Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2020, 04:47   #46

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i
Re: Why not corded tool for electric winch alternative?

Just trying to add to the collective knowledge of CF, If The wench has two speeds, the drill has two speeds try putting the drill in reverse. Milwaukee makes good tools. I worked in the FDNY And was part of there R&D unit as a lieutenant and then again as a Captain. We tested many cordless tools to purchase for the field (the FDNY is the second largest fire department in the world) after extensive testing of the top tool brands Dewalt won the contract (Milwaukee came in 4th, they were not consistent across their complete line) of 500+ sets of cordless tools. The over all durability across the complete range of tools is what was the separator. The evolution of the cordless tool is advancing at a very fast pace. We found one of the most important factors in the tools longevity is its use, you have to use them.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 15:19   #47

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

So I have had several messages to ask about the second angle adapter. Here are a series of pictures. Assembled as shown will haul a large man up a tall mast on a halyard with a Lewmar 30 winch in low speed. It will trim a 750 sq ft head sail in 20 knots apparent close hauled on a Lewmar 63.

To get the extra parts I bought a refurbished angle drill. Cheaper than buying the parts.

We also have 3 batteries but really only need 2. We put the used one in the charger on a small inverter and it charges quite quickly.

We destroyed a battery the first season overloading the drill and drawing down power to quickly. We still overload the drill a bit but it manages and we now have quite a few miles on the new batteries.

Canadians should go to jccayer.com to buy batteries at the equivalent of US dollars. If they don't have them on the site call them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Assembled Drill.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	407.0 KB
ID:	226052   Click image for larger version

Name:	All the parts.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	226053  

Name:	Chuck and angle drive.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	404.9 KB
ID:	226054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drill with first angle (2).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	401.9 KB
ID:	226055  

Name:	Drill with first angle.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	370.4 KB
ID:	226056  
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 10:14   #48

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Thanks for the photos.

So, the additional right angle adapters are just like the original right angle adapter that came with the drill, and I assume they come from Milwuakee Co. or from another Milwaukee drill as you have done. Is that correct? Also, does adding another right angle adapter increase the torque of the drill. I thought that the right angle adapter only changed the direction of the torque.

Thanks in advance.
Roy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 10:54   #49

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Bruner View Post
Thanks for the photos.

So, the additional right angle adapters are just like the original right angle adapter that came with the drill, and I assume they come from Milwuakee Co. or from another Milwaukee drill as you have done. Is that correct? Also, does adding another right angle adapter increase the torque of the drill. I thought that the right angle adapter only changed the direction of the torque.

Thanks in advance.
Everything is from Milwaukee.

The right angle adapter has a large gear reduction in it. Notice that in the picture with the chuck, you can see the word LOW where the chuck is attached. The other end should say high but it does not. You put the angle adapter on the drill with the high end facing the drill, you put the next adapter on the first adapter with the high end facing the first adaptor.

This gives you 2 gear reductions and results in a lot of torgue. Due to the drill not being over loaded it uses a lot less battery. Caution and a good hand hold is required here. If the winch comes to a complete stop then you better have a good hold and release the trigger or it will rip right out of your hand.

When I priced the parts about 4 yrs ago it was going to cost me 150 CDN for the parts. That is the chrome joiner, the shaft coupler and a right angle. I went up to the Milwaukee repair center on fall sale day and I got a complete system for 159 cnd. So I bought that. I have a spare drill with a chuck now.

Do not buy aftermarket Chinese replacement batteries. You have no idea if they were repaired right. This is a high load, high torque machine. If you batteries start on fire either in your hand or in your boat you will be wishing you has spent the extra 50$.

Some will say they can not go on fire. They should feel free to then buy the Chinese rebuilds. I will not take the chance.

As said before Canadians should go the https://www.jccayer.com where you can buy the 28 volt batteries for the US price in Canadian dollars without Milwaukee Canada's rip off mark up. Canadians get hosed on distribution so badly it is a crying shame
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:46   #50

Boat: Maxim 380

We have the Milwaukee corded version that we use for that purpose. 4 years no problem. Our catamaran also uses a boom derick to raise the dinghy instead of davits. We often use it to quickly raise the dinghy in a rough anchorage. Our 2500w inverter hasn't complained yet. With the winch turning in the low speed direction the torque on the drill is easily managed by my wife.
tunnelvision is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, winch