Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 21:55   #1

Boat: 44Ft Sloop
Wonder Juice

I'm not sure where else to post this, so here we go. Sorry Mods if I got the wrong forum.

The subject is a Kiwi (New Zealand) product named Prolan Home - Prolan Protective Lanolin - All-Purpose Anti-Corrosive Lubricant. Protective Waterproof Lanolin Grease

I have no association with the company other than as a new user. Good lord! What a product. I've sprayed it on just about everything on my boat other than dinner. For example, I sprayed my anchor warp, foot by foot and turned a hardened savage into a soft manageable rope (25mm laid nylonish). I popped about fifteen ml into my gear box and another 30 into my engine. The resulting quietening was almost mysterious. Rust runs away screaming after a dose.

So then I gave my main and headsails a dose. They also changed from hard-to-handle to pliable.

Then, just for drill I gave me sea-socks a dose. Poom! Instant waterproofing.

I sprayed my prop and got 12 months of zero freeloaders. The manufacturers assert you can spray your antifouling and nothing will stick. Hmmm. I have a bit of a prob with than given the next coat of antifouling may not stick, either.

Highly recommended product.

Cheers
Dpex.

There's one word of advice. This stuff is really hard to remove, so getting deposits on your deck is a bad idea.
dpex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:10   #2

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
I use a similar Lanolin based product called "Fluid Film" from Eureka chemical. New to me but Magic stuff. Really works on the folding bike and does not sling off the chain. Leaves a nice film on my battery connections and other electrical connections. Apparently heavily used by the US Navy. No Petrolem base. Anyone ever use this stuff? Thanks Depex. I will look for the Prolan.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:49   #3
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
I've been using lanocote on exterior hardware and electrical. Have to try some on prop, never thought of that.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:57   #4

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
dpex,
The Prolan company seems to have a number of lanolin based products, which specific product did you use on your props?
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:05   #5

Boat: 44Ft Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
dpex,
The Prolan company seems to have a number of lanolin based products, which specific product did you use on your props?
Just the general spray-on version.
dpex is offline   Reply With Quote