Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2020, 15:20   #91

Boat: Hunter 456
Re: Boat Bikes II

I have been looking at the Montague. There one of the best full size folding bike I can find. they are a little pricey but you get what you pay for.
fireman331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 15:56   #92

Boat: McGruer 33'

When I made my choice I used a spreadsheet to graph folded volume - it convinced me that if size was the primary criteria the Brompton was a clear winner (and the fold is neater than most) but I ended up with a Jetstream partly as it was cheaper (I was looking 2nd hand) and I wanted a better ride - particularly front suspension as I have trouble with my hands.

Like you I found the Jetstream ride actually fun rather than just acceptable but if you are fed up with the size I suspect a tricked out Brompton is probably better than the alternatives (at least the ones I looked at). I did find my Jetstream easier to cart around once I made it a tight fitting bag but compared to just flipping the Brommie closed and slinging it in the dinghy it is still a pain.

I did this back in 2013 and it may well have errors but I think it does show why people keep coming back to the Brompton...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike Sizes.png
Views:	109
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	212173  
Idlegreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 16:31   #93

I've owned a few folding bikes and my favourite one is a full sized Fuji folding mountain bike. Folds up in less than 20 seconds, simple Shimano components, aluminum rims. Check out the Gerneral Classifieds and you will see I have one for sale for $150.
mattyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 23:40   #94

We have two Mezzo bikes, aluminium frame 9 speed, the smaller wheels mean you can take it on public transport - many buses etc. Wont accept bigger wheels. Folds quickly, gears are straight forward to work on without a workshop. Only 1/2 the price of a Brompton!
paul2884 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 23:59   #95
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
The small wheels can’t jump kerbs , don’t like pot holes and are clumsy when loaded with groceries and whatnot

The normal size, step thru city bike gets the job done better

i'm with you on that. once you ride a full sized bike you will know the difference
Old 07-04-2020, 00:01   #96

Name:	EE669178-C942-4254-858E-6AEEFC034656.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	427.9 KB
ID:	212186
Served me well for endless miles all over the world.
Mike 440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 00:07   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
i'm with you on that. once you ride a full sized bike you will know the difference
Yah

And go cheap , they don’t last long

Many times your trusty bike must be left ashore

Bikes get lonely when their owners are away and frequently run away

I loose a bike every year or so
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4F201F8A-82B7-449E-ABEF-58D749801DB1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	212188  
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 16:53   #98

Boat: Outremer 51, J80

My wife and I ordered Montague Alstons - 11 speed in hub belt drive - 30lbs. Full size everything...no thanks to the tiny tire bikes - just not stable enough for me especially on dirt rutted streets - it gives us a bit more flexibility and has some nice paniers to hold stuff.
RELENTLESS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:38   #99

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELENTLESS 1 View Post
My wife and I ordered Montague Alstons - 11 speed in hub belt drive - 30lbs. Full size everything...no thanks to the tiny tire bikes - just not stable enough for me especially on dirt rutted streets - it gives us a bit more flexibility and has some nice paniers to hold stuff.

Looks good on paper. Add a front suspension, maybe more perfecter. (Except for that pesky cost thing.)

What parts on it will rust?

My current Downtube folder works well enough, and I like the 8-spd internal hub... and the front suspension does nicely smooth out some of the rough bits...

But the parts at risk for rust are mostly connectors or various sorts. Everywhere X connects to Y, that minor hardware tends to be rusting. Partly my fault, but partly because of materials used...

-Chris
Old 08-04-2020, 06:00   #100

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
. . . What parts on it will rust?

. . .

But the parts at risk for rust are mostly connectors or various sorts. Everywhere X connects to Y, that minor hardware tends to be rusting. Partly my fault, but partly because of materials used...
. . .

A good question. My Jetstream lived on board for something like 7 years, and did get some rust during that time. The frame, suspension, seat post, handlebar,stem etc. is all alu and well painted/poweder coated, so no problem there, but as you said, many of the chrome plated steel bolts and connectors started to show some rust.

I suppose if one had time and attention for it, you would want to replace all those things with stainless hardware, before you first bring a bike on board.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:54   #101

Boat: Outremer 51, J80

Some parts are for sure going to potential rust issues and care/maintenance/cleaning will be a priority. The added protection we will employ is a product from Z-rust which is a Bike cover that we will velcro into our bike bags. It emits a rust inhibitor and hopefully the combination of good care, keeping it covered and the inhibitor will minimize issues.
RELENTLESS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:58   #102

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Some parts are for sure going to potential rust issues and care/maintenance/cleaning will be a priority. The added protection we will employ is a product from Z-rust which is a Bike cover that we will velcro into our bike bags. It emits a rust inhibitor and hopefully the combination of good care, keeping it covered and the inhibitor will minimize issues.

I'm afraid if I buy a Brommie for the boat, I'll have a lot more rust issues, as that bike has a lot more plain steel parts and a lot fewer ally parts, than my Jetstream, including the frame I guess I'll need to be careful.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:06   #103

Quote:
Interesting.

Are there any waxes, polishes, coatings one could use on a bike's steel parts to reduce or block corrosion from salt air? Someone mentioned Boeshield.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:54   #104

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I'm afraid if I buy a Brommie for the boat, I'll have a lot more rust issues, as that bike has a lot more plain steel parts and a lot fewer ally parts, than my Jetstream, including the frame I guess I'll need to be careful.
But you know you're looking at the titanium upgrades, so that will reduce the rust.

And just to stir the pot a bit ... there are/were some Brompton clones built in Taiwan with aluminium frames (Flamingo BP/ BP+ Folding Bike). But not available anywhere that Brompton's lawyers can reach. You could mash up the frame from one of these with the Brompton Ti parts and have very little steel ... But there is a reason that Brompton use steel for the frame.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:03   #105

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Interesting.

Are there any waxes, polishes, coatings one could use on a bike's steel parts to reduce or block corrosion from salt air? Someone mentioned Boeshield.

May work if you're religious about it. Freshwater rinse, often. Spray with something like Boeshield, often. Keep covered or stored, when not in use. Become a slave to the bicycle, always.

-Chris

Tags
boat