Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2022, 18:16   #16

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Where to find specialty rigging items?

Also, I don’t think a rigging shop is where I would be getting this stuff. This isn’t really rigging I don’t think. The ones mentioned didn’t have it. This is hardware. Not so specific I guess. Maybe my thread title is a little off.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 02:48   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Damn. That’s not what I wanted to hear! Ha ha Ha

But I don’t know. Everything is already engineered for stainless bushings. I’m not sure I can just replace steel with G 10 with the same dimensions. It definitely doesn’t have the same numbers as 316 stainless. It’s pretty much going to be just in compression though.

I mean, I like how easy that sounds. But, this is one place I don’t want to deviate from the plans at all.

And I don’t have any drill press here. I wonder if Harbor freight makes some cheap thing that you can squeeze a regular drill down with. I’ll take a look I guess.

Edit: WOW. I had no idea a basic drill press was so cheap. Probably a good investment for doing this rigging.
I think your best bet is to find a local welding shop that can get you exactly what the plans call for. My local guys are glad to do small cash jobs when I need a piece of rod or a quick weld, especially since I bring them bigger fab. jobs. I can't imagine fitting out a boat without a decent welder/machinist handy.
Old 23-03-2022, 03:52   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
I think your best bet is to find a local welding shop that can get you exactly what the plans call for. My local guys are glad to do small cash jobs when I need a piece of rod or a quick weld, especially since I bring them bigger fab. jobs. I can't imagine fitting out a boat without a decent welder/machinist handy.
That’s the dream.

Here, they don’t call you back, can’t make these simple pins and bushings for weeks, etc.

No yankee pride and ingenuity here. Just slow laziness. Ha ha ha.

I had a good place where I built the boat originally. But not down here. It truly sucks.
Old 23-03-2022, 05:33   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

If you want a fabricator to manufacture two parts, that must fit/work together, I would let the fabricator source his own base stock.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 08:01   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
If you want a fabricator to manufacture two parts, that must fit/work together, I would let the fabricator source his own base stock.

Good idea. I’m trying to have the fabricator locally get these materials and get this together. It’s sort of holding things up right now.
Old 23-03-2022, 08:42   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

To drill thru' stainless steel, you'll need cobalt drill bits. Should be no problem finding these. Be sure to get the good one's....not just plated....use a slow drilling speed. I use sewing machine oil to lube the drill while I'm drilling. Didn't have an problem doing that.

To keep the drill centered, use a jig, or drill press, otherwise the drill has a tendency to slide off...

I see this has all been mentioned before...just reiterating
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging