Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2017, 09:56   #1

Boat: 1983 31' Hunter
"Wrap around" storm jibs

Storm jibs.......I'm looking to invest in a storm jib. Since I have roller furling, I'm looking at a "wrap around the furler" jib. Does anyone have any personal experience with ATN Gale sail, The Storm Bag, the Crusader storm sail or any other wrap around? I'm not interested in second and third hand opinions, just first hand knowledge and experience. Thanks in advance!
sharkwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 05:47   #2

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: "Wrap around" storm jibs

No responses in 188 views, FWIW, here is my take.

To haul this sail up over a furled sail presents a large windage area.

I considered 1 for my boat, to cover my 135, and came up with this.

At 48 ft luff, 2" dia. clew/head, and 6" dia. mid height, presents 16 sq ft of windage. Impossible to hold a 1/2 sheet of plywood to 50 knts of wind.

Your figures would be less.
Old 21-02-2017, 07:13   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

Used one (ATN Gale sail) once, on a 45' in 50-60 knots. It worked OK when it was actually flown. Encountered issue was that rigging is time consuming and not easily accomplished in deteriorating conditions. I personally found it's primary value to be keeping the furled jib from coming off, or at least lessoning our concern about that. That said would go with staysail storm jib over this rig if available.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 07:37   #4

Boat: Catalina 320

About 6 years ago I was bringing a Catalina 320 from San Francisco to San Diego with a new ATN Gale Sail aboard. Got hit by a pop-up gale at Pt. Conception, after tying down the main while clinging to the boom I thought about hanking on the gale sail. One glance forward convinced me that going up there was madness. Works fine if you have time to rig it before the storm hits but in large waves and winds it's not worth the risk.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 08:42   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

My friends had one and tried to deploy it in heavy conditions. It turned out impossible due to friction between the sleeve and the furled sail.

They simply unfurled part of the original sail then which basically did the same thing plus the benefit of minute adjustment.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 08:53   #6

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

My experience was similar to the other posters, but I never tried to set one in conditions that required it. I just tried while underway in winds under 25 kts, and found it unworkable. I eventually installed a Solent Stay and had the ATN Gale Sail modified with conventional hanks.
Still haven't had to use it in anger. It just sits in a bag on the foredeck.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 18:46   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

The above comments agree with what I have heard second hand, and what my intuition says. I kinda think it is an item sold at boat shows to inexperienced yotties, but then I'm kinda cynical at times.

I too believe that a storm sail set inboard on a removable stay is a far better solution.

Jim
Old 21-02-2017, 20:47   #8

I second Jim's comment
I have spoken to two seperate people who said the wrap around was unhoistable in anything over 20knts
I sailed with a 'soft' Dynma forestay - luff line storm jib 2 weeks ago in 30+, it balanced the boat well but was unable/ unwilling to put the pressure on the halyard to be able to go well to windward
The detachable inner stays are great with a piston hanked on arrangement , easy to rig and sail to wind like a staysail, wins the prize every time, as it must help with the loading on the genoa foil / forestay

Sent from my iPad.......i apologise for the auto corrects !!!
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib, storm jib