Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2020, 04:43   #76

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Binoculars - with or without built-in compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
To each his own, I guess, but there are hundreds of different kinds of situations where a good seaman wants a bearing to something for all kinds of different reasons. I wouldn't leave home without a HBC; I, personally, would feel completely naked without one.
Funny thing is, we're really agreeing. I have and use a compass in my binocs. It's possible to argue, as I have been, that in a small-boat situation like most of us experience, the stanchion method is good enough. No need to get close enough to worry about a few degrees one way or the other.

But of course your argument is technically correct, especially on larger vessels where course changes need to be made, and CBDR determination is required, farther in advance.

Either way, I think we are both recommending spending a few extra bucks for the compass option. For such a small difference, why would you NOT want that ability?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 05:16   #77

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
We use three methods for determining if a target is on collision course or not and every offshore sailor should be able to use these as routine watch keeping procedures: AIS, radar bearing line, compass bearing. With AIS it really helps if you have software that can plot positions into the future, using TCPA. Whenever a target comes within 2nm then we either set a radar bearing line on it (during the night) or we take compass bearings with the binoculars (during the day). When it gets fishy, we use all three.
Sure. We're drifting the thread, but it's interesting. Our procedure is like this:

1. Stanchion method is used by watch on deck to screen targets needing attention. In high traffic areas we have double watch -- visual on deck, and radar/AIS watch at the nav table. We also set AIS alarms and radar guard zones.

2. If the target is not obviously safe, then it gets analyzed by (a) HBC; (b) AIS, and/or (c) radar. AIS is automatically cross-checked with radar as we run radar overlay on the chart, and on the radar screen AIS target carets are automatically presented.

3. If risk of collision is confirmed (CPA < 1 mile TCPA <30 min), then the target is monitored by AIS and/or radar (and of course visually also), and avoiding action is planned. If there is a double watch, then deck watch uses HBC.

MARPA is useless on our radar, so we don't bother with that -- we put EBL and VRM on the target, and then if necessary I do a paper plot, for targets not broadcasting AIS.

Had to do that just last week on a German Navy vessel not broadcasting AIS. After all the various destroyer collisions recently, we are paranoid about naval vessels. I used EBL and VRM, which are superb tools for quick visual feedback, but in this case I ran a paper plot to calculate CPA and TCPA and verify that we were going to pass safely (which we did, just, with 5 cables CPA).
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 05:19   #78

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Funny thing is, we're really agreeing.. . .

Why "funny"? As they say, great minds think alike
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 07:10   #79
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour E 43
Send a message via Skype™ to WolfgangSeaLife

Our compass binoculars get a lot of use: 1. Follow a bearing from a guide book to an inlet.
2. Verify position of GPS in critical navigation area by cross bearings on landmarks or navigation aids.
3. Pointing out to crew or helmsman a direction to any object, instead of "over there" or "2 o'clock" you state a precise direction. "225 degrees"
4. Perhaps most important is determining a collision course. If another ship changes bearing, there can be no collision, but knowing its direction, you want to pass behind it.
5. With a good GPS you would not need all the other navigational functions, like distance to an island, size of an island or lighthouse and more, but any good sailor should be familiar with traditional navigation. A hand bearing compass will do. Best is the Vion held to your eye, used by racers, best stability and ease of reading. Best compass binoculars are by Steiner, many models. Important feature is stability, speed, ease of reading, illumination, and of course brightness of binocular at night, and water proof and shock proof. The cheap ones lose sharpness and precision after a bump.
WolfgangSeaLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 07:32   #80

Boat: CS 36 Canadian Sailcraft

Get it with compass, after 10 yrs you won’t miss the small extra cost. I use mine often. BY
Bill Youmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 07:46   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
I've been looking at getting some actual "marine" binoculars and the most interesting model I've found comes with or without "built-in compass".

Is that a gimmicky thing or something that is truly useful to have for a bluewater / liveaboard cruiser?

Cheers.
I had a pair. With a built in compass. I used them in the navy on my landing craft to grab bearings to land marks, bouys, etc especially in unfamiliar areas But my favorite optical is a 10th power monocular. The strap is long enough to wear over the shoulder or in the pocket of my PFD.
edlepera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 08:31   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
We use the compass all the time and yes it works on steel boats as well! The main use for the compass is to take a bearing on the ships you see at night and detect collision course or not that way. Or to find land features on the map. Or to know where to look for the buoy. You really need the compass.
Also you can hand the bins over and say look at that bird/seal etc. at 220° rather than saying over that way.
paul2884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 08:52   #83

I have an 11 year old pair of Fujinons (Polaris 7x50 FMTRC). They are wonderful binocs with amazing light gathering--it almost seems like night vision. But the compass is _really_ hard to see unless I get my eye position just perfect. And of course it's completely invisible at night. If I were to get a new pair of binocs, I would probably look for something with active illumination for the compass.
DancingDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 08:54   #84

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingDays View Post
I have a 11 year old Fujinon Polaris 7x50 FMTRC. They are wonderful binocs with amazing light gathering--it almost seems like night vision. But the compass is _really_ hard to see unless I get my eye position just perfect. And of course it's completely invisible at night. If I were to get a new pair of binocs, I would probably look for something with active illumination for the compass.
The Fujinon Mariners with a compass that I've got have illumination (so the newer Polaris might also). But I do share the complaint that eye position to read the compass is very fussy.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 09:10   #85

Boat: Oyster Hp 49 Pilot House

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
This is the brand I was looking at. They seem to do everything I want, just waffling about the compass.

Even after this thread I'm still on the fence.

A swedish company called Biltema (biltema.se) are offering Marinkikare for a mere 99€ with illuminated compass.
Huskybeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 09:26   #86

I’ve had a pair with compass since 1985. Wouldn’t buy anything that doesn’t have a good compass. I’ve sailed all over the world with the binoculars and I use the compass constantly.
sailorman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 09:50   #87

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

With.
Old 21-08-2020, 10:01   #88

A nice feature to have and perhaps eventually someone will make a 7x50 with a compass and built-in filters...
Tillikum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 10:04   #89

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

Been using Steiner Commanders for about 30 years. I have found the compass most helpful when passing them to someone to”take a look”. If you can give that person a bearing it is so much easier for them to find the object. I feel ill-equipped with non-compass binocs.
Old 21-08-2020, 11:21   #90

I have a pair of Fujinon Compass binocs that I have had now for 30 yrs. before electronic navigation and AIS they were a very valuable tool. They cost more that a thousand dollars even back then! Invaluable at night because of their light gathering ability. Going into anchorages at night. The compass was excellent at tracking bearings on ships to avoid collisions. Today, not as useful but if the cost isn’t too much of a factor. Still a nice asset to have. I would buy another pair. Yes
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compass