Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2021, 13:17   #1

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40
Best Inflatable adhesive (and removal)

About a year ago I re-attached the rub strake on my Achilles sport boat. Took several days to remove the old adhesive one crumb at a time on the boat and the rub strake. Went over with acetone several times to remove residue, and came out pretty good- could only tell by the weathering where the strake had been. I re-attached with Polymarine two-part, being careful to get the proportions as close to right as I could. I applied clamping pressure for a couple days. It seemed to be holding.
Until about two months ago. The newly-applied strake was already sagging and falling off- hadn’t even been in the water.
I have ordered a new rubbing strake, and in the meantime I am removing the old adhesive. Though it couldn’t secure the strake, it fights removal as though it was lifetime glue.
So my questions: 1) is there an easier way to remove old glue than carefully scrapping with a putty knife, in some places softening with acetone? I know about a heat gun, but the heat that would remove the rub strake glue will do the same for the seams.
2) I’m not impressed with Polymarine adhesive, and would like to avoid it. Several years ago I had pretty good luck with Bostik one-part, but I haven’t seen that advertised in some time. Are there other choices than Polymarine that can be vouched for?
Old 05-02-2022, 00:08   #2

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30
Re: Best Inflatable adhesive (and removal)

A 2-part contact glue is what professional inflatable repairers use. Check Bostik's product line.
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 18:19   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Best Inflatable adhesive (and removal)

Rema Tip Top SC 4000, for hypalon dinghy, comes in black and "white", a sort of creamy color. You will want to mask before applying. Works great, even under water. It comes in 2 parts, and if you keep the catalyst in the fridge, it lasts for years. One has a problem, often, with a pvc rub strake on a hypalon dinghy. 3m5200 will do that, but it takes for bloody ever to set, about a week to full strength. The SC 4000 does it okay, too.

I don't know what to use if it is pvc to pvc. We've spent lots, but not found one we're happy with. About to try a new one.

Ann

Tags
adhesive, inflatable, removal