Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2017, 03:43   #121

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Boat Bikes -- Some Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I don't think you've been reading the thread.

I can go just as far as you on my 20" Jetstream, and just as fast except downhill. I knock out 50 miles in an afternoon without breaking a sweat, and a century would be no problem either, if I could take the time for it. I use the folding bike for longer rides as well as getting groceries.

The wheel size does not affect anything you would notice except ride compliance, and gyroscopic effect. The former is dealt with by using a full suspension; the latter you have to live with. That was exactly the formula of the original Moulton bike -- small wheels and full suspension. I believe some bicycle speed records were set with Moulton bikes which still stand.
Sure you can go those distance but not with the speed an ease you can on a road bike with it's geometry (if you buy the right size bike) and the 700 x 23 wheels

I got way in to cycling after racing beach cats for 15 years and rode with the triathletes and bike racers in Pensacola. Besides the weekend 50-70 mile rides I was doing a couple 25 mile rides after work during the week. I also completed several 60-70 mile rides and a few centuries the fastest being in around 5 hours

Point is just cruising in the peloton at 23-25 mph, I'm thinking you'd be expending a lot more energy on one of those 20" folding bikes than on a normal road bike that fit you

It took me quite a few months to get my bike adjusted correctly so I wasn't hurting during a 70- 100 mile ride. Mainly it was the cleats on my shoes and the seat/saddle that was giving me trouble. Plus I got some wider handle bars

My last bike was 59 cm with old school Mavic Ksyrium SL Wheel Set similar to the ones in this link

Mavic Ksyrium SL SSC Road Wheel Set, 700c, Clincher, Shimano/Sram, 9-10 Speed | eBay

I actually dusted off my bike and road it 23 miles on Sunday AM. I think I'm going to get back into cycling a bit since I have put on a few pounds. I've just been sailing these last few years and running. (and light workouts) I had to get a new battery for my old Cateye Astrale 8 (w/cadence) cylo computer which I replaced yesterday. I watch cadence more than speed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01806.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	412.3 KB
ID:	150814  
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 03:53   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Granted 90% of American cyclists are just reg folk who ride ~10 miles per year. But some other percentage are serious riders. Check these folks out: Folding Bikes - Bike Forums
If you are age 57 and older and cycling on any type of bike for more than say 50-100 miles per week, you are doing great and should keep it up.

I had to go back to cycling because I kept pulling a calf muscle running.

The cycling will help that heal but now I have realized how much I've missed cycling and they have installed/completed all these near bike lanes here and it's a bit less of a chance you'll get run over while out for a ride

I still like to take my longer rides closer to 0700 - 0800 on Sunday mornings though (and maybe one or to shorter ones after work per week is the plan)
Old 28-06-2017, 04:02   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I just finnished about 30 miles on my 20" dahon breaking in a new knee brace.
Also the rack on it is rated for 35# . Sits close to the ground so standard saddlebags wont fit quite right so im making my own out of sunbrella ( leftovers) will post pictures when im done with that project
A 30 mile ride sounds like a fun day.

I'm thinking I'll do something similar this weekend while out in the country.

You see maybe 5 cars during a 30 mile ride where I grew up. (if you know some of the old coastal roads)

It was sometimes the highlight of your afternoon if you saw a car pass while on your tractor all day long! That and the occasional deer etc, but if you were plowing there'd be tons of sea gulls similar to this
Old 28-06-2017, 04:16   #124

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
If you are age 57 and older and cycling on any type of bike for more than say 50-100 miles per week, you are doing great and should keep it up.

I had to go back to cycling because I kept pulling a calf muscle running.

The cycling will help that heal but now I have realized how much I've missed cycling and they have installed/completed all these near bike lanes here and it's a bit less of a chance you'll get run over while out for a ride

I still like to take my longer rides closer to 0700 - 0800 on Sunday mornings though (and maybe one or to shorter ones after work per week is the plan)
Yes. Cycling is the absolute superlative form of exercise in my opinion, if you do it right. It's the only form of exercise I know which can be done without pushing any single muscle into anaerobic mode. Get your cadence right, and if you have enough gears, and it's like flying. Or sailing.

I love it, and cycle at least 100 miles a week when I'm not at sea.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 04:17   #125

Quote:
Yes. Cycling is the absolute superlative form of exercise in my opinion, if you do it right. It's the only form of exercise I know which can be done without pushing any single muscle into anaerobic mode. Get your cadence right, and if you have enough gears, and it's like flying. Or sailing.

I love it, and cycle at least 100 miles a week when I'm not at sea.
Some nice info here for those of us over 60:

CYCLING PERFORMANCE TIPS -
Old 28-06-2017, 04:23   #126

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Some nice info here for those of us over 60:

CYCLING PERFORMANCE TIPS -
That's very interesting.

I'm not over 60 yet, but getting there.

I'm not all that athletic, but I don't feel that much less strong than when I was 30, and I think I can attribute any difference to the difference in body mass (skinny then; normal now). My resting heart rate is about 55.

I'm prepared to start declining, as we all must (and it sure beats the alternative, as they say), but I hope to be able to make up for it to some extent by gradually increasing the amount of exercise. I'm already doing that and am in better shape than I was five years ago. Cycling really helps a lot.
Old 28-06-2017, 06:25   #127
cruiser

A boat bike needs to be good at many things, not just keeping up with an imaginary peloton. Today Pam and I went into Split, Croatia (old town) on our Bromptons. Getting in and out of the dinghy was a snap, unfolding the Burley trailer a snap, then riding into the extremely pedestrian old town was easy and could not have been done on a full size. Think in terms of trying to pedal extremely slowly in a crowded Turkish market surrounded by people.

Then we went grocery shopping and brought forty pounds of stuff back to the boat along with the bikes, trailer, and us on the dinghy. We also stopped off at a restaurant for lunch, with the Bromptons parked at the cafe table along side us.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 06:31   #128
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
My late wife dealt with knee issues through her adult life due to a trauma. At one point she gained more motion. She decided to ride a bike again after many years. I purchased a nice mountain bike, changed to road tires, and a comfort seat. The pedals where the grippy metal ones common on Mt bikes some years ago. Wearing hiking shoes, she was riding a hard packed trail and just clipped a fence post. Here injured leg was in the up position, max bend, and wasn't able to slide her foot of the petal. She went down, with a twisting motion, foot hung up on the petal and suffered a trimalleolar fracture of the ankle, with two plates, nine screws, and three months recovery. If the TKR isn't a complete success, with no limitations, I would consider staying on a smoother pedal to make it easier to get off the pedals.
Thanks good feedback.
Beth is (now) not so fit nor agile (she is trying to improve both) and (understandably) feels vulnerable around her knees, and the knee user instructions do say specifically to avoid twisting motion/torque. We just dont know if the pedal twist out is enough force to cause concern. Her doctor is basically against any sort of twisting, but she could ride so much better, and get more fit (and have more fun) with better pedals.
Anyone else with bionic knee experience with 'clipped in' pedals - particularly curious about the twist out motion?
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 06:43   #129
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'm not all that athletic, . . . . My resting heart rate is about 55. 50 miles .
. . 100 miles . . . easy
Dock, You are WAY WAY above average fitness. Good on you. But when you are talking to others it might help if you realized where you stand.

My personal fitness has been going downhill since I was about 25 and was in honest 'Olympic' shape (Jimmy Carter/Moscow we did not go never liked politicians after that). And while our offshore sailing was extremely healthy, it destroyed my legs. But I have to say I am pleased how quickly they are coming back after only 5 weeks on the bike now. I still occasionally get passed and dropped by faster riders, but it's relatively rare now and only if they can sustain over 20 for a good long stretch. Probably going up to Vermont in a bit to see how I stand vs the hills up there - that will be good for my lungs which are hard to train up on the flat.

I totally agree that biking is a super mode for fitness. I personally prefer the shorter/higher work mode of biking for training, but the great thing is you have all sorts of options.

And the gear is generally really excellent quality (generally unlike sailing). My garmin bike computer is the only piece which I think could use serious refinement - but even it works flawlessly for what it does (the mapping/navigation just is not 'modern').

Btw regarding cadence, and throwing in a bit of sailing, I was interested to see the NZ AC cyclors using a relatively low cadence - I would guess around 60. It is different than 'real' biking because there is no wheel momentum, but still interesting from a pure work efficiency stand point.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 00:11   #130
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
A boat bike needs to be good at many things, not just keeping up with an imaginary peloton. Today Pam and I went into Split, Croatia (old town) on our Bromptons. Getting in and out of the dinghy was a snap, unfolding the Burley trailer a snap, then riding into the extremely pedestrian old town was easy and could not have been done on a full size. Think in terms of trying to pedal extremely slowly in a crowded Turkish market surrounded by people.

Then we went grocery shopping and brought forty pounds of stuff back to the boat along with the bikes, trailer, and us on the dinghy. We also stopped off at a restaurant for lunch, with the Bromptons parked at the cafe table along side us.
Something else which can be done with two Bromptons.

My wife needed to catch a bus to the airport this morning, and the bus stop was two miles from our anchorage outside Split. She rode her Brompton to the bus stop while I trailered her suitcase and handbag on the Burley trailer. On my way back, I trailered her folded Brompton back to the dinghy.

The set up continues to help pay for itself.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1307.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	150871   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1308.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	150872  

Name:	IMG_1304.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	150873   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1306.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	150874  

Old 29-06-2017, 04:56   #131

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Sure you can go those distance but not with the speed an ease you can on a road bike with it's geometry (if you buy the right size bike) and the 700 x 23 wheels

I got way in to cycling after racing beach cats for 15 years and rode with the triathletes and bike racers in Pensacola. Besides the weekend 50-70 mile rides I was doing a couple 25 mile rides after work during the week. I also completed several 60-70 mile rides and a few centuries the fastest being in around 5 hours

Point is just cruising in the peloton at 23-25 mph, I'm thinking you'd be expending a lot more energy on one of those 20" folding bikes than on a normal road bike that fit you

It took me quite a few months to get my bike adjusted correctly so I wasn't hurting during a 70- 100 mile ride. Mainly it was the cleats on my shoes and the seat/saddle that was giving me trouble. Plus I got some wider handle bars

My last bike was 59 cm with old school Mavic Ksyrium SL Wheel Set similar to the ones in this link

Mavic Ksyrium SL SSC Road Wheel Set, 700c, Clincher, Shimano/Sram, 9-10 Speed | eBay

I actually dusted off my bike and road it 23 miles on Sunday AM. I think I'm going to get back into cycling a bit since I have put on a few pounds. I've just been sailing these last few years and running. (and light workouts) I had to get a new battery for my old Cateye Astrale 8 (w/cadence) cylo computer which I replaced yesterday. I watch cadence more than speed
All decent cyclists watch cadence, not speed

Contrary to what you write, it does not inherently take more energy on a 20" bike. Rolling resistance is slightly higher, but air resistance is slightly lower, and on balance, the advantage may actually be with smaller wheel bikes -- note the Moulton speed record setters. You will be able to corner somewhat better on a large wheel bike, for a given tire width, because of the longer contact patch. You will have better ride compliance with bigger wheels, but I have a full suspension to make up for that . The suspension, with air springs and adjustable rebound damping, gives the lushest, most gorgeous ride I ever had on any bicycle.

The main issue with folding bikes is the COCKPIT. Most of them don't have good geometry, and usually the cockpit is too short. But folding bikes made for serious riding, like mine, or like Birdies, etc., have perfectly reasonable cockpits which are just like those of good road bikes.

I have different bicycles on land including an older road bike, built myself on a custom Reynolds 531 frame with Dura Ace components, which was a pretty hot bike in its day. The 20" Jetstream is not slower than the road bike at all. In fact, and remarkably, the frame is a bit stiffer and pedaling efficiency a bit better. The Jetstream is quite a bit heavier, which you notice on the hills. But I can ride with any group of serious riders -- if I could keep up with them on my road bike, I can keep up with them on my Jetstream. Except on fast downhill runs, but I was never any good on those even on full sized bikes.
Old 29-06-2017, 05:01   #132

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Something else which can be done with two Bromptons.

My wife needed to catch a bus to the airport this morning, and the bus stop was two miles from our anchorage outside Split. She rode her Brompton to the bus stop while I trailered her suitcase and handbag on the Burley trailer. On my way back, I trailered her folded Brompton back to the dinghy.

The set up continues to help pay for itself.
Yes, we get it

The Brommie has the best fold in the business. I could definitely not get two of my bike, in my dinghy, and still have room for people.
Old 29-06-2017, 07:32   #133
cruiser

Quote:
Yes, we get it

The Brommie has the best fold in the business. I could definitely not get two of my bike, in my dinghy, and still have room for people.
Just adding to the "observations" as indicated in the thread title. Just in case some readers are weighing their options.

BTW

"Cadence" never won a race. Speed wins.
Old 29-06-2017, 07:48   #134

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Boat Bikes -- Some Observations

Quote:
Just adding to the "observations" as indicated in the thread title. Just in case some readers are weighing their options.

BTW

Decadence is more my speed.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 08:23   #135

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

BTW

Yes, but you will never get speed, before perfecting your cadence. Speed is just the product of strength applied via perfect cadence and motion.

But AFAIK you are or were a pro or semi-pro bicycle racer (track, right?), so who am I telling.

Tags
boat