Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2017, 21:52   #31

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter
Re: Winch drums - Longevity of chrome plating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Sadly, I'm thinking that finding places to have chroming done is much tougher any more, thanks to the EPA.
Ask any member of your local 'Hells Angels Club' where they get parts chromed for their "Hawgs" or, if you're not on speaking terms with them, try any shop that works on classic cars. But the easiest way is to Google it for your local area.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 01:42   #32

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
Ask any member of your local 'Hells Angels Club' where they get parts chromed for their "Hawgs" or, if you're not on speaking terms with them, try any shop that works on classic cars. But the easiest way is to Google it for your local area.
Yep, the biker aspect of this one I'm familiar with, thanks And I've a few other non-typical chroming resources as well. Though probably not generally available ones.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 04:06   #33

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, you should understand that we often go more than a year between marina visits... We don't have a watermaker,
So all your fresh water is collected from rain, or do you jug it in the tender? Or i suppose you just water up when you fuel up. How much water can you carry. Interested as another water maker-less cruiser.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 15:37   #34

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
So all your fresh water is collected from rain, or do you jug it in the tender? Or i suppose you just water up when you fuel up. How much water can you carry. Interested as another water maker-less cruiser.
We carry 800 litres of water. This normally lasts us 10-12 weeks. Some time within the last few weeks we manage to find an alongside water source... fuel docks, friendly yacht clubs or marinas, even public docks here in Oz. Have not got a viable and convenient rain catcher on this boat, so don't do that any more. Has worked now for the 13+ years we've owned Insatiable II.

Jim
Old 26-03-2017, 15:56   #35

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanVagrant View Post
West Marine is having a deal on Lewmar winches (buy one get one free) so I'm thinking of picking up a couple size 40 Self-Tailers to replace the standard winches on my HR33 Mistral. Unless someone informs me otherwise, I don't see any compelling reason to go with their "Ocean Series" over the standard EVO (even though I intend to circumnavigate with the vessel).

I'm deliberating if I should go with chrome plated bronze or aluminum. Chrome plate looks good when new and would match the classic style of the HR better, but much of the chrome plated bronze installed on the boats I see is pitted.

Thoughts? I'm concerned more with the longevity of the finish than the initial $80 difference.
Are you sure those old winches need to be replaced? My 53 year old, solid bronze (previously chromed but that was gone 20 years ago) winches still work great and I wouldn't trade them for anything.
BTW have you sailed her down from Moss Landing? How'd it go?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 16:45   #36

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

Quote:
I have seven 31 year-old chrome Lewmar Wavegrip winches, the predecessor to the ocean series. The chrome is fine. The only plastic on them is the top cap and the rope stripper, both of which are also fine.

I've raced on boats with the Evo winches. We cracked the drum on one that was around 5 years old. Trust me, that would not happen with the ocean series short of a catestrophic impact.
Same deal, My 32 year old #68 and #44 lewmars still look good. Actually just sent the 44 drums to Nassau Chrome to be redone. 300 a drum standard price here on Long Island anyway. I'll clean them, put in new springs and pawls, and better then the new stuff.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 23:16   #37

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idylles15.5 View Post
Same deal, My 32 year old #68 and #44 lewmars still look good. Actually just sent the 44 drums to Nassau Chrome to be redone. 300 a drum standard price here on Long Island anyway. I'll clean them, put in new springs and pawls, and better then the new stuff.
But are they self tailing? It appears that the OP is making the change to get that feature on his new winches, a change that I can appreciate, having done it on our previous boat. When sailing solo or short handed, it is a worthwhile improvement IMO.

Jim
Old 27-03-2017, 18:54   #38

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

Yes they are ST, but the post is about polished chrome over bronze compared to aluminum .
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 18:56   #39

Boat: C&L Sea Ranger 36, Columbia Payne 9.6

Thank you everyone for your responses, I've got my ST winch issue sorted now, I appreciate all the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Are you sure those old winches need to be replaced? My 53 year old, solid bronze (previously chromed but that was gone 20 years ago) winches still work great and I wouldn't trade them for anything.
BTW have you sailed her down from Moss Landing? How'd it go?
Hey Don - The winches are in fine condition actually, the only reason I'm replacing them is to gain the self-tailing feature. I ended up finding a great deal locally on a pair of used Lewmar ST's which need a couple parts, so ended up purchasing those.

I haven't taken her down yet - I actually intend to remain up in the Bay Area for a few months to sort her out, then head out on my trip from there.
Old 29-03-2017, 19:53   #40

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanVagrant View Post
Thank you everyone for your responses, I've got my ST winch issue sorted now, I appreciate all the input.

Hey Don - The winches are in fine condition actually, the only reason I'm replacing them is to gain the self-tailing feature. I ended up finding a great deal locally on a pair of used Lewmar ST's which need a couple parts, so ended up purchasing those.

I haven't taken her down yet - I actually intend to remain up in the Bay Area for a few months to sort her out, then head out on my trip from there.
Do you want to sell those winches?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 19:16   #41

Boat: C&L Sea Ranger 36, Columbia Payne 9.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Do you want to sell those winches?
Actually, yes I do! Send me a PM if you're seriously interested.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:00   #42

Boat: Valiant 40

Just for the record, pursuant to the original question about the durability of the chrome plating, I just disassembled and cleaned my 31 year old halyard Lewmar chrome waves. The teeth on the interior of the drums still have their plating, which is the first place I would expect it to wear off. Leads me to wonder if they are actually plated or some other alloy.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:28   #43

Boat: Cruisers 375

Quote:
Just for the record, pursuant to the original question about the durability of the chrome plating, I just disassembled and cleaned my 31 year old halyard Lewmar chrome waves. The teeth on the interior of the drums still have their plating, which is the first place I would expect it to wear off. Leads me to wonder if they are actually plated or some other alloy.
Chrome, properly applied, is very tough and long wearing. Tool steels for cutting steel are high-chromium, high carbon variations of regular carbon steel. Cheaply applied coatings are thin, not well adhered, and/or not wear resistant material.

I get steel and aluminum plated/coated nearly every day. One piece would normally get me the minimum charge, less than $300, but I'm a regular customer. $300 for one part sounds like the minimum charge, should be able to throw in a second for the same price. If they are putting an especially hard or thick coating for wear you might pay more for that.

Bikers? Try hot-rod places, car or boat restorers, machine shops. Sounds safer!
30West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:58   #44

Boat: Cruisers 375

In my pocket I have a brass Fisher pen with zirconium nitride coating, a coating near diamond hardness. Contact Fisher and find out who does their coatings!
30West is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rum, winch