Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2015, 10:26   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: 3M 5200 to fix dinghy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
the zodiac is not hypalon but PVC ,(at least the one I own is not)
Actually Zodiac does still make Hypalon dinghies. Defender shows over 15 Zodiac models in Hypalon.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 10:31   #17

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

That is a recent endeavor for Zodiac. Look at all the used Zodiacs out there--PVC.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 10:41   #18

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

GordMay has an excellent description of how the tell the difference in the thread mentioned a few posts back.
Old 19-04-2015, 12:37   #19

Boat: Valiant 40

I've repaired over 250 dinghies here in the Bocas archipelago (for thrifty cruisers) over a 3 year period and delamination of the tubes from the transom and loose rubstrakes are common occurrences.

For both PVC and hypalon dinks, I used exclusively, REMA's Tip Top SC2000, a two-component adhesive. The stuff, though not cheap, is amazing. If you're in Panama, contact me and I'll give you the distributor's details. Otherwise, search the REMA site for a distributor near you. A one kilo can, with catalyst, costs me about $175 but it's good for quite a few repairs. It'll last for a couple years as long as you put tape around the catalyst bottle's lid, it's a very small bottle, and keep it in the fridge.

So when you're putting your transom back together, make sure you remove the previous glue on both surfaces, that's essential. Many times this necessitates take the whole thing off, cleaning all the attaching bits of hypalon/PVC, and re-gluing. To remove the old glue you can use MEK, a Scotchbrite pad, and elbow grease. Use some kind of glove like nitril.

Regarding the rubstrake; if it's only coming off in a certain area, defate the tube, clean both the rubstrake and tube to get the old glue off as described above. Wipe both surfaces with MEK or acetone and reglue. You'll have to apply a lot of focused pressure on the repair to make sure the surfaces bond well. Wait a few hours then reinflate.

If the whole rubstrake needs to be re-glued, remove the entire thing, lay on a board suspended on saw horses, and use a 3-M Adhesive Eraser Wheel (3M Adhesive Eraser Wheel 3612: Advance Auto Parts) and remove all remnants of glue from the rubstrake. You'll have to do the same thing on the tubes but use a light touch. It is way too easy to burn thru the tube and opening another issue :>). In this instance, you'll want to keep your dink fully inflated.

Tape the top and bottom edges of the tubes using blue tape. This will be your guide for putting the puppy back on. I usually put a reference mark the bow tube and on the rubstrake and that's where I start, at the bow, working my way back on one side of the dink, then the other. That way you won't end up with 6" extra on one side (learned the hard way). Wipe, with MEK, both the cleaned rubstrake and associated tube area, apply glue, and reattach. An extra hand is always welcome to hold the rubstrake steady.
Valiant173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 12:51   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Actually Zodiac does still make Hypalon dinghies. Defender shows over 15 Zodiac models in Hypalon.
Originally, they all were hypalon. We had one that came with our first Insatiable, a 13 footer. It had served 10 yrs in the Mexican sun, made by determined French ladies, we believe. It lasted till it was 15 yrs old. By that time Zodiac had gone to PVC, and possibly robots to weld the seams.

To the OP:

We used the HH-66 on our new PVC tubes, to glue the velcro-stitched-to-PVC- strip for the dinghy cover. Only about 6 months on the bond, okay so far.

Ann
Old 19-04-2015, 13:57   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothillsailor View Post
Probably a dumb question but ....how do you determine if it is hypalon or if it is PVC?
If the boat has welded seams (no glue, 1" wide stripe over each seam), then it is welded out of PVC fabric. If it shows signs of gluing (discoloration at the seams), then it's Hypalon.

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 15:20   #22

Boat: Crowther 15.2m

Hi I used 5200 on mine and it asked 2years till I sold it, clean both surfaces apply to both surfaces and it will Stix like **** to a blanket

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
two fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 15:24   #23

Boat: csy 37

I used 5200 on a seam patch on my hypalon avon because that was all I had. Over ten years and its still there.

And heres another little secret. I had to put a small patch on another hypalon dinghy and again the proper glue was unavailable. Went through the hardware store and noticed that Gorilla Super Glue was recommended for rubber, and actually contains rubber. And the little tubes are two bucks and easily carried in the onboard repair kit. Two years later and the patch is still holding.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 17:46   #24

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

5200 is a good way to stick the owner to the dinghy!

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 19:56   #25

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
5200 is a good way to stick the owner to the dinghy!

S/V B'Shert
We use our dinghy a lot, but considering the long (several days, temp and humidity dependent) cure time for 5200, seems that you would have to sleep in the dinghy for a few nights to become glued down!

Jim, using Ann's computer
Old 20-04-2015, 07:27   #26

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
We use our dinghy a lot, but considering the long (several days, temp and humidity dependent) cure time for 5200, seems that you would have to sleep in the dinghy for a few nights to become glued down!

Jim, if you never have to sleep in the dinghy you and Ann must truly have a successful marriage.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 07:58   #27

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysFORSAIL View Post
If your transom has lost it's seal with the tubes you have a major problem that is difficult to repair. Some pros won't do and some amateurs have done it. My guess is that most transom repairs are not to the satisfaction of the owner. You are ready for a new dinghy.....................
The transom rotted through on my three year old Zodiac dinghy (That's my bad word for Zodiac for the day). Apparently, the transom is not designed to be left in contact with fresh water. The authorized repair shop would not repair it under warranty even though it was supposed to have a five year warranty. It would have needed a new transom and all the glue work.

I bought a replacement (a different brand). The Zodiac is in my yard under a tarp if anyone wants to make me an offer.
Old 21-04-2015, 06:17   #28

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post

;-)

It is I think 24hrs for FC. That's what I use on our sails.

Non FC I think it is about a week.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 09:01   #29
Marine Service Provider

I used fast cure 5200.
svJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 08:48   #30

Do you guys know what is Aquapro made of pvc or hypalon? Cant really find any info on this.
valve79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy