Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2014, 09:35   #1

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee
What Size Halyards And Sheets?

Hi guys, My Balboa 26 will finally be delivered in 3 weeks. It has been sitting for a few years and I want to get her out ASAP. What diameter and length sheets and halyards do I need to buy? Is there some sort of a "rule of thumb" way to calculate these? I want them brought with the boat so I need to get on this "yesterday". Any suggestions on where to buy and from whom?
How about blocks and pulleys etc.(excuse the landlubber terms)...I have a roller furling system.
Thanks for all your help. I have everything ready now including my switch panel and LED interior light system. ALL of your help with my questions has been great! THANK YOU!!!
mrlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 10:09   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: what size halyards and sheets?

Just replaced mine with 12mm that's 1/2" or so. Any smaller and they are uncomfortable to handle. As to length, you need about 3 turns around a tightly furled genoa, then back to the winches plus a little bit. Use an old rope or string to work it out then buy just the right length, no point in having yards of rope all over the place.

Halyards, depends on the clutches what is there at the moment but for a 26ft yacht probably 10mm - 12mm. Dyneema if you can afford it, if on a budget then a quality double braid.

This is worth a read:

Sheets & Guys
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 12:48   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: What Size Halyards And Sheets?

For a boat your size, 3/8" will be more than adequate for size. 5/16" even smaller would work for light air sails and halyards. The real determining factor is what is comfortable in your hands. !/2" is nice but heavy and the tails make a big bundle. Used 7/16" for sheets and 3/8" for halyards on my 35' boat. 7/16" is kind to my arthritic fingers and not as heavy or bulky as 1/2". For Halyards, wouldn't go larger than 3/8' and possibly smaller as the heavy work is typically done with a winch and they aren't tinkered with much.

For lengths, the height of the mast doubled plus 5' or a little more should be adequate. Have heard 1.5 times the boat length for sheets. A low stretch line like New England StaSet X or VPC would be better for halyards.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 13:16   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

mrlee,

There's nothing in your OP to indicate where you are located, so can't suggest where to buy your line.

To some extent, the exact diameter of the line depends on a couple of variables: what the size is that the sheaves will handle; also, between 3/8" and 1/2" for sheets, which feels better in your hands. If you're a big guy, the 1/2" will feel better, probably.

If your sheets wind up being "too short" using the 1.5 x the boat length, you can do end to end splices to lengthen the tails, and make the tails out of lighter line than the actual sheets. These tails are just so you can start the line coming back, they will never be load bearing.

Ann
Old 27-08-2014, 13:22   #5

Boat: Newport 28

I went with 8mm halyards on my Excalibur 26, though I probably could've easily gone up to a 3/8 size for comfort and to fit the sheaves just fine. Not that the 8mm is really rough on the hands, but I'm also not really picky about it. May need to double-check the sheaves size to be safe, but 3/8 would be ideal for most halyard needs I would think while not being too bulky or hard to grip in the hands.
Old 27-08-2014, 13:33   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Milwaukee Rigging has been my go to source for line. They are on Ebay and usually have good deals on spool ends and/or precut lengths there or Milwaukee Rigging LLC. Others have praised Cajun Rope for price. Cajun Ropes | Custom Yacht Rigging. Halyards, Docklines, Anchors.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 21:35   #7

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee

WOW, thanks a lot to ALL of you...I get the idea now and I think I will use 1/2 sheets and 3/8 halyards...I can cut the lengths when I have the boat here and the mast stepped...EXCELLENT INFO!!! Salud to you all!
By the way, I am in Mexico...that's why I cannot buy these items here at a price a normal person can afford. Bringing them with the boat saves me on the shipping...
mrlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 21:50   #8

Boat: Traditional 30

You also need to make sure what ever sheet/halyard you get fits any cleats etc. Buy a few off cuts and test them first if you are unsure.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halyard, sheets, size