Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2021, 15:31   #1

What is this cover?

I have another question for the spicing/marlinspike experts in this forum.
I am trying to get a splice similar to the one in the attached picture.
The core dyneema line is spliced.
But what about the cover?
I do not think this line is a double braid with dyneema cover.
- I think this may be a dyneema core with a dyneema chafe sleeve added to it and stitched. Am I correct?
What would be the advantage of using the dyneema chafe sleeve (New England Ropes makes one) over using a double braid dyneema core/poly cover?
- I cannot think of any, actually I would think a poly cover offers better UV stability, but clearly since dyneema chafe sleeves exist, there must be a good reason to use them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210606_145546.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	396.5 KB
ID:	239925  
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 18:54   #2

Boat: Outremer 55L
What is this cover?

The advantage of a Dyneema cover is better chafe resistance - it is more slippery and tougher than a polyester cover. Neither material does much for UV. A Technora cover would be tougher than Dyneema (more heat resistant) but will be less slippery.

The advantage of using a single braid Dyneema line over a double braid Dyneema core/polyester cover line is ease of splicing, less weight, and greater strength for a particular diameter. You only add cover for those portions that are exposed to chafing.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 19:11   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: What is this cover?

I have polyester cover with a small messenger line through the center, 3/8” to be used for 1/4” hi tech core. I bought this from Yale Cordage but haven’t seen it offered lately. When most of the length of a line is bare, I add this cover to Amsteel Blue rather than stripping cover off Warpspeed II.

I have very little trouble with UV damage on polyester covers or Amsteel Blue. 15 years lifespan in the tropics.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 19:17   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here it is, bought this in 2006.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1799A521-7599-4122-9806-4DD923FC17C9.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	239938  

Old 08-06-2021, 11:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Here it is, bought this in 2006.
Not sure if this product is still available, but New England has a similar product.
Same as you, I usually strip the cover of Warspeed II where needed (and I keep the strip cover to use it as chafe sleeve on bare Amsteel if needed).
Hence my question on this dyneema sleeve.
fxytky answer makes sense to me (thank you), a dyneema cover would offer better chafe resistance because it is slippery and tougher (and looks cool). Unless you have unused polyester cover available from some other project, then it may be adequate as well, depending on the application.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 05:48   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioC View Post
Not sure if this product is still available, but New England has a similar product.
Same as you, I usually strip the cover of Warspeed II where needed (and I keep the strip cover to use it as chafe sleeve on bare Amsteel if needed).
Hence my question on this dyneema sleeve.
fxytky answer makes sense to me (thank you), a dyneema cover would offer better chafe resistance because it is slippery and tougher (and looks cool). Unless you have unused polyester cover available from some other project, then it may be adequate as well, depending on the application.
I’m sure a Dyneema cover is superior... the problem I have with it is the cost as that’s more than the line inside...

Old 10-06-2021, 03:07   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

The dyneema cover not only has better chafe resistance than poly, it is thinner-walled, so it fattens up the line less. And it slips through low friction rings better.
Also Dyneema is now known to have better UV resistance than polyester, as well as being lighter.
You can still get empty cover in any flavor from rigging shops. Technora, pbo, polyester, dyneema, a blend of two or more, and some probably still have Vectran and kevlar covers kicking about on spool ends in the back.