Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2016, 12:08   #46

Re: What are the 3 lines exiting the boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Unfortunately most boats don't come completely ready to use or pre engineered. There are many options on how people want their reefing and other things so maybe that is why. It could be the reefs have never been used on a smaller boat like yours.
Use your boat some before changing things too much. DO you have primary winches for the headsail? Not sure how you will use camcleats for that, so take your time and think it thru before you start drilling!!
I agree Cheeckako. My plan was to ask at a later date The best manner to replace horn cleate with cam cleat. Maybe it's a bad idea, it made sense at the time of purchase. I'll be honest, I depend on my wife to apply brakes but sometimes I'm gung ho even she can't stop me (you should see my collection of hand planes lol). She's the reason I have a 24' rather than a 32'. She was right I was wrong but that's ok because she won't be seeing this post lol

Mrdouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:33   #47

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I couldn't make much out of the original pics. Looks like a nice boat, so I would look at what you have, long before getting the drill out and popping unnecessary holes as some have suggested. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:36   #48

They might work there. You will likely find that using the normal cleat becomes second nature with time though. With wraps around the winch drum, you can often just wrap the line one turn around the cleat, no figure 8 at all. They also make cleats with one underside/horn narrow gap it grips the line when pulled thru there.
The cam cleats would need to be elevated a bit to make them easy to use. The line exits the top of the winch drum a few inches off the coaming top, so you have to manually push the line down to get the cam cleat to grip it... if that makes sense. I think!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote