Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2022, 18:10   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31
X-Drive Sails with S-Glass

I am shopping around for new sails (main+genoa) for my 31’ Beneteau — mainly coastal use, no racing. My sailmaker included UK Sails “X-Drive S-Glass” among the various options, and I have no experience with that material / construction technique (other than reading a few brochures and watching a few videos).

I’d be interested in hearing thoughts / feedback from real-life users of this particular type of sails.

Thank you in advance, and fair winds.
Old 19-12-2022, 18:16   #2

Re: X-Drive Sails with S-Glass

No racing? Why would you even consider this?

You are being sold sails that are just not appropriate to your use. Find another sailmaker who knows the difference between cruising and racing, and is less interested in filling his pocket at your expense.
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2022, 18:56   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDepends View Post
No racing? Why would you even consider this?

You are being sold sails that are just not appropriate to your use. Find another sailmaker who knows the difference between cruising and racing, and is less interested in filling his pocket at your expense.

Thanks for the post. You sound rather tough on the sailmaker (and me [emoji846]).

As I wrote, this is just one of various options I have been presented with (the other options obviously include different types and cuts of Dacron).

I don’t know this particular material or technique and hoped that, by asking the members of this forum, something useful could be shared (and learned). I’m definitely an optimist [emoji6]

Fair winds.
Old 19-12-2022, 19:12   #4

I am being harsh on the sailmaker, based on what you posted, and I believe appropriately so. This is not an option that a good sailmaker would present to a sailor who presents a use profile that you describe. Kind of like recommending a Porsche for grandma going to the grocery store. Certainly it is a "better" car than the Ford, but not appropriate for her needs.

I don't mean to be harsh to you. It is always appropriate to be skeptical as the buyer, and I would encourage you to be so. If your sailmaker in not presenting options with his thoughts and opinions, he is doing a disservice. It is not at all true that the most expensive option is the best for everybody.

Just as way of comparison, my sailmaker has always presented to me options, and his thoughts on those options. The most expensive options he has always recommended AGAINST as not suitable to my needs. His recommendations have always proven spot on.

If you actually DO trust your sailmaker, then go with what he recommends. But you are posting here, so I am guessing you haven't bought into his pitch 100%...
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sails