Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2022, 09:26   #1

Boat: Islander Bahama 30
What to do with Samson DPX

A buddy of mine suggested Samson DPX for my reef lines on my Islanded 30. I thought this was slight overkill for the task as I’m only racing it half-seriously at the club and the boat is mainly a cruiser. Anyway, I bought one 70’ and one 60’ piece of 3/8 line for either of my two reef points. Last night I tried to fit it and as luck would have it (or lack of pre-mraduring) it’s way too big to fit into the in-boom holes on my Kenyon mast. I then busted out the calipers snd discovered that the old reef lines I inherited with the boat were not stiff from age alone, but because at 3/8 inch they were barely able to clear the entry points on the boom. The Samson DPX 3/8 is actually sort of fat for 3/8, meaning it only measured 3/8 when I squeezed it a bit. So it’s not fit to task.

So, my plan now is to buy some 5/16 Sta-Set for the reefing libes, which was my original rope of choice. I gave a moments thought to smaller diameter DPX but it’s still really expensive for what I’m doing. I now have these two big pieces of 3/8 DPX and I’d like to use them. i was think they’d make good genoa sheets, but they’ll be pretty long, so I was going to cut them down to 45 or 45 feet and use the short sections for something else. Maybe barber haulers? Or perhaps a set of those 3D inner genoa track replacements? Any suggestions on how I should use this superfluous high end line?
zachduckworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2022, 08:58   #2

Boat: 1986 Caliber 28
Re: What to do with Samson DPX

I think really it's a great line for almost anything, but I agree it's overkill for reefing lines.

It would be great for Genoa sheets as long as you don't have self-tailing winches; it's not recommended for those.

What about other control lines? Boomvang, outhaul, downhaul? Anything you'd adjust fairly regularly during a race and won't go on self tailing winches.
iansan5653 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
samson