Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2014, 12:54   #1

Boat: Albin Vega
Winch size for an Albin Vega

I am shopping around for a self-tailing winch for my Vega, since I've been single-handling her a lot lately. Will a Lewmar 16ST be enough for the genoa sheet? The genoa is 22sq.m or 235sq.ft

Also, any experience with Lewmars? Or self-tailing winches in general? I've never used Lewmars, nor self-tailing winches. Will it really be that much better?
Asmodeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 13:13   #2

Re: Winch size for an Albin Vega

It's a lot better and I like Lewmar's. I'm thinking the little 16 is too small though.... if I'm remembering right I had one on the boom for a reefing winch... seemed a bit too small for that.
Although if you don't have an autopilot, then that may be as handy as an ST winch. either way... you only have two hands.. where to use them? :>)
Also the 16 is a one speed winch. The drum diameter is only about 2.56 diameter/64mm

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:31   #3

Re: Winch size for an Albin Vega

Lewmars are good winches, and self tailing is a nice touch for any boat. As far as size goes, I would look at the primary winches that are on your boat now, and compare diameter, and power, and decide from there. The Vega is a well designed boat , and not too heavy, so the same basic power, or slightly larger should work fine. The cost of larger winches might be small compared to the cost of redoing your winch bases (fiberglass work, or fancy SS fabricated bases) and the time involved. I dont recall if the Vega has secondary winches in the cockpit, but they are very handy for cruising. Just something to think about. Good Luck. _______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Albin Vega, size, winch