Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2017, 15:47   #1

Boat: Endurance 35 Pilothouse Cutter
What grease and oil to service old winches?

I have a number of old, 1980s vintage winches on my endurance 35. They all need servicing. What Grease and oil should I use after I clean with diesel or mineral spirits? I know I want to put just a little grease on everything else that moves except the palls(sp) and springs, which should get oil.
AZ-Oldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 16:06   #2

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38
Re: What grease and oil to service old winches?

I would also like to hear if I really need to spend big bux on winch lube!
Old 05-07-2017, 17:05   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I've always used white lithium grease and 3 in 1 oil for the pawls. When greasing use sparingly. Too much is worse than not enough, at least that's what the Lewmar guy told me.
Old 05-07-2017, 17:09   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

The Harken stuff in a tube.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 20:25   #5

I took one of these winches off the boat, the one that was beginning to seem stiff and slow to work, and looked at a bunch of videos on YouTube about older winches. And carefully took this one completely apart. And then put it back together again without cleaning it or anything right away so that I know I can do it. It is a lewmar 40 2 speed self tailing, and unlike all the lewmar forties that I see being serviced on YouTube this one needs Allen wrenches to disassemble and it has a big snap ring on the bottom. Two brass retainers near the top to hold the main shaft in and a plastic retainer under the bearings to also hold it in place. It is complicated enough that I didn't want to do anything other than put it immediately back together to make sure I remembered how while taking some pictures. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170705_192348.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	151306Click image for larger version

Name:	20170705_192309.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	151307Click image for larger version

Name:	20170705_192257.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	151308Click image for larger version

Name:	20170705_190540.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	151309Click image for larger version

Name:	20170705_190451.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	151310Click image for larger version

Name:	20170705_190240.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	151311
Old 05-07-2017, 20:51   #6

So my plan is to go out and get some grease and oil, and some solvent to clean it up and service it and put it back together a second time. is 3 in 1 oil heavy enough? I would be tempted to use something like fully synthetic motor oil for oil, and something waterproof for the grease?
Old 05-07-2017, 21:15   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Oldguy View Post
So my plan is to go out and get some grease and oil, and some solvent to clean it up and service it and put it back together a second time. is 3 in 1 oil heavy enough? I would be tempted to use something like fully synthetic motor oil for oil, and something waterproof for the grease?
Any good quality high viscosity lithium grease works fine. The lewmar/Harken stuff is good, but nothing special. For the springs and paws I really like gun oil (3:1 type), you do not want anything even with the weight of motor oil, you just want a very very thin layer.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 22:24   #8

Thanks,
Old 05-07-2017, 23:56   #9

Hello,

If your Lewmar 40 requires allen wrenches, it may be an EVO model (see attached link pdf page 26).

http://www.lewmar.com/sites/default/...2304iss9_2.pdf

As others have said, less is better on the grease. If we can see the grease with a quick glance, we have used too much. We use the lewmar tube grease and a touch of light motor oil for the pawls/springs.
redbeard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:04   #10
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

You might be overthinking this

The most important thing is actually doing it (i.e. cleaning it and reapplying grease). Any "marine" grease, outboard engine grease, boat trailer wheel bearing grease, waterproof grease etc will be fine. These are not high tech cogs and bearing.

And yes, a light machine oil (3 in 1 etc) is perfect for the springs and pawls.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:46   #11
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Practical Sailor did several articles in the past year testing a variety of greases, including both winch manufacture products and other water proof greases. Tests included oxidation stability, static corrosion, and wash-off.

In fact, there are some big differences between greases, some lasting 5-10 times longer than others. The winch greases were all very good, resisting oxidation and wash off well. But Green Grease (Omni Lubes) was just one of several less expensive product that distinguished themselves. Gears are hardly unique to winches.

Subscribe. The archives are searchable and contain a ton of info.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:50   #12

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Note that the reason for using a light weight oil on pawls is so that they don't stick in one position or the other. As they can cause a winch to lock up, or worse, not have anything mechanical holding the loads on the winch. Which could be disasterous, especially if there's a handle in it at the time, & or you're operating it when it happens.

Also, here's one resource for winch (& other) manuals. But also try the C&C owner's site www.cncphotoalbum.com
Marine Manuals

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:05   #13

Thanks for all the helpful replies, and I am subscribed to Practical Sailor so I will go and look there as well. Thanks Redbeard1 for the link to the PDFs on the evil witches. I don't see a match but close enough.

I don't know when the winches were last serviced. I've had the boat for a little over a year and a half and only serviced the halyard winch up till now. Which is a simple one speed. I used lithium grease on it.
I don't know what grease was used on these primaries, lewm,ar 2 spd 40st, but it appears to have been pretty heavily greased though not the pawls. The one I am working on is quite dirty, but the grease is still working, and the pawls work freely.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:45   #14

Boat: Taswell 43

FWIW.....While diesel or gas can be used to clean the parts, we found that a spray can of brake cleaner really work well. It cleans off the old, then rapidly evaporated to leave the parts clean and dry....worked really well!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:15   #15

I accidentally discovered a new lube when I had a leaking lower seal in a commercial mowing machine.
It is "corn head grease" marketed by the John Deere Tractor co.
This is a special purpose synthetic lube, is tinted green, for gear boxes that hard to access. It is about 200 WT cold but does not thin much about 140 WT out as it gets hot. Otherwise it does not run-out seals.
NEVER have used it around the boat but it does NOT blend with water.
A 10 oz tube for a grease gun is only about $4. US.

oleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, service, winch