Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2020, 18:32   #16

Boat: Columbia 8.7
Re: Using lazyjacks as a topping lift

The two people who said it was ok were enough, so I tried it. The jacks initially were too tight and deformed the sail, but when I added halyard tension t i'l tighten the leach the lazyjacks loosened and it seemed to work. I'm gonna roll with it.
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 04:02   #17

Yes, that is your perogative, Klopas, but sorry for being blunt - while two people said it was okay, about eight of us advised against it.

So you've chosen to ignore them - and we're all seasoned and long-term sailors.

Again, your perogative, but then I'm uncertain as to why you came to the Forum for advice.

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 05:20   #18

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Yes, that is your perogative, Klopas, but sorry for being blunt - while two people said it was okay, about eight of us advised against it.

So you've chosen to ignore them - and we're all seasoned and long-term sailors.

Again, your perogative, but then I'm uncertain as to why you came to the Forum for advice.

LittleWing77
While I am, and always have been, against democracy on a boat I have to agree with the majority in this case. What strikes me most about the OP are his claims that he does not have enough friends to get up the mast and that waiting for a crane would take one week out of his planned cruise. I am not the world's most friendly guy but I would have no problem hiring a rigger for an hour or two to do the job. Even worse to me is the idea that losing a week of cruising is more important than a completely functioning boat. The most dangerous thing you can bring on a boat is a calendar.

Maybe what worries me most is that if one line of the running rigging goes that is a sign to me that it is time to consider replacing all the running rigging. Not having a topping lift puts additional strain on the main halyard and lazy jacks (or the new term for the cool kids, lazy lifts). What happens if one or both of them go. Not to mention the OP said there was an issue with the main halyard.

Bottom line is the first thing I would do is hire a rigger to look at both the running and standing rigging.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 17:14   #19

Just do it. I don’t have topping lift and use my lazy jacks as boom support then main halyard while in marina. Don’t overthink it. Enjoy.
40 degree south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 17:26   #20

Boat: 32’ Sloop

If the jacks were not built for this, I would be worried about how long until they fail.

I can think of ways I’d build lazy jacks as a topping lift, stronger mast attachments, and also have the areas where they go to the canvas, have the lines attach to reinforcement straps they go under the boom and back up the other side.

But if it wasn’t designed with that in mind, the saying works till it doesn’t comes to mind
IslandInfedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:41   #21

Boat: McIntosh 47
Using lazyjacks as a topping lift

Our Corsair F28 has is a flat top main with significant roach. The topping lift was one more point interfering with raising the fully battened main. The lazy jacks on this boat are connected to the mast, not the spreaders. We asided the topping lift and have used the lazy jacks for 2 seasons - sanctioned by our Corsair dealer pal. We have lazy jacks set such that underway the normal lift of the main de-tensions the lazy jacks and there is no deformation of the main. I agree with the earlier comment - reinforce the upper grommets so as to not tear the bag. Depending on your boat this strategy absolutely works. Lift jacks - new term for cool kids? 2000+ years of success sounds more like grey beard knowledge the ‘cool kids’ can’t see.
Gone Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:05   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

If you are not a trim fantastic, this will work.

If you are into sail shaping by increasing draft of the main, then there will be a price for using the jack lines as a topping lift.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 13:36   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
If you are not a trim fantastic, this will work.

If you are into sail shaping by increasing draft of the main, then there will be a price for using the jack lines as a topping lift.
What's a trim fantastic, Snore?

Are YOU a trim fantastic?

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 13:44   #24

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

This works. Tested and tried. Gaffers have done this for maybe 200 years. You just ease the leeward lazy-jack until it does not effect the sail profile anymore.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 13:21   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
What's a trim fantastic, Snore?

Are YOU a trim fantastic?

LittleWing77

Dang autocorrect “trim Fanatic” —- grrrr
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift