Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2019, 17:35   #31

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: Boarding a RIB from the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
I think this is a technique that anyone who uses an inflatable should learn. If one ever gets tossed out of the boat and a boarding device is not available this could save your butt. It is actually much easier than it looks. One piece of advice; if you use this technique to reboard after snorkeling take off your fins first. If you don't they can get caught on the opposite tube and prevent you from completing the roll into the boat. Don't ask how I know.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 18:26   #32

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSadler View Post
Many tenders have a foil on the outboard. Not only does it provide an easy step to board, but it helps the tender get on a plane with more weight, and stay on a plane at slower speeds. This important in rough conditions to reduce pounding and staying drier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Turn the engine off and stand on the anti ventilation plate which sticks out the back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Friend View Post
Every outboard has a ready made step in the form of the cavitation plate on the engine leg.

Stand on the cavitation plate and pull yourself up using the transom/engine/sponson as a hand grip. It's even easier if there's someone on the rib/tender to give a helping hand.
This.

I thought this was common knowledge. I've never seen one of these plates broken off from someone stepping on it or heard of it, and I literally grew up at a marina/boatyard. It's the easiest and cheapest way to do it.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 19:03   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSadler View Post
Many tenders have a foil on the outboard. Not only does it provide an easy step to board, but it helps the tender get on a plane with more weight, and stay on a plane at slower speeds. This important in rough conditions to reduce pounding and staying drier.
Yes dolfin tail. Very nice addition to an outboard.
sazarac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 20:42   #34

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I think this is a technique that anyone who uses an inflatable should learn. If one ever gets tossed out of the boat and a boarding device is not available this could save your butt. It is actually much easier than it looks. One piece of advice; if you use this technique to reboard after snorkeling take off your fins first. If you don't they can get caught on the opposite tube and prevent you from completing the roll into the boat. Don't ask how I know.
Great, anything goes wrong and you are stuck with your head underwater and your hands jammed and caught in the handles. Personally I have a mental block against this. Could never have courage to do a flip while diving or on trampoline.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:09   #35

Up n out.

The unique links make the ladder foldable for storage but will become stiff when climbing.

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:15   #36

Boat: Catana 471

I don't own one of these, but the dinghy on our last charter had one of these ladders on board. We found it worked very well, and it doesn't swing under the boat when you step on it (the segments bind/lock together when deployed). It may be pricier and fancier than is really required, but then again, might give a bit more confidence that even your weakest swimmers will be able to re-board.

The one we used was tied to the transom lifting eye, and if it hadn't been deployed before jumping in the water, was still easy to reach in over the transom, grab it, and drop over the side tube.

https://up-n-out.com/shop/category/inflatable/

Edit: Ah, see that Montanan beat me to this. Anyway, I can report that it works as advertised.
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:29   #37
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Up n out.

The unique links make the ladder foldable for storage but will become stiff when climbing.

Now that’s a great, safe idea and it folds up very small. $189. It’s now on our list of things to buy for next season.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:49   #38

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian28 View Post
Another way is to put your back to the dinghy, reach behind your head and grab side ropes if there are any, pull your legs up and over your head. Sounds hard but is fairly easy.
That would depend on your age and physical factors.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:11   #39
cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Skeeko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Up n out.

I never knew there was a career in making videos of climbing into a dingy. Where do I send my application.

Sally
Skeeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:09   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeko View Post
I never knew there was a career in making videos of climbing into a dingy. Where do I send my application.

Sally
I would recommend sending your application to members of the Casting Society of America, they are always looking for talent.

Just please don't upload the click bait type videos on youtube which usually have some skimpily clad person that is irrelevant to the subject matter.

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:24   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Southern Cross 31

I did the fast rescue boat course at Stonehaven Scotland years ago. In part of the course, they capsized the rib with a crane in the harbour, there were three of us in it, we had to get out from under the rib, then swim behind it, and trigger the righting bag, then when it righted, we got back in, the first person in, climbed up on the outboard, and over the transom, the next two of us, went over the sponson at the stern, helped by the person that had gotten in. We didn't all go up the transon, as they wanted to show, that there was more than one way to get in. It was a 22 foot rib, and it is hard to get over sponson at rear, but you can do it without help.

Of course, I was young and fit then.
atlantical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 13:29   #42

Boat: 1989 Morgan-44CP

I have owned and used a St. Croix ladder for several years now and it works great, in fact it is the only way my wife can get in the dingy from the water.

Highly recommend it.

jewt S/V Bifrost '89 Morgan 44 CC
New Bern , NC
jewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 14:27   #43

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
That would depend on your age and physical factors.
Actually not that much, I'm 66 and the wife is 67 and we were shown how to do it by a 79 year old. We taught a lady in her early 60s who was shall we say a bit over the ideal weight for her height and she mastered it after a couple of tries. I do recommend trying it in a non-emergency situation a few times, but once you've done it it is surprisingly easy.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 19:11   #44

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
One of the virtues of that technique, I would imagine, is that one is extremely motivated to complete it once started, and a good deal of adrenalin may be involved, given that failure means one''s head remains submerged for a while...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 07:14   #45

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
I'm sure that's really easy for a gymnast.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib, water