Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2018, 18:49   #46
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Binoculars - Traditional or Stabilised???

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Fujinon sends semicomplete glasses to the US where they have laser filters fitted before entering service as M22s with the military. As well as 'Fujinon' they have 'Kama-Tech' and 'Northrop Grumman' branding on them.
Thanks El Ping, that answers my question about why I sometimes see "Made in the USA" Fujinons. I wonder if they use their "best glass" in these models.

And reading between the lines on their spec sheets, it seems that the main difference between the Fujinons 7x50 MTR and the 7x50 FMTR is the "field flattener" lenses. The glass and coatings appear to be the same.

Anyone know how much benefit this is in real life?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 19:20   #47

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Well... the MTR appears to be discontinued but the only diff I can see in the specs is in the eye relief. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compa...USA_206783-USA
One assumes the FMTR is optically superior to the MTR but my tired old eyes probably couldn't tell the difference...

The military M22s are based on the Fujinon Nautilus ... smaller and lighter than the Polaris ( 1.26kg v 1.52kg but only 0.85kg for the Fujinon Mariners).

https://www.opticsplanet.com/fujinon...rs-7x50ar.html

Nice enough glasses but not a patch on the Polaris... the laser filters in the M22 impart a bit of a hue on the image so not so good in poor light. Also the reticule keeps on reminding me that I have curvature of the spine or a permanent starboard list or something...

I imagine the Nautilus are wholly made in Japan. Exporting the carcasses to the US and fitting the laser filters there probably mean they can sell the M22s to the military as 'US made'.
Old 01-02-2018, 19:26   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMetals View Post
..........No one has mentioned the brand in this thread but mine are Swarovski 7 X 50. Simply superb clarity and light transmission. My recommendation is to ditch the idea of also having stabilised binos. There are plenty of other things on a boat where the money might be better spent.
Andrew
"Genial Bee"
Colour me green....

What model of Swarovski do you have? I assume that pre purchase you compared them with bins like the Zeiss, the Steiners and the Fuji Polaris.... I would be interested to read your thoughts..
Old 01-02-2018, 20:48   #49

Boat: Fairweather Mariner/Westsail 39

I have a pair of Fuji Polaris (with compass) that have been in use for about 40 years now and are still excellent. I also have a pair of Steiner Commanders that I've had for five years and they are also still in perfect condition after several thousand sea miles of use. I did have a pair of Fuji stabilized binoculars which i kept in the case unless needed, treated very gingerly, removed the batteries between use, etc and they lasted less than a year ( I doubt that they had been out of the case more than 10 times). They were under warranty, I sent them to be repaired and they broke again almost immediately, unable to withstand the shock of setting them down gingerly on the chart table. They are the single piece of marine gear I am most disappointed with. Now I have a nice yellow waterproof case they once lived in after I threw the stabalized binoculars into the trash where they belonged.

Just my experience. Hope this helps.
squarerigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 23:27   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Thanks El Ping, that answers my question about why I sometimes see "Made in the USA" Fujinons. I wonder if they use their "best glass" in these models.

And reading between the lines on their spec sheets, it seems that the main difference between the Fujinons 7x50 MTR and the 7x50 FMTR is the "field flattener" lenses. The glass and coatings appear to be the same.

Anyone know how much benefit this is in real life?
Dunno... mine are MTRs... never seen or used FMTRs....

MTRs = white lettering on black body .... FMTRs yellow lettering on green body AFAIAA
Old 02-02-2018, 00:53   #51

Quote:
Dunno... mine are MTRs... never seen or used FMTRs....

MTRs = white lettering on black body .... FMTRs yellow lettering on green body AFAIAA
Quote:
What's the F between friends
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 02-02-2018, 04:24   #52

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarerigger View Post
I did have a pair of Fuji stabilized binoculars which i kept in the case unless needed, treated very gingerly, removed the batteries between use, etc and they lasted less than a year ( I doubt that they had been out of the case more than 10 times). They were under warranty, I sent them to be repaired and they broke again almost immediately, unable to withstand the shock of setting them down gingerly on the chart table. They are the single piece of marine gear I am most disappointed with.

Which Fuji IS model was that?

-Chris
Old 02-02-2018, 08:15   #53

Boat: Fairweather Mariner/Westsail 39

The binoculars were the Fujinon Techo-Stabl Image Stabilized 14x40 currently selling (unfortunately) at a discount on-line chandlery for $1300. Given previous posts in this thread it does occur to me they have one use I hadn't considered. if someone breaks into your boat looking for the most expensive binoculars to run off with, they might be lured into stealing those instead of the practical ones.
squarerigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:46   #54

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarerigger View Post
The binoculars were the Fujinon Techo-Stabl Image Stabilized 14x40 currently selling (unfortunately) at a discount on-line chandlery for $1300.

Thanks for model info. I haven't really been looking for reviews, but your experience is the only bad one I've seen (or noticed) for that model...

-Chris
Old 03-02-2018, 05:15   #55

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Thanks for model info. I haven't really been looking for reviews, but your experience is the only bad one I've seen (or noticed) for that model...

-Chris
Same here. I think that’s quite surprising. I’ve had my 14x40 Techno Stabi Fuji’s since 2001 - yes I’ve been careful with them about impact but they’ve seen plenty of salt spray and careful use. Still in perfect operation and clarity after 17 years, so my experience has been good
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 23:40   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
What's the F between friends
It seems that the MTR Poseidons are still available in Straya and at a very fair price... https://www.digidirect.com.au/binocu...r_bp229a-2_501 but for a few bob more... https://www.digidirect.com.au/shopping/printme/13221

And you can still find new Zeiss 7x50s as well .... said by experts in the field of optics to be superior to the Fujis... but at a price which is well beyond my paygrade..... https://www.dccameras.com.au/carl-ze...lars-6646.html

A quiet day here as you can see..... you could check out Jim's MTRs and then wait for my chum Steve to come back from Maria Island and have a look at his FMTRs... he bought them on my recommendation last year...
Old 04-02-2018, 00:20   #57

Quote:
It seems that the MTR Poseidons are still available in Straya and at a very fair price... https://www.digidirect.com.au/binocu...r_bp229a-2_501 but for a few bob more... https://www.digidirect.com.au/shopping/printme/13221

And you can still find new Zeiss 7x50s as well .... said by experts in the field of optics to be superior to the Fujis... but at a price which is well beyond my paygrade..... https://www.dccameras.com.au/carl-ze...lars-6646.html

A quiet day here as you can see..... you could check out Jim's MTRs and then wait for my chum Steve to come back from Maria Island and have a look at his FMTRs... he bought them on my recommendation last year...
Yep, those Zeiss could come with a free set steak knives and a block of flats in Tasmania and still be beyond my pay grade.

The FMTRs from digidirect are very attractive; they currently don't have stock but they reckon they can get them within 14 days. I suspect they don't have stock of the MTRs either and perhaps can't get them. Doesn't matter to me, the added eye relief of the FMTRs is enough to sway me towards them. Just got to get the pennies together...
Old 19-02-2018, 06:51   #58

Boat: Oyster 66

My Fujinon 14x40 and my Steiner 7x50 are often on deck together. If it is rough or very wet then the Fujinon go below, but within easy reach. I use the Steiners when I want a very quick look (no need to focus) and if I want to take a bearing (has a built in compass). They are quite tough, so I don't worry about them so much. For every other use I use the Fujinon. The image is far superior. Even at night. I know it has a narrower field, so in theory and inferior image because of less light gathering ability, but in practice I can't see the illumination difference and anyway the Fujinon's good image and the advantage of stabilisation make it superior.

The proof of the pudding is that I use the Fujnon 90% of the time.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote