Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2023, 08:54   #1

Boat: Saga 43
Vertically Mounted Whisker Pole Hardware Question

Hi all,

I'm looking at purchasing a Forespar Line Control Telescoping Whisker pole (13'-24') for our Saga 43. There are two options for the end fittings: UXP/UXP or UTR/UTS. The UXP is your standard spring loaded jaw, and the UTS is the socket style end fitting. I'd like to be able to store the pole vertically on the mast by using some T-track to raise the inboard end up the mast, and securing the outboard end at the base of the mast. In the Forespar brochure it says that the ring style mast car (that would go with the UXP) isn't recommended for vertically stored poles. So I looked into the UTR/UTS which is only $125 more expensive. The problem is that the mast car that goes along with the socket style end fitting is $720 vs $133 for the ring style that goes with the UXP.

I'm wondering if anyone here has used the ring style car with a vertical mounting solution and if they have had any issues with it. This purchase is already pushing the limits of what we want to spend so I don't think I can justify an extra $600 just to store it on the mast. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

MCK
No Se, Saga 43, #53
kellmic5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2023, 10:57   #2

Boat: Oyster 435
Re: Vertically Mounted Whisker Pole Hardware Question

I feel your pain. Our last boat a Catalina 36 used the ring mount and it worked fine. It rattled on the mast a bit but we had no operation problems. Our current boat that is comparable to your Saga has a socket mount on the mast track. I can’t quantify it but it seems to exert less stress on the fitting and is a bit quieter when not in use. That said we’ve got multiple thousands of miles trade wind sailing with our current set up. If I had to replace I’d swallow the bullet and go with the socket mount. I did a quick search and found some options that are considerably less expensive than the $700 forespar, also this is something that you could look for in the used market. I don’t know if you have any surplus marine chandleries in your area it would be worth a look. I’m not advising buying junk, but some of the other less costly alternatives are good quality.
Tsuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2023, 14:50   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Lido 14, B-25, Cal 20, Moore 24 over the years

The 13-24 is the correct size for a Saga 43. The reason that the T-125 toggle car is recommended is on of safety. The TS inboard endfitting can take substantially more compression load that any ring car. Also the TS inboard end of the pole will by locked in place. The Toggle Car is also recommended because of the 43's displacement which is around 20,000 pounds. The ring cars are not recommended because of the "play" that they allow along with the tendency for the endfitting to bind and fracture when the pole is being pulled away from the mast if someone is not looking up during deployment.

You can store a whisker pole on the Stanchions using 3 1/2" chocks, which are part number 300044. Two needed.

"If" you are looking to go offshore I would recommend the 333004 Toggle Car. Day sailing or shore summer cruises a ring car will work fine as long as you are careful. Storing on the front of any mast using a ring car needs even more care.

The Catalina 36 is an example of a boat that is on the edge recommendation wise, between a ring car and toggle car. The 36 has a displacement of 14,000 pounds so the compression loads are less.

The bottom line with almost all of the mast storage hardware and why it is designed the way it is and used is from emails and phone calls complaining about the poles rattling and making noise while people are trying to sleep when the boat is at anchor. That is the number one reason for the mast storage parts being available.

There is a another type of mast car, the FC-125, #332002 that can be used with the UXP type inboard endfitting. It is a U shaped pc. of flat bar stainless with e cross pin that holds a UXP type whisker pole to the mast but holds it out farther away from the mast so that the pole does not bind and put unwanted pressure on the inboard endfitting. This specific mast car can be used for pole storage on the front of a mast that has a piston type inboard endfitting.

There's my very first post. Been doing this since 1978.
Professor Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2023, 16:53   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
There is a another type of mast car, the FC-125, #332002 that can be used with the UXP type inboard endfitting. It is a U shaped pc. of flat bar stainless with e cross pin that holds a UXP type whisker pole to the mast but holds it out farther away from the mast so that the pole does not bind and put unwanted pressure on the inboard endfitting. This specific mast car can be used for pole storage on the front of a mast that has a piston type inboard endfitting.
We have been using this car for some 20 years and 68,000 miles now, and with the pole (a regular spinny pole) stored up the mast. It has given no problems and works as advertised.

Jim

Tags
cal, hardware