Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2020, 08:51   #46

Re: What would you do with this?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mathis View Post
The sail is too big for the boat? You’ve just been presented with a wonderful reason to buy a bigger boat.

I reckon it was a deliberate mistake !

Not a huge job to take a bit off the leech anyway
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 09:26   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
So my "new" 20-footer just got a new mainsail with a nice, big roachy sail. It's really quite pretty but totally useless because it won't pass through the backstay not even trying to "pump" it. What would you do? Ask the sail maker to cut it down? Make a new one that fits the area correctly? Ask for your money back? I've never dealt with this before.Attachment 210337Attachment 210338
Only two things to do : go for running back stays or cut the ear of the sail.
clakiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 10:50   #48

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Recutting the sail is the correct remedy.

All other remedies are workarounds and will work, but better to fix the sail that is wrong, not the boat that is not broken.

Boomkin works okay. But it could be a point of failure and possibly a PITA when docking.

Running twin backstays works fine. Look at the old gaff top sloops. <EDIT> twin RUNNING backstays, I meant to say.</EDIT>

Sweeping back the spreaders, the idea makes me a bit hesitant to recommend it, but swept back enough and they will keep your forestay tight and your mast at the desired rake.

Reefing is probably the second best option, after fixing the sail. Then you still got a nice big roachy main for a long reach or run, but in a tacking duel you reef down so it tacks easily, and keep your rig adjusted for good performance with reduced main. She probably wants to point up a bit, anyway, with the extra roach, so reefing should actually correct this and return you to a more neutral or slightly weather helm.

Soft battens and falling off a bit more when tacking might work for you but you would get some chafe and overall I would say it is the least practical way to do this. Slacking the vang and maybe the halyard or even hauling on the topping lift for every tack is also going to be a huge PITA.

My suggestion like the majority here is have the sailmaker fix it. Meanwhile, reef her down a bit for tacking. Maybe sew in some reef points at exactly the right height for easy tacking. Gooseneck on a track? Bring it down until the boom is as low as it can go.
Old 16-03-2020, 11:05   #49

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

Well, It's a 20 footer, so I'm thinking not a passage maker that will be on the same tack for days or weeks, maybe minutes at best. I would get the sail to fit the boat, not the other way around. I've sent sails back because I didn't like the way the eyelets were fitted. It seems like a nonissue get the sail you bought, the one to fit your boat. A local sail loft wants a happy local sail owner. Especially when he doesn't have to pay return shipping and then more shipping to get the sail back to you.

I wouldn't be using the sail till it was repaired, everyone likes reworking new stuff, not stuff that has already been used , when the customer claims it won't work for me but I used it anyway!!
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 11:32   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

If these sails were ordered for a recognized boat design (including the sails) then the sailmaker is at fault and should either refund you, or trim to suit... period...
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 12:39   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Well if it’s this boat then it’s a recognized design.

https://www.sailrite.com/Newport-20-Sail-Data
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 14:49   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Well if it’s this boat then it’s a recognized design.

https://www.sailrite.com/Newport-20-Sail-Data

That's link is to a ketch. Clearly not the same boat as the OP's photos.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 20:56   #53

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
That's link is to a ketch. Clearly not the same boat as the OP's photos.
That's just Sailrite's way of showing you the names of all the dimensions. I think the dimensions shown below the diagram are correct for the Newport 20.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 22:22   #54

Quote:
So my "new" 20-footer just got a new mainsail with a nice, big roachy sail. It's really quite pretty but totally useless because it won't pass through the backstay not even trying to "pump" it. What would you do? Ask the sail maker to cut it down? Make a new one that fits the area correctly? Ask for your money back? I've never dealt with this before.Attachment 210337Attachment 210338
If your main has Ann adjustable back stay the answer is simple. Get a batten, attach it to the back of the top of the mast. Run a ring off end. Run your back stay (line only) through the ring and down to the adjuster on the deck. Ease the back stay tack or jibe and then tighten as needed. I used this setup for years racing my Martin 242.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 22:24   #55

Boat: Custom 31' rigid wing cat

Quote:
Ask for your money back? I've never dealt with this before.Attachment 210337Attachment 210338
I agree with the advice of others to get the sailmaker on board. That is a standard part of delivering a sail for many makers. They want to be sure everything is right and that you will pass the word along about their good service.

Also, given the boat is new to you:
Might there be a band on the mast, marking the intended location of the boom? Could the boom be too high?
Also, do you really want that much roach?
Is your boat one that sets up with a lot of mast bend which you have not yet applied?
Is it possible that the mast has been replaced, and that the original mast had a crane at the top but the replacement mast does not?

But fear not -- the sailmaker will fix everything and make it the way you want it.
Ken Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 02:43   #56

Boat: S&S 36

Consider second backstay, running backstay setup. It is not as bad as people make it to be. If your boom is passing inside backstay, it is easy.
Nico Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 07:02   #57

Boat: Hunter 37C

What model or class is the boat? I could not make out the insignia on the sail. I see an N and a 0.
If it is a one design boat there are resources from the class. At 20’ it’s on the small side for cruisers. Looking closer at the sail photos, Looks like N/20. And sail number 707 which indicates there are at least 706 other ones out there.
The J70 and Melges boats use the batten to hold the back stay away from the roach. So did a bunch of MORC boats in larger sizes.
Mobjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 07:53   #58

Boat: Hunter 37C

Looks like a Newport 20. I found a couple photos and boat specs on line.
Old 17-03-2020, 08:04   #59

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
...this is my friends and my light wind, beer can racing boat. It's also a 1973 vintage Newport 20...
^^^From the OP.

I do sometimes wonder if people actually read these threads...

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 10:28   #60

Boat: Freedom 38

Hey everyone! Lots of great input. I really like hearing all the possible options. I'm now in the "have the sailmaker cut it right" camp. He had reduced the batten in that top pocket and told us to ease the backstay. We sailed Blue Pearl on Sunday, but it only works most of the time now (in bigger air) and is a PITA because we also have to release the main and then bring it back in when we're close hauled. We are going to ask him to cut it down at the top. Grrrrr. That annoys me to no end on a brand new sail, but the boat moves well with old, baggie sails so I'm going to get over it soon. We've also invited him out for a sail to see what is happening, but likely he'll just get it cut and done.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote