Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2020, 18:00   #121

Boat: Endeavour 30 catamaran
Re: Boat Bikes II

Take a look at this one. Lighter than your Dahon and cheaper.

https://www.costco.com/zizzo-liberte...100483464.html
Boat bike rules
1. One cheap enough you don’t mind losing. Your going to want to lock it on shore. Marina overnight, grocery store.
One slip transferring to the dinghy it’s gone or needs an overhaul.No matter how expensive or how well maintained it will corrode on a boat.

2. Small enough you have a place to put it besides strapped to the
lifelines.
3. Carry spare parts. Brake/shift cables and housing. Spare chain with chain tool,Spare tires, tubes, spare spokes and spoke wrench,freewheel or cassette removal tool, and pedals.
4. Spray with Bioshield T9 every time you put it away.
5. When riding carry spare tube, patch kit and pump flashing lights and ID in case you get hit by a truck!
We have 5 years on our Dahon Mariners. Not pretty but still going. Cables replaced twice, tires twice. Freewheel and chain once. Rebuild wheels once due to numerous spoke breakage.
Happy Biking!
landlockedgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 18:47   #122

Boat: 50' aluminium power cat

Dockhead, I'm following avidly looking for a pair of bikes. Is there any reason you ruled out the downtube 8H? I'm not ready to jump quite yet, but the price, 20", IGH and belt, alu frame and most recent brazeon's make it appear quite nice!
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2020, 04:47   #123

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post
Dockhead, I'm following avidly looking for a pair of bikes. Is there any reason you ruled out the downtube 8H? I'm not ready to jump quite yet, but the price, 20", IGH and belt, alu frame and most recent brazeon's make it appear quite nice!
Mine is an older Downtube 8H, internal 8-spd Sturmey-Archer hub, chain drive, front suspension, rear luggage rack. I like the hub, the suspension, and the rack.

It folds OK, but I don't know how it would compare to others.

Lots of plain steel small parts. Probably OK if hosed down with fresh water and then sprayed with Boshield after every use, and dtored in a bag all the time. I didn't do that (thinking the shiney bits might be stainless; nope), so there are several rusty fittings all over thing. I'd know better, now.

OTOH, everything works, even if it looks a bit tatty around some edges. Rides decent. I can carry a boatload of supplies on it, usually inside a milk crate zip-tied to the rack.

I'm only a casual rider, though, or going out for supplies... no distance, if I can help it... so can't tell how it would compare to something like Dockhead would prefer.

-Chris
Old 15-04-2020, 12:58   #124

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlockedgm View Post
Take a look at this one. Lighter than your Dahon and cheaper.

https://www.costco.com/zizzo-liberte...100483464.html
. . .

That actually looks extremely nice for the money. Not for me -- 20", too bulky, derailleur. But a very nice bike.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2020, 13:36   #125

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Mine is an older Downtube 8H, internal 8-spd Sturmey-Archer hub, chain drive, front suspension, rear luggage rack. I like the hub, the suspension, and the rack.

It folds OK, but I don't know how it would compare to others.

Lots of plain steel small parts. Probably OK if hosed down with fresh water and then sprayed with Boshield after every use, and dtored in a bag all the time. I didn't do that (thinking the shiney bits might be stainless; nope), so there are several rusty fittings all over thing. I'd know better, now.

OTOH, everything works, even if it looks a bit tatty around some edges. Rides decent. I can carry a boatload of supplies on it, usually inside a milk crate zip-tied to the rack.

I'm only a casual rider, though, or going out for supplies... no distance, if I can help it... so can't tell how it would compare to something like Dockhead would prefer.

-Chris

Another very nice looking bike, and a real bargain at $1900 with 11 speed Alfine and Gates carbon belt drive (the Bike Friday with that is North of 3 grand). Another alu frame. But 20" wheels -- too bulky for me.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 08:02   #126

After having exhausted the normal folding bike world here something more exotic:

Take a Ride on the Green Side: https://www.hpvelotechnik.com/en/rec...ecumbent-bike/

(Unfortunately too heavy and - folded - too large for my need)
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 09:31   #127
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post
After having exhausted the normal folding bike world here something more exotic:

Take a Ride on the Green Side: https://www.hpvelotechnik.com/en/rec...ecumbent-bike/

(Unfortunately too heavy and - folded - too large for my need)
Before committing to a recumbent try it on for size. With my back thought a recumbent would be an ideal bike for me. Bought one very similar to the above but couldn't ride the damn thing. Could not get started without falling over. If I had a little downhill could get going but still never felt fully in control of the bike. Sure was comfortable to ride if I didn't fall over. Starting on level ground just didn't work. By the time I got my support foot on the pedal to begin cranking, forward momentum had died and I was falling over. Didn't try it for long as my body was taking a beating from bouncing off the pavement so often. Bought the bike used so fortunately was able to sell it for what I paid for it.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 10:29   #128
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Funny, I have no trouble at all on our Rans Screamer and I’ve ridden several other recumbents, a bent so long as it’s mostly flat terrain is a superior design, but suffers from two big, no three big issues.
1. They are big, usually way too big for any realistic storage on a boat.
2. They don’t climb worth a darn, yes I know die yards develop different muscle groups and can climb pretty good, but you can’t stand, and for most mortals, that’s how we climb.
3. They are low profile and are harder for motorist to see, so on our Screamer I have a fiberglass rod and a flag up about 6’. But I believe that a tandem recumbent is such an unusual bike that people see it.

They usually come one of two ways, ASS and USS, for above or under seat steering, I prefer USS as it’s more comfortable to let my arms hang, but back 20 years or so ago the ASS became way more popular, I assume because of the balance issue.
However a bent is also a lot safer than a regular bike as you don’t have nearly as far to fall, excepting the issue that they are harder for motorists to see that is.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat