Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2012, 09:14   #106
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
We can take the tragedy in the farrallones race as an example that could have been avoided had the crew been clipped in.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 09:21   #107

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Why Use Flat Webbing as Jacklines Instead of Rope ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
We can take the tragedy in the farrallones race as an example that could have been avoided had the crew been clipped in.
And if the boat rolls, then your still with the boat, dead or alive.

The problem being is getting unclipped if need be.
Old 17-04-2012, 13:37   #108

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Which is why all tethers should have clips on both ends - the crew's end must never be tied off.
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 13:55   #109
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In the case of the faralones, its like the seatbelt myth. The idea that you have a better chance of surviving if you dont wear a seatbelt and are thrown from the wreck. Statistically this is a lie. The same holds true for tethers. For every soul drowned due to being dragged along side the boat under water how many are saved?

And of the ones drowned how many would have been lost anyway to the sea ? And of the ones left how many would have been saved by a proper rescue system to pull them out of the water making the rescue system the problem and not the tether.

We all have our opinions amd i have mine as well. I have also more than half a dozen times been swept the deck by green water and i can only imagine that at least one of those would have taken me over if not for my tether bringing me short.

Old 17-04-2012, 14:40   #110
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
The fear of being drowned by my tether is the reason I am moving my faithful Gerber River Shorty knife from my kayaking PFD to my Mustang inflatable. The knife has one purpose... cutting my way out of whatever is preventing me from breathing and saving my butt.

IMHO, anyone tethered should have a straight blade rescue knife to cut themselves away, if needed. It could also deflate the PFD in a turtle situation.

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 15:08   #111

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

......the Farallones race tragedy really drives home the "clipped on/jack lines" mandate...
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 15:15   #112

why? lay both on side deck, heel a tad, now go step on each and see which one rolls under your foot??

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 16:14   #113
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore
The fear of being drowned by my tether is the reason I am moving my faithful Gerber River Shorty knife from my kayaking PFD to my Mustang inflatable. The knife has one purpose... cutting my way out of whatever is preventing me from breathing and saving my butt.

IMHO, anyone tethered should have a straight blade rescue knife to cut themselves away, if needed. It could also deflate the PFD in a turtle situation.

Bill
Having a sailing knife attached to your harness is standard procedure for those observing seamen like procedures. Not just to save your life but also to deal withother emergencies and non emergincies like opening a shackle and using the fid to loosen a salty and stubborn knot...

Old 17-04-2012, 16:25   #114
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor

Having a sailing knife attached to your harness is standard procedure for those observing seamen like procedures. Not just to save your life but also to deal withother emergencies and non emergincies like opening a shackle and using the fid to loosen a salty and stubborn knot...

I don't like folding knifes for use in an emergency. When the manure hits the fan, having to unfold a knife assumes calmness. A straight blade emergency knife is idiot-resistant.... just unsheath, slash and survive.

That said, a proper sailing knife does have its place

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 16:38   #115
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

If you have a pad-eye in the middle of the foredeck (for a baby stay, for this purpose and/or some other reason) this will give you a place to clip in and allow you to move around the fore deck to tend to sails and keep you on deck...my harness has two lengths of tether 3' and 6' (with the ability to change to two 3'). Also I would not fly a jennaker or spinnaker at night.
Old 17-04-2012, 17:44   #116
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Back to the original thread.

I was single-handing yesteraday in some bumpy conditions (SCA), using new tethers. I've been using tethers for 20 years and though I have many thoughs, two seem on-topic:

1. Easy to use clips are a boon. I love the new Kong Tango clips, and I've used many. So fast. I'll keep them lubed.

2. I greatly prefer rope jacklines (1/2-inch) to webbing (I've used both on this boat). Rope is way easier to clip than wet webbing and also makes a better hand hold.

Do they look like runing rigging? Go for bright yellow. Do they get under foot? Not where mine are set.

To me, speed with acuracy is very important.
Old 17-04-2012, 18:02   #117

I recently saw a system at a theme park to allow the maintenance people on the roller coasters to remain continuously clipped in while climbing the stairs. Some kind of ball that passed over connection points.
Seems could be adapted to boats. It would then allow a more rigid and continuous point of contact.
I remember the fastnet tragedy. Many guys were drowned under their boats-locked into their tethers. Essential to have quick release. The English tethers I have have a double catch - hard to release -would never use them...
My boat has plastic covered ss lifeline for jacklines. but I don't use them to many things to go wrong...
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 18:12   #118
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Back to the original thread.

I was single-handing yesteraday in some bumpy conditions (SCA), using new tethers. I've been using tethers for 20 years and though I have many thoughs, two seem on-topic:

1. Easy to use clips are a boon. I love the new Kong Tango clips, and I've used many. So fast. I'll keep them lubed.

2. I greatly prefer rope jacklines (1/2-inch) to webbing (I've used both on this boat). Rope is way easier to clip than wet webbing and also makes a better hand hold.

Do they look like runing rigging? Go for bright yellow. Do they get under foot? Not where mine are set.

To me, speed with acuracy is very important.
Jack lines that run alone tha gunwales keep you attached to the boat after you fall over, get under foot and you need two sets....a single one down the midde of the cabin top doesn't get under foot and keeps you on the boat (I'm agreeing with you).
Old 17-04-2012, 18:20   #119

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Spot on Ippocampus. My wife and I will be retired and double handing a Camper & Nicholson 58 ketch. Big stable monster with 55000 disp. Our rule is on deck day-night always clip and always wear a PFD. The time to retrieve some one and the effort is too great. Probabliities at night are impossible. First rule is stay on the boat. We don't fly the kite at night or any other sail that requires leaving the cockpit. I raced for 20 years and we were big winners. I love to go fast and fly it all but we can't play that game without crew. I'd miss her and it would ruin sailing if anything happened. Keep in mind, its supposed to be fun.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 11:29   #120

Boat: Hylas56

thanks for the ideas guys! ... if the wind and sea conditions are good flying it at night is pretty special and irresistible...but i agree risky..must have enough hands on deck for handling dousing ...
and must keep really alert during your watch...

Tags
Jacklines