Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2019, 13:43   #31

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Whose traveller would you want?

A64, for your application I'd think using socket head cap screws instead of hex head would solve your installation re the threaded plates in the cabin top.

Jim
Old 04-12-2019, 13:58   #32

I'll chime in with another vote for Garhauer. Their price/quality formula hits the sweet spot.

I have a bunch of old spare blocks, some inherited with the boat some picked up at various marine yard sales, etc. Without naming other famous names (we know who they are) Garhauer's by far show less wear from age and use. I'm really surprised they are not the go to standard with the sailing crowd.
Island Time O25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 14:01   #33
bmz

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
... The traveller’s job is to change the position from which you operate the main sheet. Without it you can’t get close-hauled without pulling the main very flat...

The traveller is how you control the twist of the sail, and you can’t sail efficiently without one...
However, when you are close-hauled you want to flatten the main--the more close-hauled--the flatter you want the main. The boom vang also controls the twist of the sail--pulling the boom down reduces twist.

Number of major boat manufacturers are eliminating the traveler because it is redundant. The OP said he was running out of time to get his new traveler; I was simply suggesting that he doesn't really need to have the new traveler before taking off.
bmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 14:35   #34

NEVER BUY ANYTHING from anyone who doesn't keep his word unless it's absolutely impossible to do so.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 14:38   #35

Boat: Catalina 36

Call Guido at Garhauer !!!!!!!
There is nothing like dealing with a manufacturer that feels your needs are paramount !
Catboat Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 14:43   #36

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

I have the one that came off my 30 ft Hunter (Lewmar). She was a fractional rig so the main was pretty big. Coming over this way over the holidays. Such a deal, but a little more than the Dynaplate.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 15:35   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
A64, for your application I'd think using socket head cap screws instead of hex head would solve your installation re the threaded plates in the cabin top.

Jim

I think your probably right, it’s just not logical what they are telling me, however I’m reticent buying one sight unseen, so I’m going to go with conventional wisdom and do as I’m told
Internal wrenching bolts are underutilized on boats in my opinion, I prefer them over screws myself in most installations.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 15:42   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
I have the one that came off my 30 ft Hunter (Lewmar). She was a fractional rig so the main was pretty big. Coming over this way over the holidays. Such a deal, but a little more than the Dynaplate.

Frankly

Thanks but I’m pretty sure I’m going to go with Harken and their high load car and end controls, but with a 2 to 1 purchase as I have dual 43 winches that can handle that if I need them to.
I’ll probably just head up and adjust if needed as I’m not racing, but I don’t want all the line that a 4 or 6 to 1 brings with it, and to be honest I used to just throw my back into loads like that, now I’m more apt to figure a way to use a winch. I even placed a small winch to furl the Genoa now as doing it by hand was hard on my back, I could do it of course but why if you don’t have to?
Old 04-12-2019, 15:46   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchaway View Post
NEVER BUY ANYTHING from anyone who doesn't keep his word unless it's absolutely impossible to do so.

Yes, I’ve come to that opinion myself, if it’s hard to get them to sell you an entire new system, imagine trying to get repair parts from them sent to some remote out of the way place.
Old 04-12-2019, 16:11   #40

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
What about Garhauer?
This ^^^
Built very well, and not silly expensive.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 16:46   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmz View Post
However, when you are close-hauled you want to flatten the main--the more close-hauled--the flatter you want the main.

Not necessarily, it depends on the conditions. There are times when a centered main with a bit more shape is preferable.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 18:35   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmz View Post
How about no traveler? the primary purpose of a traveler is to keep the boom from rising; but a boom vang can do that just as well. I set my vang for the proper position off the wind and just keep it there. As I sheet in, the main sheet brings the boom further down-- always keeping just about the right tension on the boom.
Not having a traveler costs a LOT in upwind performance. With only a centerline attachment for the mainsheet, you can never REALLY get the boom centered, and if you try you'll have to crank ALL the twist of of the sail, which is not a good thing for windward progress.

A boom vang is NOT at all a substitute for a traveler.

Even a very short traveler really helps on a close hauled course, and a nice long one is a delight, allowing control of mainsail angle of attach AND twist even pretty far off the wind.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 19:03   #43

Boat: O’Day 40

I’d be remiss for not plugging all the good folks at Garhauer. The rolled me a new traveler to match the curve of my old one & it fit perfectly, holes aligned on the dot. Good gear, great people, honest prices, love ‘em.

Lou K
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 19:23   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Why do you want a curved (as in arch) traveller? A horizontal one, particularly one that curves on a flat plane (equidistant from the mast) is far more efficient, but few manufacturers make one. That way, you can set your twist with the mainsheet, and trim in and out with the traveller, which should be as long as possible.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:09   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
Why do you want a curved (as in arch) traveller? A horizontal one, particularly one that curves on a flat plane (equidistant from the mast) is far more efficient, but few manufacturers make one. That way, you can set your twist with the mainsheet, and trim in and out with the traveller, which should be as long as possible.

Because it fits the boat