Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2021, 18:39   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CHB/MT D/C Trawler, 34'
Belt-driven A/C?

Not an expert here but it seems like a big alternator powering a marine a/c unit would be a lot easier. I just replaced the 20 year old Marine Air unit with a Webasto FCF it’s half the size, draws 1/3 less power, and pushes out colder air. Probably won’t last 20 years but…. A 5k window rattler would keep most small boats cool, I’d think you could run that off a large alternator easily.
Moosemiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 04:47   #17

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Belt-driven A/C?

Most folks use their Air Conditioning when at the dock and connected to shore power. No genset is needed.

Some folks anchor and use a genset to run their AC. Of course, you could run the genset and AC while underway if that's your choice. For many boats, the operator is out in the open when underway so that wouldn't help him/her.

I have a friend who rigged up a Walmart window AC unit to a hose connected to a jacket (that he wore) and the AC cooled his body.

And finally, some boats can be equipped with an optional additional alternator that provides relatively high current 120 volts AC when run at or above a certain RPM (emergency vehicles have a similar system to power lights and power tools). With this, you could run the boat's AC when underway or at anchor if you don't mind running your main engine at 1500 RPM or so.
Old 30-07-2021, 05:40   #18

1992 Four Winns 285

Good Day,

I am newer to the larger (30 foot) boating world, so bear with my Rookie moves. Amongst the many items that I have repaired during my "shakout" was the loss of my ac unit. Working brilliantly one day and then nothing. Wont turn on no noises nothing. Can anyone recommend an ac repair person in the Windsor Ontario Canada area?
Joe Gill is offline   Reply With Quote