Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2018, 12:39   #16

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
Re: AB Dinghy

I suggest you call Defender and talk to the dinghy department. The owner is usually the one you talk to. He can give you a good comparison of all the brands, including their own brand. I had a Venezuelan Caribe C9X, and it was great. AB was out of my price range when the Caribe died, almost 20 years old. I purchased an Achilles, and am very impressed by it. 9' something with a 15 Yamaha 2 stroke, and it is great. Fast, easy on plane with two, and stable at speed. Caribe quality, from what I heard, is spotty at best, I think they are still in Venezuela, so I would be concerned about warranty. It costs nothing to ask questions, and Defender ships, and is very reliable. There website should have inventory and prices.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:46   #17

I'll put in a good word for Achilles too. Not sure what models they have now, or their prices, but you rarely hear a complaint about Achilles boats. The last one I had was 15 years old and zero leaks. The only that went bad was the ropes around the perimeter which I replaced.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:50   #18

Boat: 53' Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
...how do you have something truck freighted to you?
Sometimes it might seem like magic, but it really is not. I have found that shipping via truck is usually easier than by UPS or FedEx, but you need to know a few simple things:

• If the seller does not use freight, or is unwilling to ship a large/heavy object, use a Broker (I prefer Priority 1)
  • Even if the seller does use a freight company, I can almost always beat their rate with a broker
  • You need to know the package dimensions, shipping weight, class, addresses for pick-up/drop off, and if a lift gate is required at pick-up and or drop off.
  • If the shipper does not know the class, the broker will.
I shipped a 1000lb engine across the country for under $300 with lift gate service at both ends (would have been under $200 without the lift gates.) A 125lb dingy will not need lift gate service.
SailsWithFists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 13:40   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Th issue is a delivery address. Defender has the shipping down pat.
Assumption is you can’t send truck freight to general delivery for example.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 13:57   #20

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42

I have just ordered a Highfield Aluminum (CL340) after considering many including the AB. I had it narrowed down to AB and Highfield. I will know if I made the right decision in 2022. Will let you know!
DeepCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 15:29   #21

Boat: 53' Cutter

Quote:
Th issue is a delivery address. Defender has the shipping down pat.
Assumption is you can’t send truck freight to general delivery for example.
I just borrow an address for shipping while cruising.
SailsWithFists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 15:57   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

AB Dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepCut View Post
I have just ordered a Highfield Aluminum (CL340) after considering many including the AB. I had it narrowed down to AB and Highfield. I will know if I made the right decision in 2022. Will let you know!

I’ve not seen a Highfield but know they are becoming popular.
What worries me is the powder coat, I have never seen powder coat hold up long time on aluminum in salt water.
The only part of that that worries me is where the tubes glue to the hull, I believe that the glue is adhered to the powder coat, and the powder coat to the hull of course.
Having said that I think AB is beginning to powder coat as well.
Old 03-02-2018, 16:21   #23

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Defender spring sale is about 8 weeks away. They sometimes have some’scratch and dent’ deals.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 16:49   #24

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

We have an AL350 (about 11.5 ft) that is 17 1/2 years old.

But we are not full time cruisers, and I keep her under a cover when we are not out. And other than maybe 5 trips down south, sail the Chesapeake.

Still in great shape, but I've had to glue the tubes to the hull once, and might need to repeat before long.

I wanted a light boat, and specs called for 130 lbs, but I weighed it at 160lbs (it has been 17 years now, so these numbers might be off a bit), which I was disappointed to find. Perhaps they had to beef it up because of weaknesses with the first ones.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 17:02   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamgoat View Post
Defender spring sale is about 8 weeks away. They sometimes have some’scratch and dent’ deals.

Yeah, I cant wait eight weeks, I don’t plan on being in the Country then.
However they seem to have a great deal on a 2017 9.5 now.
Surely as the warranty starts at purchase date model year differences on a dink are irrelevant? Are people really that shallow?
Old 03-02-2018, 17:02   #26

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

I've owned 2 ABs, one fiberglass and on AL. Both are quality boats. I've owned the AL dinghy for over 4 years and with a 9.9 it is scary fast.
However, if you are looking to buy from a company that stands up to its warranty, from my experience (Maintaining a RIB) I'd make sure you go with a responsible dealer, and not expect AB to be that responsible party.

Again, my experience with the AB products and dealers is positive, it's just the company behind those products and dealers that I won't recommend.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 17:22   #27

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
What worries me is the powder coat, I have never seen powder coat hold up long time on aluminum in salt water.
The only part of that that worries me is where the tubes glue to the hull, I believe that the glue is adhered to the powder coat, and the powder coat to the hull of course.
I think your memory is the when early-on AB was painting their aluminum hulls. That was a failure. AB is now powder coating.

IIRC, Highfield is Swift from AU. Highfield is manufactured in China (I believe Swift is also now).

I've been very pleased with the quality, but ask in 5 years.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 17:43   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

AB Dinghy

Actually I don’t have any memory of AB’s peeling paint.
However I have decent experience with powder coat on aluminum in salt water. When I built the Radar mast for my little power Boat a few years back, I had the aluminum first hard coat anodized, which of course turns black and ugly on welds, and then powder coated. That seemed to work well, but powder coat on aluminum works of course until just a tiny opening is made somehow and the salt water gets in, then of course the aluminum corrodes and forms bubbles under the powder coat and the powder coat comes off.
Anodizing, like on a mast for instance, seems to last much longer, if you first anodize and then powdercoat, that seems to work, but I suspect it’s really the anodized layer that is providing the protection.
Old 03-02-2018, 17:46   #29

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Actually I don’t have any memory of AB’s peeling paint.
However I have decent experience with powder coat on aluminum in salt water. When I built the Radar mast for my little power Boat a few years back, I had the aluminum first hard coat anodized, which of course turns black and ugly on welds, and then powder coated. That seemed to work well, but powder coat on aluminum works of course until just a tiny opening is made somehow and the salt water gets in, then of course the aluminum corrodes and forms bubbles under the powder coat and the powder coat comes off.
Anodizing, like on a mast for instance, seems to last much longer, if you first anodize and then powdercoat, that seems to work, but I suspect it’s really the anodized layer that is providing the protection.
I certainly understand the concern.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 18:03   #30

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Hi, A64,

Our powder coated Gemini hull (same as used by Swift) is 15 yrs old now. During that time it has been drug up on enough rocky or concrete places, that the bare metal shows along the center of the pvc "keel" rub strake, just plain worn through. There are a few other places it has been gouged away. It is really in good condition, no sign of problems at the glue joints, with any of the 3 sets of tubes it's been through. And no sign of aluminum corrosion under the powder coat, unlike our old Simpson Lawrence windlass, now long gone. Since the dink was set alight after it was stolen, some of the paint was scorched, and although we tried to polish it out, some of it is still lightly discolored.