Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2015, 08:52   #31

Location: Rio Grande Valley of Texas, near Brownsville/South Padre Island
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461-rechristened Sweet Pea
Re: 2 Cycle Outboard for Dinghy

Somewhere around $1900. Brady's Marine in San Antonio, TX 210-532-4214
mtm124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 15:11   #32

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm124 View Post
Somewhere around $1900. Brady's Marine in San Antonio, TX 210-532-4214
Thanks!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 15:21   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

They can be bought by commercial users (which has to be proven) but not by recreational users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrinn View Post
I think they can still be bought in the UK. I work from time to time on a tug and commercial vessels can still get 2 stroke outboards, we got a new one last year. I would have thought (but am not certain) that "coded" vessels (coding is required for chartering and commercial use of recreational boats) are in a similar position.

The law that made the change was the EU RCD directive.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 15:33   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For comparison purposes, and if it helps anyone, we bought our Yamaha 25 and Yamaha 15hp 2 strokes (both Enduro models) from OHI Marine in Muscat, Oman (they also have an outlet in Salalah) and the costs were Enduro 15hp OMR825 & the Enduro 25hp OMR1035. The currency is in Omani Rials. This was early 2014.

OHI Marine is a 20 minute walk from Muscat harbour/fish market and a taxi ride back with the motors costs OMR8.

They keep stock of all the Yamaha's, both standard and the Enduro range.

As someone else posted, the Yamaha 8hp 2 stroke is a really great motor.

Our Yamaha 5hp is many years old (bought in 95) whilst our Yamaha Malta 3.5hp is 1994........and yes, we have 4x OB's.

The 25hp Enduro is about the largest motor I can manage single handed on board a moving platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Can you give us the name of the boat shop & what you paid? That's a great motor.
Old 30-09-2015, 16:28   #35

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
For comparison purposes, and if it helps anyone, we bought our Yamaha 25 and Yamaha 15hp 2 strokes (both Enduro models) from OHI Marine in Muscat, Oman (they also have an outlet in Salalah) and the costs were Enduro 15hp OMR825 & the Enduro 25hp OMR1035. The currency is in Omani Rials. This was early 2014.

OHI Marine is a 20 minute walk from Muscat harbour/fish market and a taxi ride back with the motors costs OMR8.

They keep stock of all the Yamaha's, both standard and the Enduro range.

As someone else posted, the Yamaha 8hp 2 stroke is a really great motor.

Our Yamaha 5hp is many years old (bought in 95) whilst our Yamaha Malta 3.5hp is 1994........and yes, we have 4x OB's.

The 25hp Enduro is about the largest motor I can manage single handed on board a moving platform.
I replaced the Honda 30 on my lobster skiff, which I really struggled to keep running well, with a 25hp Yamaha 2 stroke about 10 years ago & have been very happy with the motor. It burns a 100-1 oil mixture, is very fuel efficient & has been really reliable.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 16:44   #36

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

100:1? Wow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 18:08   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot McPherson View Post
Jreiter190,
I didn't mean to imply he needed a 6 hp. I just was saying my 6hp is only 35#. The 6 HP pushes my 3750# sailboat.

I believe the cruise and carry 6hp sold for a short time in the late 80s weighed 35 lbs maybe sold as other brand as well, single cylinder, I believe water cooled. never seen another 6hp water cooled weighing 35lbs. Please provide more info.
Old 30-09-2015, 23:11   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

They are brilliant motors - our last 25hp Enduro was ancient but always reliable. Nice and quick for the longer journeys and sooooooo easy to maintain. We would change the gearbox oil once a year, fresh water flush it regularly (plus a dose of saltaway once a year; we carry a 5 litre container which lasts ages), change the impeller every other year and new the plugs annually.
We do this on each of the outboards. Our small Yams are also old but have always been totally reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I replaced the Honda 30 on my lobster skiff, which I really struggled to keep running well, with a 25hp Yamaha 2 stroke about 10 years ago & have been very happy with the motor. It burns a 100-1 oil mixture, is very fuel efficient & has been really reliable.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:53   #39

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I believe the cruise and carry 6hp sold for a short time in the late 80s weighed 35 lbs maybe sold as other brand as well, single cylinder, I believe water cooled. never seen another 6hp water cooled weighing 35lbs. Please provide more info.

1966 johnson fisherman 6hp

Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:07   #40

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Mercury 3.3 hp 2 cycle on a 210 RIB planes with one person and can be picked up with one hand. I use premium fuel and 50:1 and it has started easily for 5 years.
We have an earlier Nissan 8 hp but it is 54 lbs and heavy on the stern of a short waterline CCA design.

The electric is nice and quiet but does not have speed, power or range. For example, we can tow our boat slowly in good conditions if necessary.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 19:08   #41

Boat: Beneteau 456

A friend just purchased a nice two stroke 8hp Tohatsu in Tortola. Brand New.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
avazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:49   #42

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

If you can wait until you are out of the USA (if you have plans to do so), then acquire a Yamaha Enduro 2-stroke outside the USA. Basic engine, very reliable, parts and service readily availalable. Parts for other major brands are often not readily available outside the USA. It is by far the most widely used engine in Central America and I believe much of the rest of the Caribbean basin too.

For example, Ive lived in Central America (Belize, Guatemala, Panama) for over a decade now and have owned/currently own: Yamaha Enduro, Tohatsu, Honda, and Johnson (No, I dont have an engine fetish...lived on the water and owned several small boats + dinghy). Only the Enduro have I been able to get parts locally, all others I've had to import. Its not uncommon here for a distrubutor to sell a brand of motor, but not stock parts...so dont assume that just because you see bunch of brand name motors on display that the same shop will actually have parts too.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:33   #43

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett

Thanks guys for all the info but i have decided to keep my Nissan 5 hp two stroak...after looking around the cost was way more than i wanted to pay and i am just going to have my 2 cyc looked at and gone thru and take the monies i would have spent on a new motor and invest it in a hoist to get from the stern rail to the dinghy.
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:46   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yup, and in Asia, Middle East and East Africa. Brilliant engines - get the Clymer manual for maintenance if you are unsure of what you are doing (not you Belize!).
All we do is an annual change of gearbox oil, a replacement impeller regardless of whether any vanes are showing damage and new plugs. We do check the fuel filter regularly and always give all the outboards frequent fresh water flushes with a dose of saltaway once or twice a year. We also spray 'liquid film' under the hood - and our engines still look good and it protects the electrics very nicely, WD-40 cannot compare.
Like Belize, we have four outboards; 25hp Yam Enduro, 15hp Yam Enduro, 5hp Yam & a 3.5hp Yam; all two strokes (we presently actually have 2x Malta's as we collected one for a friend until we catch up with him). We used to have a Yam Enduro 8hp and that was also a fantastic engine. Spares are rarely needed but when bought we always try to buy a quantity of consumables for several maintenance periods. We have also found that gearbox oil is vastly cheaper if bought from a car dealer - we bought 5 litres for the price of a 500ml Yamaha branded bottle but with the precisely the same specs - and have used this arrangment for a number of years. We always use a quality oil for fuel mixing as well and again buy this in quantity - usually in 20 litre cans, when available. Our 'big' engines, 25hp for the family runabout and the 15hp on the kids tender, only get used for longer distance travel, otherwise the 5hp and 3.5hp Malta do daily duty and save precious fuel.
For what its worth, IMO, the Yamaha Malta has to one of the best small lightweight motors ever built. Ours was bought second hand in 1995 and is still running suberbly. If we only had one engine that would be our choice.
For maintenance it is also much easier having a gearbox oil pump - nowadays these seem be be all plastic and are pretty delicate. I woe the day I lent out my brass one and the borrower dropped it overboard in deep water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
If you can wait until you are out of the USA (if you have plans to do so), then acquire a Yamaha Enduro 2-stroke outside the USA. Basic engine, very reliable, parts and service readily availalable. Parts for other major brands are often not readily available outside the USA. It is by far the most widely used engine in Central America and I believe much of the rest of the Caribbean basin too.

For example, Ive lived in Central America (Belize, Guatemala, Panama) for over a decade now and have owned/currently own: Yamaha Enduro, Tohatsu, Honda, and Johnson (No, I dont have an engine fetish...lived on the water and owned several small boats + dinghy). Only the Enduro have I been able to get parts locally, all others I've had to import. Its not uncommon here for a distrubutor to sell a brand of motor, but not stock parts...so dont assume that just because you see bunch of brand name motors on display that the same shop will actually have parts too.

Tags
dinghy, outboard