First, one of the cheek blocks sewn into the sail is missing the plastic sheave, only the inner metal ring is left. Where could I get a replacement sheave?

Next, when raising and lowering the main the reefing lines tend to get fouled and both interfere with raising the main as well as lowering it. Is there a method to raising/lowering with this single line slab reefing system?
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 15:39   #2

Re: Trouble with reefing system

Never liked single line reefing. Didn't work well on small or larger boat. Too much friction reefing or shaking the reef. Separate line for tack and clew for me. Or no line on the tack.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 14:12   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

There is no good way to do this. all those extra lines will always turn to spaghetti, even with careful management, which kind of takes away all the supposed convenience. The best way to reef is to put the boom in the gallows so it can't move around, pull down the leech by hand and lash the cringles: Tack first, then clew, then do up the reef points.
I have reefed this way on every boat I've owned, and it's a system that never fails.
Ben
zartmancruising dot com
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 15:07   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
T The best way to reef is to put the boom in the gallows so it can't move around,
Ben
Well I could not live without one on our boat, but there sure are a lot of boats without them.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 18:22   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Well I could not live without one on our boat, but there sure are a lot of boats without them.
It's a common design flaw that leads to a whole bunch of other flaws.
Old 22-05-2017, 18:27   #6

Boat: Laguna, windrose 25

Yup Benz, that how I came to do it also. It was mostly trial and error, and I try to remember to "reef" early.
Thanks for helpin.

joel
Joel E Felt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 19:30   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
It's a common design flaw that leads to a whole bunch of other flaws.
Now there's a nice bit of unsupported opinion! Would you care to elaborate on just why it is a flaw, and what the resulting additional flaws might be, please?

Jim
Old 22-05-2017, 20:57   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Now there's a nice bit of unsupported opinion! Would you care to elaborate on just why it is a flaw, and what the resulting additional flaws might be, please?Jim
I have no idea what Benz was getting at but I truly could not live without a gallows. I suppose the top of the bimini would work or more skill maybe but I don't see any other diff in rigging etc.
Old 22-05-2017, 21:44   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I have no idea what Benz was getting at but I truly could not live without a gallows. I suppose the top of the bimini would work or more skill maybe but I don't see any other diff in rigging etc.
Really "couldn't live without a gallows"?

OK, if you say so, but while a gallows is one way of supporting a boom whilst reefing (the subject under discussion), there are other means of doing this. The commonest one is to use a topping lift, and nowadays, some form of rigid vang will support the boom when the sail isn't doing so That's what we use on our current boat, and the topper was fine on her predecessor.

A gallows fits in on traditional designs quite well, but not so well on modern rigs. They are often heavy, and t he weight is up pretty high, so not desirable in my eyes. At any rate, if the gallows fits your boat and style of sailing, that's fine for you. I was really objecting to the "design flaw" line of argument presented by Benz... pretty one sided thought process IMO!

Jim
Old 22-05-2017, 22:15   #10

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

If one utterly must stand at the end of the boom to tie in a reef, then a gallows makes sense. Though I prefer to use 2 line reefing, & to not stand precariously on the cockpit seats, sparring with a large flailing metal (or wooden) club, when it's blowing F8 in order to reduce sail. Beefy (thick) spectra reefing pendants make me happy

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 03:56   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Now there's a nice bit of unsupported opinion! Would you care to elaborate on just why it is a flaw, and what the resulting additional flaws might be, please?

Jim
Hi Jim,

Absence of a gallows is a flaw in that without gallows, securing the boom from flogging is more difficult. Without the boom solidly immobilized, tying in a reef becomes far harder, which is why people began putting all that spaghetti at the boom end, leading it through the boom, then eventually via many twists and turns back to the cockpit.
To me the whole reef line setup people use is unbelievably complicated and issue-prone, and completely unnecessary if the simple expedient of a boom gallows is used.
A gallows need not be heavy--it can be lighter than the giant radar arch so many gallows-less boats are sporting these days.
So, to spell it out simply: lack of gallows (design flaw #1) leads to design flaw #2: a super-complicated, unreliable, heavy, expensive system to reef without having to leave the shelter of the bimini, which is in it's own way, a whole mass of design flaws itself.

Regards,
Ben
zartmancruising dot com
Old 23-05-2017, 04:30   #12

Boat: Able 50

Topping lift not good enough ?
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 06:10   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

part of this is a function of boat size - some good procedures for smallish boats dont work as well for bigger boats.

I will comment that 2 line reefing (my personal preference in all this) gives you the option to reef while running, which is pretty hard with the gallows approach.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 07:16   #14

[QUOTE=UNCIVILIZED;2398428]If one utterly must stand at the end of the boom to tie in a reef, then a gallows makes sense.

I thought everybody tied in a reef. How you can safely do it with a bimini and no gallows is beyond me. I don't care about the reef cringles much but tying in the clew seems to be safety first.
Old 23-05-2017, 07:44   #15

My Catalina 28 came with single line reefing, and it was a pain in the butt. It did not, however, have any blocks sewn into the sail to reduce friction, just cringles. I thought about adding some blocks in cringles to reduce friction, but opted instead to change to two line reefing.

Much better / love it. I don't dread reefing at all, anymore.

On my boat, all I had to do was add a couple cheek blocks to the side of the boom, ditching the in-boom system that it had previously. And, I was very lucky that there was already an extra spin-lock line snubber right next to the snubber for the single line system.

Oh, I imagine there are plenty of single line system users out there living happy and productive lives, but this is what worked wonders for me.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote