Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2010, 17:53   #1

Boat: Hunter 33' "Redbeard"
Unstepping the Mast

Well my master plan for winter work has hit a snag, the local yard that I was gonna pull out at is not operating the crane any longer this season so I must arrive with the mast unstepped already or attempt to do on the travel lift. I have read as much as i could about people doing this but have not found people doing so with a boat this large (33'), I will be transporting the boat on a friends hydraulic trailer closer to my house on much cheaper land so it is in my best interest to figure out a way to do so, id like to do it before as if I am unable to get the mast down on the travel lift I will still have to pay for a "short haul", any thrifty people attempted to use a bridge to do this on a 30'+ boat? how about a block and tackle? Sorry i forgot to mention this is a deck stepped mast
Old 21-12-2010, 17:59   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
I did this with our boat off a travel lift, the mast isn't very heave and only needs to travel about 6" up. just tie it a little above midpoint, lift and lay down. We used a 3:1 tackle.

You can also try getting your dock neighbors to help by using their spin halyards. (one on each side)
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 18:01   #3

No big deal on a typical 33 foot boat. Rig it so you can lower it safely without it going out of control in any direction. Get three big friends to help. It's even easier ashore because the boat does not rock and you can take the lowering line way out front - even belayed on a truck.

The part you need to figure out ahead of time is making sure the shrouds will not get too tight or too loose when the mast is halfway down. Depends where they attach to the chainplates relative to the mast step. Again, if you are in a parking lot two people can hold some 'shrouds' from far abeam.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 18:11   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

If your planning to use a bridge and have three or four guys on the bridge you may as well lift all the way and up onto the bridge... put a loose noose on one line round the mast that'll slide up to the spreaders... get them to lift as you pull the pin then attatch another line to the foot then haul the foot up till a 20deg angle then both haul all the way.... unless you want to rest it on the boat... in which case lower,
Oh... drop an anchor fore and aft to keep you relatively steady and in place..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 18:50   #5

How heavy are we talking, 400lbs?
Old 21-12-2010, 18:56   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
give or take, our mast is a little shorter, but a heavier section and two of us carried up from the boat to the trailer and into the backyard for a re-wire.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 19:11   #7

Boat: Irwin Citation 39 'Chesagansett'
Oak Harbor marina in Pasadena pulled the mast on my Irwin 32 from the travelift. They did say it was the biggest one they did that way. They also have a crane. Don't know if it's worth the round trip for you.
steve_hendry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 19:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_hendry View Post
Oak Harbor marina in Pasadena pulled the mast on my Irwin 32 from the travelift. They did say it was the biggest one they did that way. They also have a crane. Don't know if it's worth the round trip for you.
Thanks for the heads up but unfortunately i have to tow with a 20' center console carolina skiff and that would be too far this time of year, that is why I'm opting for smiths on the severn, very close and easy land route once on the trailer. I do always have the option to tow to bert jabins, but then cost is much high and i would have to tow on land through downtown annapolis,

Tags
mast