Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2017, 04:14   #1

Boat: Lock Crowther 150
What line is this (photo)?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4297.JPG
Views:	614
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	147337
Can anyone identify this line?
mrybas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:15   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: What line is this (photo)?

Probably T900, which has a core primarily of Technora, with some Spectra blended in. If the core won't melt & fuse together with a cigarette lighter, then that it's a good bet that that's what it is, since aramids tend to shrug off heat. And my undercaffeinated brain is telling me that those colors match T900. Though there's an outside chance that it could be a Vectran blend.

Yeah, looks like T900
::Â*Teufelberger:Â*T-900
http://www.neropes.com/uploads/tx_tx...Eye_Splice.pdf

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:37   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Probably T900, which has a core primarily of Technora, with some Spectra blended in. If the core won't melt & fuse together with a cigarette lighter, then that it's a good bet that that's what it is, since aramids tend to shrug off heat. And my undercaffeinated brain is telling me that those colors match T900. Though there's an outside chance that it could be a Vectran blend.

Yeah, looks like T900
::Â*Teufelberger:Â*T-900
http://www.neropes.com/uploads/tx_tx...Eye_Splice.pdf

Yup, that looks like it! Thanks!
Old 09-05-2017, 07:25   #4

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1143.JPG
Views:	482
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	147361

Any guesses on this one? Looks like dyneema with polyester cover.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:54   #5

Boat: Able 50

That's a dyneema cored double braid but I don't know the brand. It will be something similar to Endurabraid or Warpspeed.

The one in the first photo is definitely T900. It was mainly used in halyards and has an aramid core. The stuff goes stiff with age making it harder to handle so once it craps out replace it with something softer and lighter that has a dyneema core.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:57   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrybas View Post
Attachment 147361

Any guesses on this one? Looks like dyneema with polyester cover.
I'd be inclined to agree with you. Though without feeling it, as well as seeing & smelling how it reacts to heat (melting/burning), I'm 100% guessing. Especially as over time cordage manufacturers change the color patterns on various line jackets.

What size is it, what's it being used for, on what size boat, & what are it's stretch characteristics like?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
Old 09-05-2017, 21:35   #7

I would like to hear others opinions about when the right time to replace a sheet is?
Menlim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 23:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menlim3 View Post
I would like to hear others opinions about when the right time to replace a sheet is?
The absolute right time to replace is as close as possible to the day before it fails.

Conversely the wrong time, all though it will still need to be replaced, is any time after it fails.

The life of a sheet depends on material of construction, usage, and storage.

The question is akin to asking "How long is a sheet"?

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 23:18   #9

Smart alik. If a sheet shows no signs of breaking but is kind of stiff, still grips into the winch but makes a rough noise, .etc...any specific symptoms you would describe that light up a red light for decision making would be helpful.
Menlim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 23:20   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
We have replaced lines when the covers get shabby. Don't wait for them to chafe through. We had some three strand dock line chafe through one of the strands while we were away. That one was cut, and spliced, and put back into use, but it was newish, and it was just chafed. Sometimes a line will get a hernia, and the inner core pooches out through the cover. We generally replace those, too.

I hope that is a general guide. I bet if you ask someone who has line for sale, they would encourage you to swap it out sooner than we do. laughing at myself.

Ann
Old 09-05-2017, 23:59   #11

Quote:
Quote:
Smart alik. If a sheet shows no signs of breaking but is kind of stiff, still grips into the winch but makes a rough noise, .etc...any specific symptoms you would describe that light up a red light for decision making would be helpful.
The first, & best thing to do, given what you're describing, is give your running rigging a good washing. Even if but a fresh water soak, where you change the water a few times, following several agitation cycles per water change. And I'm talking by hand here. Though you'll likely get them a LOT cleaner by other means.
Read this thread, & the links within it. Both to the Practical Sailor issue on the topic, & some of the other threads that I wrote about cordage care, laundering, & replacement. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ce-183601.html

Quite honestly, unless running rigging is undersized, or abused, it lives quite a long time. For example Brad Van Liew's Samson running rigging on his OPEN 50 did 2 circumnavigations (Vendee), prior to his donating it to another, less well funded competitor. Where most of it then made another trip RTW.

The salt & dirt that's in your lines making them stiff & crunchy, is quite literally eating them alive. All of those crystals in there act like grinders each time the line moves, or the load changes. So wash'em out.
After that you'll be able to tell with much greater accuracy what sort of shape they're in.

You can also bench test them if you're truly concerned as to how they're doing. Something which I describe in an article via the link above, when SV Jedi was making some new halyards. The test proceedure's simple, & common sense. And I'll pass on retyping it at the moment. But LMK if you get stuck.

Also, on Dyneema cored lines, & others with high modulus cores, you can fully replace the covers if the cores are in decent shape. Which can save you a lot of coin. Simply either buy some cover by the spool, or purchase some inexpensive Dacron double braid, & rebuild your lines.

That & you can also sleeve extra cover onto lines in spots that the wear is beginning to show, before it gets severe. Whipping/sewing the extra cover into place. As well as bonding it to the current cover & core using RP25 (or Maxi Jacket II). Which is great stuff to paint onto your lines in high wear areas anyway, as it extends their lives by 1/3 - 1/2 more.
And again, this is covered in some of the bits which I wrote in SV Jedi's thread where he constructed some new halyards. Including adding cover to raw Amsteel blue in order to make them on the cheap.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...v2-182773.html
It's an excellent thead, & my words don't do his work, & description there of, justice.

Old 10-05-2017, 00:49   #12

Quote "Smart Alik" answer was not my intention, I was aiming more for tongue in cheek.

Your original question was Quote "opinions about when the right time to replace a sheet is" I stand by my answer as being the most correct in relation to timing of said replacement.

The question you seem to actually be asking(after clarification in your second comment) is what are the early warning signs for sheets coming to the end of there useful working life?Quote "any specific symptoms you would describe that light up a red light for decision making would be helpful." a totally different question.

This I believe has subsequently been competently and comprehensively addressed by both Anne Cate & Uncivilized.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
photo