Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2022, 04:50   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Twist in 2:1 halyard problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
Unfortunately running into this issue with my boat. Plan is to go up the mast, tie a 2mm line to the halyard, and then run this back out the mast to untwist. Is running it behind the boat the best way to untangle this or is there another method? On some what of a time crunch and would need to go a bit off shore to safely toe the line to not worry about fouling someone around the harbor.
You don’t need to tow the line to untwist it. You can manually twist the line in the opposing direction from one end to the other, following the weave to make sure all the pics are aligned in straight lines. Synthetic rope does have some shape memory so some tendency to twist may be retained, but it will solve most of the problem.

As mentioned above, the twists are induced when lines are wound around a winch (or coiled to induce twists) and then flung off the winch and let run when releasing the load. The twists are compounded each time this is repeated.

A combination of prevention (a PITA) and frequently manually reversing the twists is needed to stop the problem occuring.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 08:00   #32

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
You don’t need to tow the line to untwist it. You can manually twist the line in the opposing direction from one end to the other, following the weave to make sure all the pics are aligned in straight lines. Synthetic rope does have some shape memory so some tendency to twist may be retained, but it will solve most of the problem.

As mentioned above, the twists are induced when lines are wound around a winch (or coiled to induce twists) and then flung off the winch and let run when releasing the load. The twists are compounded each time this is repeated.

A combination of prevention (a PITA) and frequently manually reversing the twists is needed to stop the problem occuring.

SWL
I’ve heard from others with the same boat and problem that it gets better over time as the lines are still pretty new (mine are a year old and lightly used). No clue if it’s true but would be nice.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 08:41   #33

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

I tied the swivel at the head of the sail so it would not twist and that seems to have done it for 8 yrs now
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 10:50   #34

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRELOS View Post
I tied the swivel at the head of the sail so it would not twist and that seems to have done it for 8 yrs now
I have a Selden swivel at the head of my sail but didn’t work for me.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halyard