Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2015, 09:17   #46

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Winter storage: mast up or down ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Mike, I was equally mildly irritated at the comment regarding laziness. It did grate a little. I did however appreciate the advice offered and had to overlook the comment. 'Surplus to requirements'

Normally I'd have done the same Weavis. Maybe I was feeling a little less tolerant of intolerance yesterday. And I meant it when I said I appreciated ramblinrod's informed opinion. Had he left it there, we'd be having virtual beers instead of knocking heads.

I would agree that if it's easy to remove the sticks, then it's probably best to do so. For small boats, it's a no-brainer. But anyone who has removed large masts knows that no matter what the equipment and skill, there is still a risk of doing unintended damage to spars and rigging. And handing the job over to "professionals" in no way guarantees the task will be done right. We've all seen too many examples of professional yards bungling things when time and profit is added to the equation.

I'm not impugning ramblinrod's opinion or services. I have no way of knowing who he is, or how good a job he does. And I certainly think his opinion on the subject has merit. I just wish he could express it without demeaning others who have a different, and from all evidence, equally valid opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
What are the main reasons to haul out and store on the hard?
In my area, it's one word: Ice

But you're probably right that there aren't enough in-water spots to store all the boats as well.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:04   #47
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

I did not aim my comment at any individual or group, so please don't take it personally.

That some people tend to justify laziness, is a fact, (not that one needs anything other than opinion to post here, and really what this forum is for).

My reason for positing it, was to draw attention (for the benefit of the original poster) to beware that there may be some biases in opinion, other than "What is best for the boat".
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 18:25   #48

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Macbeth: you can see the jury is split on this one. I am in Connecticut where we get a measureable amt of snow. i have wintered with the stick up and down in Catalina 27 and Bristol 35.5...the yard had no preference but i was charged a fee both ways, albeit less leaving the stick up. i arbitrarily unstep the mast every 3-4 yrs to inspect the length of it and replace worn halyards. Only issue i found with leaving stick up is in devising a cover. with stick down i have a wooden frame I've built over which i throw a tarp to protect from sun, ice, snow, etc. much more difficult to do with stick up..thnks Dave
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, storage