Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2020, 09:29   #1

Boat: 1973 ensenada 20
Where do you put the gas in this thing ???

I'm going to treat it like I just bought it at a yard sale . Start by finding manuals and go from there . Ha ha I have a feeling this is going to hurt Click image for larger version

Name:	20200919_121710.jpeg
Views:	243
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	223757
WilliamKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 09:35   #2

Re: Where do you put the gas in this thing ???

Those thread Tanglers don't need gas to ball thread up!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 11:08   #3

What fascinating machines these things are
Old 19-09-2020, 11:28   #4

Boat: Pearson 367

Just pour a little on top then light a match. Make sure you don't burn the marshmallows.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 22:30   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Ah, a Brother machine. I have a PoS Brother from the mid-90’s that actually was able to see thru 9 layers of Sunbrella for a sail cover, I had to help it along but it would do it. Balked at 10 layers.

I got a Kenmore and a Necchi from my mother that haven’t really done as well.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 23:48   #6

Thing says baby lock pro line . I successfully made a one finger glove earlier out of old carhearts but alas the Howard Stern and Robin Quivers for president 2016 T shirt given to me by Jeff The Drunk dissapeared into the inter workings of the machine . ...
Old 20-09-2020, 10:19   #7

I bought a Brother to do sails for dinghy's back in the 80's, sewing 2-3oz material, almost daily things jammed, lost timing. I seen how they got there name, OH BROTHER, DAMN THING. I know there still in business so some people have to be happy with them. They may be OK for dresses and shirts, but sails and canvas, I found them lacking badly.
Back in mid 80's we got caught in a edge of a hurricane and lost 3 sails, bought a used Kenmore with brass gears. Sewed 7-8 layers of 5.5oz on corners, I sewed, Geri folded and rolled cloth, Deb shot shots of Silicon spray on the needles as I sewed. That Kenmore sewed that heavy crap for 7 days and never misfired other than breaking a bunch of needles. We built those 3 sails down in Cat Island on a cobble stone bar patio. Got a little book, make your own sails, with the new sails we picked up about a knot and a half on most points of sail Sold the Kenmore when I sold my schooner. Bought a used Chinese Sailrite in early 90's, been sewing with it for 35 years, never done an adjustment, never had a part break, I blow it all out and oil it every year or two. It is just bullet proof. I would imagine the Sailrite's are tops, but my machine looks just like them, will use there accessaries and costs about $400 vs. $800. I did ad the monster wheel with knob to mine as well as the guide bar, both Sailrite ad ons, both fit perfectly. I had doubts when I bought it but they faded away the first month I owned it. I even sew leather with it and never have a problem. So my two cents worth, if you want a machine for your own use, a 20-40 year old Kenmore manual machine with metal gears (no electronic crap) will probably serve your needs. If you want to make a little cruising money sewing for others and got plenty of bucks, go for the Sailrite. For what it's worth, I would still go with one of the Chinese machines, probably made in the same factory as the Sailrite's. I have never been disappointed in mine and I use it 5-8 times a month for 30+ year's.
Hay All, have fun sewing and sailing, what ever keeps that smile on your face. Take care, stay safe.
Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret.MS St.Petersburg, Fl.
CF32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 10:33   #8

Hi all, CaptVR here again. The machine I have is a Reliable ZigZag, the other two are the Barracuda and the Rex. From personal experience the Reliable is truly that, From what I read, the other two are also good machines at about the same price. I have not checked recently, but they were about half the cost of a Sailrite. I do know Sailrite parts do fit the reliable, I could not swear that the other machines will. Again, take care, pleasant sailing CaptVR
CF32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 15:17   #9

Any more bad jokes on this thread? Have us all in stitches? Cotton on? Is it the "reel" thing. Bobbin around in the water? Cross hatches? Tacking?
Sorry.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 02:59   #10

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

Singer 201 Gear Drive. $100 @ a garage sale years ago. Been sewing upholstery, mending sails, and lately making Covid masks. New bimini cover and dodger on the sewing table this winter. Barb needs a "sheet bag" for her I-phone and after hanging our handheld VHF from the binnacle and watching the compass swing 45 deg off course, I'll be making a bag for it as well.

Simple, 100% reliable machine that works like a sled dog.
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 15:40   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Most brands make both crap 'home' machines and commercial quality ones including Brother and Singer. Metal frame and gears, walking foot, more room under the arm are what you're looking for
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote