Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2015, 05:48   #16

Boat: Oyster 66
Re: Twisted mainsheet problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
That's why the mentioned, line washing thing, comes in handy. It takes all of the salt, & other stiffening agents out of a line. At least in my experience.

I could explain more on high end boat equipment, & line care... Including how on some yachts, such relates directly to safety. But apparently, such isn't (seemingly) well received, herein.
Though I'm curious to hear as to how you propose to remove instances of severe, internal hockling, in a line.
I regularly pull my docklines out in the rain and throw my sheets on the side deck to get a wash. Let nature do your washing for you. Not as thorough as a washing machine, but does seem to help a bit and certainly leaves less salt on your hands. I really don't like salt, it destroys everything.

Please don't hold back if you have any good advice Uncivilized! If you look at the read to posts ratio in most posts you will see an awful lot more read than respond. Nearly 100 times more roughly. That is a big audience you may be helping.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 06:34   #17
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
If you use a pillow case, how then, do you propose to keep the (Heavy) weight of the sodden rope, balanced in the machine? Especially when it comes time for the machine to spin?

What you're saying about ropes possibly damaging the machine makes sense. Although it's not one I've encountered in washing several thousand miles of lines. But I'm a bit at a loss as to how to keep things balanced if using a pillow case.
Unless, that is, you sew one into a donut shape, with heavy Velcro around it's radius, for inserting, & sealing of the line. And then, drop the whole thing over the center spindle of the machine. - Thoughts?

Also, to be clear, I stated to stay away from fabric softeners. That, & to use very mild soaps/detergents. So as not to wash off/out the Samthane/manufacturer's proprietary line coatings. The ones which keep the fibers & jackets tight, & also work to enhance abrasion & UV resistance.
They're what makes rope shiny, & extra slippery when it's new. Gradually wearing off with time, & work cycling.

That, & with some types of ropes, these "coatings" actually assist in bonding the core to the cover (of a rope). So that if you wash them out of the rope, or damage them, it grows significantly weaker.
Balance. I always wash several ropes and balance the bags. I'm sure that can be a problem, but on the bulky setting (lower spin speed) it was not a problem.

Spinning lubricant (these are the slippery things you are referencing). that is the reason for the water repellant treatments. I think you will find they restore much of the internal lubrication and moderate slipperiness. Try it. I've done this to ice climbing ropes (must be water proof or they freeze) many times. Rope Pruf by Nickwax is a good choice.

I'm not a big believer in excessive washing of ropes. It was a research project related to how to do it wrong.
Old 26-07-2015, 10:08   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Someone already mentioned the things that I think would help the OP: lock any swivel that can bring in twist and separate the blocks on deck a bit. Both those will help quite a bit.

On washing lines -- Like thinwater, I don't like the idea of over-washing the lines. From time to time I'll put a line in a bin of freshwater for a soak or two of fresh rinse water and that's it.

The next time you replace the mainsheet, you might consider taking a look at something like the Endura braid series that is dyneema on the inside with a UV cover. Strong stuff and doesn't behave as badly as regular braid does. We only have used it on the lower portion of our running backstays but really like it alot.

Fair winds.
Old 26-07-2015, 11:54   #19

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
I suspect that the winches are what twists the sheet.
That's right. Winches put twist in lines.

Not much help, but this will help reduce the twist:

Joe Weider - Official Website of Joe Weider

I took two friends to the Bahamas once, and every time we raised the sail manually (no winching) , to avoid the twist. My son can take it up all the way by himself, but it usually takes two. Anyway, end of voyage one asked what that little button was for, I said it was for the electric winch. They almost threw me overboard!
ggray is online now   Reply With Quote