Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2017, 14:31   #16

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Where to put sail cover and ties?

Sail cover rolls up on either side of boom, held in place with bungee loops over hooks next to boom on upper inside of sail cover halves.
Sail cover zips lengthwise down the top.
(Homemade Doyle Stackpack copy) No sail ties at all.
I'd never have it any other way !

Good video, but horrible wind sound.

There's also a Mack Pack

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 14:53   #17

Boat: Pearson 10M

Thanks Mechanico,

Seriously considering the Mack pack. The mast is down now and I need a new sail cover anyway. That will solve that one problem.
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 15:07   #18
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I find the marketing of boats without a sail locker comical. That would be a big demerit in my book. What about fenders, fender boards, window covers or tarps, and docklines etc. for the front end? Carry them all from cockpit lockers? Silly. But you gotta make that V-berth as big as you can and sleep as many as possible, even if sailing is compromised.
Old 28-04-2017, 15:13   #19

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

sagablu:

You need to do some bird prevention. Here in Oz, there are a number of birds that befoul sails: gulls, shags (a kind of cormorant), sulfur crested cockatoos, etc. There are a number of ways to keep them off. Light fish line, tied from the shrouds, about 3 " above them, to a tiny saddle or a screw into the mast. Also, can run a similar line when you leave the boat, from around the mast about 6" above the mainsail cover, to the boom topping lift. Some people put old CD discs on the line, too, the birds are bothered by the reflectivity. The shroud/spreader lines can be left in place when you sail.

Zeehag's right, wash the bird poo out of the fabric. Her method will work, use more water than you think. Or, wash it in a wash machine with laundry detergent, but air dry it. Once it's copacetic, fold or roll and tie it with a sail tie and put it somewhere out of the way. We used to put ours in the cockpit locker, but you could also put it in the quarter berth. Before everybody's sitting on top of it. You could make or buy a bag for it , or put it in an empty sail bag, as mentioned by previous posters, but that's sort of overkill to me. Sail ties go in the cockpit coaming holes.

I think a deck box is not the best idea, the boat is small, and uncluttered decks are a good deal.

Ann
Old 28-04-2017, 15:29   #20

Boat: J/42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
This is exactly the same place I put ours as well.
Me too.

Although the sail cover barely fits over the new(ish) main and is starting to look a little tatty... looks like a growing kid from a poor family wearing last year's tee shirt. Somewhat accurately, at that. I've been thinking of making a sail pack for it, which would solve the stowage problem. Maybe this fall, if I haven't broken the sewing machine by then.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 16:52   #21

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
sagablu:

You need to do some bird prevention. Here in Oz, there are a number of birds that befoul sails: gulls, shags (a kind of cormorant), sulfur crested cockatoos, etc. There are a number of ways to keep them off. Light fish line, tied from the shrouds, about 3 " above them, to a tiny saddle or a screw into the mast. Also, can run a similar line when you leave the boat, from around the mast about 6" above the mainsail cover, to the boom topping lift. Some people put old CD discs on the line, too, the birds are bothered by the reflectivity. The shroud/spreader lines can be left in place when you sail.

Zeehag's right, wash the bird poo out of the fabric. Her method will work, use more water than you think. Or, wash it in a wash machine with laundry detergent, but air dry it. Once it's copacetic, fold or roll and tie it with a sail tie and put it somewhere out of the way. We used to put ours in the cockpit locker, but you could also put it in the quarter berth. Before everybody's sitting on top of it. You could make or buy a bag for it , or put it in an empty sail bag, as mentioned by previous posters, but that's sort of overkill to me. Sail ties go in the cockpit coaming holes.

I think a deck box is not the best idea, the boat is small, and uncluttered decks are a good deal.

Ann
I had a bad year with the winged vermin. The speaker spikes fell off and we had a fish die off in the bay, really bad season. Just putting the spikes back on will help a lot.
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 17:11   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
I had a bad year with the winged vermin
Yeah, fish eating bird poo is just awful! Get your spikes back up if that's your preferred method.

Ann

Tags
sail, sail cover