Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2017, 15:13   #31

Re: What's better for installing aluminum mast steps: rivets or tapped threads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
What techniques are those that allow you to easily climb the mast without help and take the necessary tools along to complete a job. Steps sure sound easy. Climb up wearing a harness and clip/unclip every so often.

I'm a boulder so only have limited rock climbing knowledge when it comes to ropework. I'm guessing using ascenders, but won't they wear the lines pretty quickly?
With the equipment I use I don't actually use the ascenders on the halyard, I connect a dedicated climbing line to the halyard and haul it to the mast head then use it for ascending, as you suggest, this prevents any damage to the halyard....

This is the kit I use and the first video shows sending the climbing line up, good gear but not cheap...

Aloft Alone instructional videos - Aloft Alone

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 15:15   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

^^ oh yea, forgot to mention that. I have two specific sections of climbing line - one sized to go to just above the first spreaders and one to the masthead - which I hoist on a halyard and climb that line.

I mainly did this because the climbing gear is designed to work with climbing line and just works more smoothly. I actually did not find the gear to rip up the halyards much, but it can't hurt to protect the working halyards.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 19:19   #33

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by out42 View Post
Tefgel is definitely the current hot stuff, but it is very slippery. Duralac isn't, and sets seemingly almost as hard as loctite thereby doing two good things in one........
Thanks for the insight Steve - appreciated.
David
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 08:55   #34

Followup - from the OP:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Wow, I learned a lot. A couple of thoughts in response to the comments.

Why do mast steps? I really don't like heights - really don't. But there has been three situations now (about once per year) where we HAVE to go up to the top. The first once, my wife talked the dock neighbor into going up (he's half monkey and loved it). For the second time, I winched my 13 year-old daughter up (very light-easy). And the third time I went up (not so light-easy). Our plans, however, are to move into full-time cruising in the next year. We want to be able to solve the problems up the mast (e.g, replace windex, replace light, retrieve lost halyard, etc.) ourselves quickly and easily. Also think it would be fun to do some photography entering coves/harbors from the mast while underway.

Mast type - we have internal halyards so chafing from the sharp ends of screws "could" be a problem. This seems pretty important to me . . . so much that we'll probably go with rivets.

Rivet type - I've had trouble with dissimilar metals (al and SS) on mast fasteners before . . . so want to avoid that. I know there are gels you can add to help avoid that problem. I've been using Marlube exclusively now for several years. But, seems like I could completely avoid that with staying with 'similar' metals. So aluminum mast, aluminum steps = aluminum rivets too. I have a pneumatic riveter so we'll use that to pull the big size (either 3/16" or 1/4").

Mast step type - the mast steps are a "strap type". We're building these out of a sheet of 1/4" aluminum - cut into 2" strips - then bent into the a sort-of upside down "P" shape. We'll put two holes in the top flange, and two holes in the bottom flange.

~markb
bratzcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 09:01   #35

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

and.... be careful you don't hit any wires when drilling.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 10:43   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Your plan sounds fine, but just a suggestion - take 2 hours, go to a local rock climbing store which has a wall, and ask them to demonstrate the big wall rope climbing technique.

Really, if you only need to go up your mast twice a year, just have your wife or someone else strong in the anchorage winch you up. Use a safety. Then you have the rope climbing gear as back up, and it will allow you to get higher over the top of the mast.

Really honestly that is net better than steps. And yea, I don't like heights either.

But if you are set on steps . . . . Spend a little time on getting the step spacing right, both in the "open" mast panels, and around spreaders and other stuff. Spacing suited to you makes a world of difference in actual use.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 11:12   #37

I think either one will hold it fine. But, I have started using more and more threaded screws that I drill and tap the hole for. It is incredibly easy.
Old 27-07-2017, 15:52   #38

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

We have made similar steps and have found them very useful for many years.
For convenience, flat bar would be easier than cutting out of plate.
I put a rounded edge on ours using a router bit. Quite a simple operation which makes them much easier on the hands and feet.
Use a stop on your drill bit so it can't penetrate the mast too far.

Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 22:28   #39

Boat: Ted Brewer, Bulldog 30' built in aluminum

One suggestion I found useful on my steps:

add a side-by-side step at the top where you will be standing for quite some time repairing gear at the mast head.

Standing like a crane on one leg if you have just the top step is a pain.

I always use a single jumar ascender attached to a climbing harness on the halyard (in addition to the steps). There's no wear on the halyard because I'm not relying on the ascender for anything other than backup security (which is a big deal psychologically, but not a chaff component at all).

IMHO, the wire steps are ideal: less weight and windage than your proposed fabrication, less weight and hassle compared to fold up (although fold up is certainly less windage).
Mine have aluminum rivets with a wide aluminum washer (approx 2 cm) to avoid the chance of pull through.

This system has made the mast my friend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MastClimb.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	159645   Click image for larger version

Name:	maststep.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	350.4 KB
ID:	159646  

kmcshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 01:37   #40

I'd consider aluminium rivnuts.
bobgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 07:32   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgarrett View Post
I'd consider aluminium rivnuts.

As someone who has worked with rivnuts and nutserts for a long time, I would not, reason is just a little corrosion between the aluminum rivnuts and the SS screw and then when you try to remove the screw, the rivnuts will just spin in the mast. Now instead of having to drill out a soft aluminum rivet, you get to drill out a SS screw in an aluminum mast. Plus once removed, you now have a big hole in the mast as a rivnuts requires a much larger hole that just tapping a hole for a screw does.
I think I would use Monel rivets, or just tap the mast and use lots of tefgel when I installed the screws.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 08:03   #42

Boat: VIA 42, aluminium cutter

My mast steps are similar to Btstzcpa's with teak insteps where extended standing might be necessary.
The steps were pre drilled, 3 up, 3 down using 3/16 Al rivets, a standard size rivet tool and plastic between step and mast. Plastic from a freezer zip lock bag works well.

Al rivets can be easily drilled out and replaced, if necessary, a few years down the road.
Using ss screws is labour intensive to install, and almost always snap off on removal, even if Tuf-gel is used, and are guaranteed to cause unsightly corrosion. Drilling out the ss remnants is extremely difficult, at best.

There are special high load ss fasteners - non tapped - for winches, goose necks etc.

So called "experts" who screw into a mast are guaranteeing future corrosion: with a plethora of proper fastenings on the market, there is no excuse to screw into aluminium masts.
blueazimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 09:02   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
What's better for installing aluminum mast steps: rivets or tapped threads?

To put a plastic insulator between the SS part and the mast, use “dissimilar metals tape” it’s what is used on aircraft for this purpose , or you can use plain old clear packaging tape, you want tape as you can stick it to the step and trim it to fit with an exacto knife and it won’t move during installation.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 09:47   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
As someone who has worked with rivnuts and nutserts for a long time, I would not, reason is just a little corrosion between the aluminum rivnuts and the SS screw and then when you try to remove the screw, the rivnuts will just spin in the mast. Now instead of having to drill out a soft aluminum rivet, you get to drill out a SS screw in an aluminum mast. Plus once removed, you now have a big hole in the mast as a rivnuts requires a much larger hole that just tapping a hole for a screw does.
I think I would use Monel rivets, or just tap the mast and use lots of tefgel when I installed the screws.
Why use steel screws?
Aluminum mast, aluminium rivnuts and aluminium screws. All the same metal. If aluminium is strong enough for the mast continue the metal theme.
bobgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 11:17   #45
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I am in love with rivnuts.

Doubt they come in aluminum, but for SS check out the plusnuts variety.

Don't buy cheap from sources not tied to the real mfg.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum, mast