Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2017, 12:08   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: What Sail Is This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstoo View Post
This is hilarious!!! ROFLMAO
Lol, my thoughts too, along with the thought it's a pantomime or Punch and Judy sketch.

Tilly, you are going to have to open this sail up and photograph it to solve the mystery.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 14:50   #47

Whatever it was originally intended to be, I'd hate to be the poor foredeck guy who has to get it down in a pinch, were it rigged as a spinnaker and the breeze pipes up.
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 14:53   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

So you guys got this?
Old 24-05-2017, 16:15   #49

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Tilly, you are going to have to open this sail up and photograph it to solve the mystery.
* Pete 7

Maybe it is time to turn loose of pre-conceived notions, and run an experiment. Many posters have suggested you need to get a good look at this sail in its entirety.

We have used large screwdrivers driven into the soil at a public park to stretch the sail, so you can measure it. You need a large tape measure, you want one that is at least as tall as your mast.

If you can get a picture of it all stretched out for the forum to see, that would be great.

Ann, cruising full time, for over 30 yrs.
Old 24-05-2017, 18:40   #50

Boat: Grainger Cat 12.5m

Has anyone thought that this may have been something cobbled together to catch water, make shade?
Stilllooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 18:43   #51

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilllooking View Post
Has anyone thought that this may have been something cobbled together to catch water, make shade?

Yep.[emoji106]
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 08:08   #52
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Lol, my thoughts too, along with the thought it's a pantomime or Punch and Judy sketch.

Pete
Tilly, like Pete said, you'll have to stretch her out and "see" just how big she is and her symmetry.

However, from my sailmaking experience, she's clearly a main. In your first pictures, you can clearly see the reefs, these sort of reefs are "mostly", if not "exclusive" to the mains. Yes Jibs and Genies have them, however not with punch holes, or reef eyes. That is because, as you know, Mains support a lot of stress when sailing, and those eyes are generally the "only" way to bring that sucker down, especially during bad weather.

Second, if you look at the third image, out of the first four, you can clearly see the leech and the backend of the clamcleat. They are used in all sails, for the most part, and yet, in this picture, IMO, is a clear indicator that we are dealing with a Main, rather then a Jib, Genie or Spanket, god forbid

Third, your second image, has the head with a slug and metal plate heads. When you make a sail, this is always a "norm" in the making of a Main, mostly because there is immense pressure on the head, this area is reinforce with several layers of Dacron, or other materials, depending on the Grammage of the material used, and it's mostly used to protect and keep in place, while helping keep the angle of the Halyard just right. Not "all" mains have them, but, normally, it's part of the status quo.

Finally, Tilly, your last image, of the first four. Tack and Clew, if you look closely, there is a broken piece of Sling on the one of the eyes. This could be because the the clew had a sling to keep the foot/leef "in place" per say, so the clew wouldn't go about flapping like it's the 4th of July while sailing, especially if the sheet was a bit loose.

I hope this helps, however, if you can get that pic up we might just uncover the mystery. , One more thing, I would heavily recommend you either restitch the whole sail, or at least the reefs, tack, clew and head, simply don't use this as your go to sail. It looks burnt, the stitching seems to be coming off on the leech and corners, if you catch bad weather, strong winds, or maybe over tense the lines, you might end up with a nasty surprise. Just a thought.

edit: P.S. you mentioned this sail was "for your boat", it wouldn't be the first time yachts are sailing with "wrong" sized sails.
ObracJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 15:06   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

8 posts by the OP in his first 3 1/2 hours and nothing more for four days.

I doubt we will hear from him again - I think he got the responses he wanted from this thread.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 16:40   #54

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I think he got the responses he wanted from this thread.
Or perhaps, Stu, some that he really didn't want!

Jim
Old 27-05-2017, 17:48   #55

Reminds me of Scoobert. Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 17:53   #56

Boat: Able 50

We have all been punked.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail