Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2023, 06:55   #1

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 30K
Whisker pole stowage options

I want to get the pole off the deck and i dont want it on the stanchions. I cant spend any money now. This is what I'm thinking. I hope to get critiques. Maybe its not a good idea to put it on the shrouds. I’m thinking its will be too noisy and I will probably put it back on the deck chocks. I dont want it there because its under the kayak and too much trouble to access. It will be a year or more before i can mount it on the mast
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66E00A91-A840-407D-B6F1-80C1A5326E62.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	284128   Click image for larger version

Name:	F5751BD8-366A-434B-BDA8-FE64A05A2390.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	284129  

Name:	4C75A9F6-BE38-461D-9936-A7856D35C486.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	341.7 KB
ID:	284130  
JD-MDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 06:27   #2

Boat: Imexus 28
Re: Whisker pole stowage options

Mine stays attached to the mast and just pulls vertically straight up it and tensions in place with a sheet winch. It doesn’t hit the mast itself due to the line passing over a plastic pvc pipe saddle used to support the furled genoa when the mast is in its lowered position for trailering.
Sorry shots of the items in question are a bit distant. The whisker pole also does double duty as the one person launch and retrieve from the foredeck dingy crane.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2330.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	426.8 KB
ID:	284152   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2248.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	427.0 KB
ID:	284153  

Name:	IMG_1763.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	284154  
Grith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 06:46   #3

Thanks Grith,
That seems to be the best and preferred way to stow it. I guess I’m wanting to hear if anyone has any foresight ofproblems i might run into with it on the shroud. Not getting any feedback yet
Old 07-12-2023, 06:53   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

This a really interesting design problem.

Your mast doesn't look like a very good option with that much wiring going up it on the forward side. The halyard holding the top has really bad geometry for the task - it won't keep it from banging around. You don't want to spend a bunch of money.

At the moment I'm thinking of a PVC collar larger than the pole and clamped to the shroud at the height of the pole, and another collar with a cap at the bottom, also clamped to the shroud. Lift the pole into the top collar and set the base down in the bottom pocket. Spacing needs to let the pole loose when it's lifted out of the bottom pocket and lowered to the deck. Some butyl foam tape could help with muffling any noise if the pole rattles in the pocket, or a bungee wrapping the pole to the shroud could do the same job.

I'm sure there are other ways to skin this cat. Good luck with it.
Old 07-12-2023, 06:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
This a really interesting design problem.

Your mast doesn't look like a very good option with that much wiring going up it on the forward side. The halyard holding the top has really bad geometry for the task - it won't keep it from banging around. You don't want to spend a bunch of money.
I'm sure there are other ways to skin this cat. Good luck with it.
Thanks. Those are stowed lazy jack lines and a topping lift for the club boom. I dont think I will have a problem installing a track on the forward of the mast. Just cant afford it now
Sorry about the photos. (Screenshots from another forum)
Old 07-12-2023, 08:49   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I clip mine to the lower life lines just aft of the bow.
I lashed two 3" dia. eye rings the appropriate distance apart to the lower lifeline and the pole clips right to it on the inboard side.
Being just aft of the bow it's not in the way of much of anything.
I have a cable attached to each end of the pole trigger end.
These cables run slightly past each other in the middle of the pole and are retained by a clip.
A quick tug on the cable releases the pole with ease and also returning the pole to the eyes.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 16:24   #7
Marine Service Provider

I question the use of the word "whisker pole" for the item described above as it looks like a "spinnaker pole" to my tired eyes.
A "whisker pole" is a short stubby pole that attaches to the side of mast (hence the name as it mimics a cat's whisker) , and typically extends out between the forward lower and upper shroud, and it's length is maybe a few inches longer than the beam of the boat at the mast location.
It's purpose is to keep the windward spinnaker sheet off the shrouds, when the spinnaker pole is right up against the forestay or close to it.
Just my 2c for the day.
Old 07-12-2023, 17:47   #8

It has a line that extends it out to 17’. The pole is 3”. I called it whisker pole when i took it to “ Forespar”” for repair. They didn't have a problem with that. I use it to pole out my Genoa.
Old 07-12-2023, 21:15   #9

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

A note for you all on proper terminology:
A spinnaker pole is for holding the luff of a (usually symmetrical) spinnaker out to windward when going downwind. It is usually a bit longer than the distance from the front of the mast to the forestay.
A whisker pole is used for holding the leach of a jib out to windward when going downwind. It goes from the mast to the clew of the jib is is typically a bit longer than the foot of the jib. A whisker pole is NOT a "jockey pole".
A jockey pole (also known as a reaching strut) is a short pole that goes from the side of the mast past the cap shroud and clips over the the spinnaker guy. It is used to push the guy out to give the guy a better angle to the end of the spinnaker pole when you are beam reaching with the spinnaker and the spinnaker pole is getting close to the forestay. See this for a graphic illustration: https://sailing-blog.nauticed.org/ho...a-jockey-pole/
Hope that is crystal clear.
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 01:13   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I question the use of the word "whisker pole" for the item described above as it looks like a "spinnaker pole" to my tired eyes.
A "whisker pole" is a short stubby pole that attaches to the side of mast (hence the name as it mimics a cat's whisker) , and typically extends out between the forward lower and upper shroud, and it's length is maybe a few inches longer than the beam of the boat at the mast location.
A Whisker Pole is usually specified as 100% of the length of the headsail foot being flown, measured from tack to clew.
Any relationship to boat beam is merely coincidental.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 06:47   #11

Thanks Gord and Nuku. Just for conversation. This boat came with a reaching strut. I didnt know how to use it and snapped the end the first time I tried. I thought i could use it like a whisker pole. Thanks to Nuku. I may try a reaching strut again on my spinaker. But. I dont really have a spinaker. The bag says multi purpose sail. Some call it a genaker and someone else said asymetrical I assume the strut is for that sail since they both came with the boat
Old 08-12-2023, 07:07   #12
Marine Service Provider

I've always used the term " whisker pole" for the "reaching strut".....not sure where or when I learned that, but it made sense to me at the time, so it has stuck with me.

Most cruisers will likely not have anything but a spinnaker pole on the boat, so the use of additional struts/poles is likely the to be found on race boats only.

Old time cruisers...that would include me.....often carried two spinnaker poles for dead downwind running with two hanked on headsails.
Old 08-12-2023, 10:30   #13

My Pole is held to the shroud by a small bit of bungee top and bottom, easy to get to, no noise, no hassle. I popped it onto the stack pack on my last boat which was ok, but as i have to walk past it to use it whilst its on the shroud it works well for me. I climb onto the boat at this exact point and use the wider pole to grip as well, and so for me this works perfectly. I actually have one on each side, one huge long fixed length one that came with the boat that i hate and will eventually give away on the marina and a nice new fancy 3 extension one i like and use.
diverd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 10:39   #14

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I know what you mean. Since I don't use mine often I have all my long poles (oars, whisker, spinnaker, boat hook) stowed below because I have room for them, believe it or not, in my little boat. I am not sure of the CD, you might.

What I see in the photos looks ok to me but I'd probably let the pole go down to the deck (instead of the turnbuckle) and lash it to the shroud with a bungee; easy on and easy off. The faux racer in me looks at the windage on the shroud and recoils, the cruiser in me sees the practicality though!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 10:45   #15

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Old time cruisers...that would include me.....often carried two spinnaker poles for dead downwind running with two hanked on headsails.
I got those too! I thought I was the only one!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote