Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2017, 22:37   #1

Boat: Columbia 10.7
What is this?

I bought a Cal 27 earlier this year and I'm still trying to figure out all the rigging on the boat.

The boom end cap has two sheaves. They look like they should feed lines through the boom.

However, there is only one sheave on the mast side. So, my question is, what was this intended for? I'm thinking it's to be used for reefing the main. But why would there only be one sheave on the mast end?

Has anyone seen this configuration before and give me some tips?
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 22:56   #2

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: What is this?

Is there a long slot in the side of the boom relatively close to the mast? If so that is where the 2nd line would come out and there would be a cleat nearby.

Uses for either sheave would be reefing, outhaul, or adjustable topping lift. Your choice on how to lead them. If used for reefing the bitter end should attach to the boom just aft of the leech cringle.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 08:01   #3

Boat: Columbia 10.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Is there a long slot in the side of the boom relatively close to the mast? If so that is where the 2nd line would come out and there would be a cleat nearby.

Uses for either sheave would be reefing, outhaul, or adjustable topping lift. Your choice on how to lead them. If used for reefing the bitter end should attach to the boom just aft of the leech cringle.
There is no outlet anywhere on the boom except at it's connection to the mast. At the mast end, there is only one outlet and one sheave.

There are at least two cleats on the boom. One on the bottom near the front, and another on the starboard side near the back.

There are two blocks fixed near the end of the boom. One is labeled for the outhaul. I'll take some more pictures today.
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 08:58   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
IIf used for reefing the bitter end should attach to the boom just aft of the leech cringle.
I would further specify just aft of the reef point cringle. Honestly I rig mine directly under it, but it is free to slide until it's under tension.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 13:21   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 42CE

Is there a multi-purchase set of blocks inside the boom? If so, I would guess the center sheave (on both ends) is for an adjustable outhaul. Can you post mroe pictures of the boom?

BTW, I used to sail out of Waukegan. There are plenty of friendly sailors there that could possibly help you.
V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
arisatx is offline   Reply With Quote