Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2016, 13:35   #1

Boat: Pearson 28
What is the missing part here called?

Hi there! Novice cruiser and first-time poster on the forums. Really been enjoying reading and learning from everyone.

Inspecting the mainsail of my new (to me) boat (1977 Pearson 28), one of the battens is not attached to its plastic slide. The fabric part is frayed but intact, so it didn't tear off - it looks like a metal part is missing, but I don't know what it's called or how to find a replacement.

I took a photo for reference - can someone tell me what I need, or should I take the whole thing to a sailmaker (hoping to avoid that).

bgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 13:47   #2

Re: What is the missing part here called?

Either a sailmaker can repair or replace that webbing connector between the slug and the foot of the sail, or you can use some heavy twine to do so. Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 14:09   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

That is one goofy system... It looks like it was originally a bolt rope sail that someone put grommets into to use sail slugs... My guess is that the original slug sewn into that webbing disintegrated years ago and it was tied to the empty slug in the picture, but they may also have used a shackle of some sort.

The cheap way to fix it is to tie the slug to the slug with piece of 2mm dyneema... It's what I would do if I was offshore and didn't have any better options. Long term I would be seriously looking at a new sail though.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 14:29   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

Webbing. Handsewn. Polyester. Difficulty level: easy.

PS Steel shackles tend to eat plastic sliders. ;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 16:17   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

No parts are missing, but when the original slug died the new slug was not attached to the sail with a new poly web.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 07:57   #6

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

A jib hank may get you by Jib Hanks & Snaps - Sailmakers Hardware - Sailboat Hardware & Rigging - Downwind Marine

Len
Old 17-05-2016, 08:04   #7

they sell those small stainless steel sail shackles at west marine for about 2 bucks
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 08:36   #8

Boat: santana 30

no need to take the whole sail to a sailmaker ...show them the picture ...the slug is fine ...just replace the small pc. of poly webbing and stitch it to the slug and yer off... CHECK THE OTHERS ...fair winds
mobjackjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 09:31   #9

Get out your palm and needle and some whipping twine. #4 twine should do. Cut off the bit of webbing that has worn through. Lash the "slug" - the white plastic jobbie that slides in the grove ("cove") in the mast - to the sail rather like you'd sew a buttom on a coat. About a dozen turns of the twine will do the job.

A hole in the sail lined with metal is called a "grommet". So is the metal liner itself. It can be bought "on line" from such people as "Sailrite" which you'll find on the net. The grommet, as supplied, is a two-part jobbie that requires a special tool - a "punch and die" - for its application. Sailrite supplies the tool, of course.

It looks in the photo as if the slug was attached to the headboard of the sail. So make sure you get things oriented correctly when you sew the slug back on.

As someone said, you can buy baby shackles for the purpose of holding a slug onto a sail. Myself, I dislike anything that rattles. What's more, I believe you should minimize your reliance of chandlers and repairers. MySaintedMother used to say: " If you can't repair it with a bit of codline and your sailor's knife, don't go to sea in it" ;-0)!

These kinds of maintenance are constant and never ending on a sailboat, so I recommend you get together a decent "sailmaker's kit" and that you put some time and effort into learning sailmaker's venerable craft :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 09:39   #10

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Webbing. Handsewn. Polyester. Difficulty level: easy.

PS Steel shackles tend to eat plastic sliders. ;-)

b.
Barnakiel is 100 0/0 correct.
You can make this repair.
Buy the webbing and a hand sewing kit that includes several size needles, thread,wax and a palm pad. You will probably need to replace all your slugs webbing....it is actually fun...your first step to becoming a Salty Sailor...⚓️
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 10:00   #11

Boat: Able 50

It looks like an old slug broke but wasn't properly replaced because it was too hard. Those slugs eventually fatigue and snap after a few years in the sun. There are several things you can do.

1. Invest in a sailmaker's palm, a reel of twine and a few needles so you can sew slugs on the sail yourself.
2. I doubt that your local chandler will have the right size of tape so you will have to buy a few feet from a sailmaker. Check the width of the old one. It looks like 3/4".
3. Cut the old tape off and sew on a new piece of the same length, probably around 8". Double loop it through the slug and sail then sew the whole thing together. It's dead easy.
4. Check every slug on the sail and replace any others that are dull looking and cracked. The slugs come in different sizes and look like this
BAINBRIDGE Plastic Sail Slides | West Marine
5. The plastic shackles that can be used to attach slugs also come in different sizes but the one you want will cost more than $2. They look like this and would be best used where there is no batten.
BAINBRIDGE Plastic Shackles | West Marine

If you want to go sailing before you get all this finished just tie the slug to the tape with a few loops of some nylon string.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 10:09   #12

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

The missing part is a shackle.
As somebody said, cheap part at WestMarine.
Don't forget to also get the plastic chafe guard like the other slugs.

Somebody called it goofy. Not so. It's cheap and easy and was moderately common, or at least wasn't uncommon in an earlier era.

A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground you would never try to refloat it.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 10:17   #13

A cheap stainless shackle will do the trick. Leave the existing webbing alone as it provides chafe protection from the shackle. Go cheap, go now.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 10:23   #14

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

The picture is a little deceptive. Something doesn't look quite right about it. It looks like a 'Headboard' and yet, the sail section with a bolt rope around it looks like a right angle, suggesting it could be the 'Tack'. altogether very odd looking to me but then it also shows another slug lower down in the mast slot so I guess it must be a 'Headboard'. Maybe it's the way I'm looking at it.

I think the OP also referred to a 'Batten' and yet, there is no batten visible in the picture. Terminology is very important when discussing problems on the forum, perhaps someone can post a pic of a sail(s) with the correct naming of the various parts for newbies to sailing. I would do so myself, if I only knew how. Computers are NOT my strong point.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 10:35   #15

Boat: Able 50

No headboard. That is a very old batten pocket end.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal