Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2016, 10:25   #16

Re: Videos on re-cutting sails?

I admire the thorough way you are handling your sail problem.

Last winter I used my 35 year old main to cut into a lug / yawl sail. I have no knowledge of sail making so went badly wrong. I cut the sail straight and sawed with the stitcher so now have a curled end of the sail. Some of the seams of the old main ware torn apart ( Thanks to a giant gin palace and its waves ) and I had repaired at the spot with spinnaker repair tape to continue the trip.
So in fact I glued the seams to open. At sea applying the spinnaker repair tape on a hoisted sail with ripped seams was not the easiest way of working.
Wanted to build a test sail so glued 2” wide strips of sailcloth over the old ripped seams with Sikaflex.
Sailed one season with the sail. The “new” lugyawl was double the size of the old bermudian yawl sail. Very impressed with the performance.
My idea was to have a sail made of the new dimensions but do most work myself. So just the new tan sailcloth and the sewing. All the details I would do myself.
Unfortunately the sail makers are not interested in making a small sail out of the usual form.
Last month I resewed all seams with the stitcher. A summer of UV had destroyed the Polyurethane glue. The sail now looks as it is sewn by a 3 year old but I think that after the first real pressure the sail will “settle” itself.
My next project is to re cut a lightweight head sail ( bought in the Netherlands for 50 € ) and resew.
The big genua will serve as a assy spi on a roller. Maybe I will have to sew a torsion free rope on the front.
Thanks for the Howard Williams tip.
OldBawley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sails