Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2019, 09:26   #1

Whisker pole car insert/runner?

I've got a Forespar whisker pole with a sliding car on a t-track on the forward side of the boom. A couple of years ago had the boat shipped, and the insert that goes between the mast car and the track was lost. I know that the toggle is a Forespar product, but the car has no label whatsoever. I'm attaching picture of the car. Need to find where to purchase the insert?
Other details... I think the track on the front of the mast was already in place when the whisker pole was set up by Mack Sails in 2014. The boat is a 2005 Beneteau 393.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whisker_car_01_marked.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	416.1 KB
ID:	193367  
desertsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:31   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Whisker pole car insert/runner?

Make of Boat & Spar?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:28   #3

Forespar whisker pole, 2005 Beneteau 393 (french built)
Old 06-06-2019, 13:46   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

There may have been a plastic bearing surface between the car and the mast track. Will check this morning on mine though IIRC there wasn't one. Car will be sloppy on the track without it but should still work. Will be harder to impossible to move car under load but that's the case with almost every car unless it is ball bearing.

You could try Forespar for the replacement plastic if it was there but may not be able to retrofit it if it was molded in place.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 21:04   #5

I contacted Forespar, and they said while they made the toggle, the car was not one of theirs, and they didn't recognize it.
Without the insert it won't stay at all, I got some 3/8" nylon rod, cut it to length to fit into the cylindrical depression perfectly, but it's not enough diameter to keep the car on the track, it moves back and forth and comes loose. I'm looking into trying a thicker nylon rod as one option. Or perhaps designing something and 3d printing it... But that's getting pretty technical, and I'll probably have to have the design sent out for printing in a stronger material than is used by the typical 3d printer.
It would be even better if someone had a line on a replacement liner somewhere. It would seem like this is a part that would periodically need to be replaced due to wear...
Old 06-06-2019, 21:40   #6

Boat: Outremer 50S

That looks like a Z-Spar car (the two 'wings') are somewhat of an identifier. That would also make sense with a French build.

What width dimension is the T-track? Z-Spar Z-73R-25 fits a 25mm track. It uses 2x round rods, Delrin, 10mm x 140mm. So, 3/8 is a good guess and close, but a 0.5mm small (which would give you 1mm extra play compared with factory).

[Edit] Z-Spar also make a 32mm track/car that take 9.5mm rods��
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:27   #7

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

I have a reaching strut with this old-style attachment. Do you want it?
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:18   #8

I might! Have a picture?
Thanks!
Dean