Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2011, 20:00   #1

Boat: Pearson 323
Winch, Clutch and Deck Organizer Mounting Questions

I am about to begin a project to add an Ocean 16ST single speed winch to my cabin top, to handle the main halyard and 1st and 2nd reefs back to the cockpit on my Pearson 323. Before I start drilling and fitting, I wanted to check the forum, to see if I forgot anything. I am also adding a Garhauer deck organizer (3 pulleys), and a spinlock XAS/3 clutch, ahead of the winch.

The Pearson has a lip on the deck for mating with a dodger bottom edge, so, my lines must clear this lip. I considered drilling through it, but ultimately decided against that. The lip height is about 1-3/8" above normal deck level. So, I must mount the hardware such that the bottom-of-lines clears the lip.

I have done the math, and I need a 1-1/8" thick base for the deck organizer, a 1" thick base for the line clutch, and a 1.5" thick base for the winch. At this height, the lines clear the lip by about 1/8", and I get an angle of approach to the winch of about 7 degrees (Lewmar says 5 to 10 degrees is okay).

Q1: What do you think about making the bases out of high density starboard (instead of teak)? I am considering starboard (the high density stuff), as I don't want to mess with teak maintenance (no matter how small the size!)

Q2: The coefficient of linear expansion of the high-density starboard, for the range of temperatures I expect, was only a couple of thousandths of an inch differential. Do you think this would be an issue, loosening the mounting bolts tension on a cold day, or increasing tension on a hot day?

Q3: To what extent do you think direct sunlight will degrade the starboard over time? If I got 5-6 years service life, that is probably acceptable. Alternately, is there a paint that will stick to starboard, to protect it from UV? I didn't see any starboard with carbon black added (for UV resistance).

Q4: I will have to order this stuff prefabbed, as I have no woodworking tools, nor skills! Any supplier recommendations are welcome.

Q5: Do you think I should chance having the holes pre-drilled, or should I do that, once I start installing? I don't have a drill press at home. Or is there a device that will allow me to drill vertical holes, short of a drill press?

Q6: I saw on one project website, the owner cut out a water drain groove half-across the winch-base top. Is this drain groove needed? I didn't see any mention of this on the Lewmar site/installation instructions.

Q7: The Pearson has a fiberlglass liner in the roof of the galley area. I was going to cut a circle in this, and there is enough space between the liner for me to install backing plates and nuts for the winch and clutch. What would you use to cover this hole, after the work is complete? I am considering a Beckson 6" or 8" screw-in deck plate. What do you think of this? Is there something better to consider?

Q8: I have the lineups figured out for the deck organizer turning angle, however, I don't know the best way to axially align the line clutch with the winch. For example, there are three lines, and looking forward, they are main line to left, 1st reef in middle, and 2nd reef on right. I figure the main halyard is the highest load, so I would preferentially align the winch with that line, correct? Also, for the preferred line, should it align with the tangent point of the drum diameter, or should it be aligned with the center of the winch (or other?) I should note that the distance between the clutch exit, and the winch centerline, is about 14". Comment?

I think that's it for now. I intend to back all of these bases with 12 or 10 gauge SS plates, that are at least the size of the bases. I have someone that will fabricate those for me.

Thanks in advance for advice.
StringBimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 23:10   #2

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Re: Winch, Clutch and Deck Organizer Mounting Questions

Q1. Dont use starboard. There are other alternatives if you don't like teak, but not starboard for an exterior location.
Q2. Expansion and contraction of starboard due to temperature will not loosen the bolts. Starboard absorbing moisture would be more of a concern for me
Q3. If things break down under UV, paint em.
Q4. Can't recommend manufacturers in your neck of the woods. I'd suggest spending the money that youwould have spent paying to have them pre-fabbed on buying tools and teaching tourself. Simple stuff such as you propose doesn't need a master craftsman skills. We all start somewhere
Q5. If you want the holes pre drilled, give the builder the winch, clutch and organiser to work with. Provided you take your time and have even a half reasonable eye, you should be able to drill accurately enough with a hand drill, don't worry about a drill press.
Q6. I'd say not needed.
Q7. If you plan on needing to access the nuts again (and you probably will) a small screw in port sounds ok to me
Q8. In a perfect world, your rope should line up with the tangent to the drum of the winch. Essentially, ideally you want the rope not to run in a straight line throught he clutch to the winch. In the real world, your clutch will cope reasonably well with a bit of misaligment in the angle, so don't sweat it too much.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, winch