Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2011, 17:32   #46
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Wheels under 30 ft boats are just cockpit abusers IMHO
pedatsal steering is, but what about the old fasion type at the back of the cockpit, useually angled a little. My boat was designed in 1936 and it would look quite at home.
Yes feed back is good.....unless it is from a really big following sea.....then with a 7 1/2' tiller it sucks.
Old 26-01-2011, 14:53   #47

Most good sea boats with wheel steering carry a emergency tiller
Most good sea boats with a tiller do not carry an emergency wheel
ncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 15:48   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
The old fashioned worm gear steering has a lot of internal inertia. The wheel can turn the rudder fairly easily but not necessarily the other way round. Do not expect a pendulum servo type wind vane to work with a worm gear steering system, you'll need auxillary rudder self steering.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 23:52   #49

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
OK I was after a wheel but got a tiller 31ft now I need a auto pilot I can only find two on ebay
NEW SIMRAD TP32 TILLER PILOT SAILBOAT BOAT AUTOSTEERING - eBay (item 180585372499 end time Feb-07-11 09:18:32 PST)

NEW Raymarine ST2000 Plus Tiller Pilot RRP $999.00 (eBay item 220719814941 end time 04-Feb-11 10:39:58 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats
Any Ideas to which is best or could someone recommend a better one.
Its never had one so I need full install.

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:49   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Not used the Simrad, but we have a ST2000 on a 31ft yacht. Copes well with conditions but haven't used it above F6 and not to have to. Sensitive to other electronic devices nearby. I sat next to it with a mobile phone in my pocket and we changed course by 30 degrees. Took a minute or two to work that one out. However, unpluging the wire means it lifts off for safe storage below decks when not needed.

The one weekness seems to be water getting in via the shaft to housing seal so we have a home made cover if it starts to rain.

Would like another ST2000 as a spare but they sell for high prices in the UK.
Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:58   #51

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
I still have an Autohelm 1000 for my tiller-steered 33 footer. Works like a charm, except it eats a fair number of amps and can be overwhelmed in some conditions, even on "rough" setting.

I usually only use it when head to wind under power or when motoring in dead air or motorsailing because I'm trying to get somewhere in a weather or daylight window.

Obtaining the correct course entails enthusiastic fiddling (no GPS hookup, obviously); however, once set, there is very little wobble off course...perhaps two degrees over an hour as per GPS.

I salvaged a chucked one a few years back in the hope I could cannibalize parts if I ever needed to.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:43   #52
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
The old fashioned worm gear steering has a lot of internal inertia. The wheel can turn the rudder fairly easily but not necessarily the other way round. Do not expect a pendulum servo type wind vane to work with a worm gear steering system, you'll need auxillary rudder self steering.
Actually the steering system I am considering mounts to the top of the rudder head and has it own rudder (not a trim tab attached to the rudder) that trails just behind main rudder using it's wake for leverage, no control lines. If I ever do choose to use the tiller, then I just have to disconect the connecting rod leading from the steering box. I have so many other "irons in the fire" I will let this go awhile, better to see how it handles with a tiller first before going through all the fuss and bother just because a bronze wheel would look pretty.